Marantz and Denon Announce New A/V Receivers with Dolby Atmos Sound

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
It's official: D&M subsidiaries Marantz and Denon have jumped on the Dolby Atmos train. Between the two companies, three new A/V receivers and one pre/pro have been announced with Atmos support. How many channels of audio are needed to pull this off you ask? The Denon AVR-X4100W and Marantz SR7009 will boast 9.x channels of audio, while the Denon AVR-X5200W and Marantz AV7702 will support up to 11.x channels of sound. Want to know more about the supported configurations? Click to keep reading!

Read the Marantz/Denon AV Receiver Dolby Atmos Announcement

Are you ready to "heighten" your surround sound experience with more speakers? Share your thoughts and let us know which AV receiver interests you the most.

A

astr0b0y

Enthusiast
I'm totally aboard already, but would like to hear it first. I'm planning to replace my 7 year old receiver this year so the Denon 4100 will be my focus unit to start with. A 5.1.4 setup sound just right and not really too overboard. It will be interesting to learn about what the specs recommended for the .4 speakers.
I like my 5.1 set up but I'm still excited to hear what this new format can do. I'm also hoping that DtS's format will supported too.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Gives me a reason to replace my 809. Not that I really need one...

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
If this is just another matrix option I don't see the need. Now if BD's come with an Atmos track that is another story.

J

Jor4President

Enthusiast
Dolby Atmos is nice.... but does it have subEQ HT?!

A

astr0b0y

Enthusiast
Specs are:

• 7.2 Amplification: 7 x 125 watts into 8 ohms (200 W / 6 Ohms)
  • DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD and Prologic IIz, Audyssey DSX, DTS-Neo-X
  • Compatible DSD 5.1 optimized via Denon Link HD
  • 8 inputs and 3 HDMI 2.0 ARC 3D, Deep Color, xvColor, 1080/24p, CEC, 4K/60 Passthrough, Zone 2
  • Pure Color: UHD 12-bit 4:4:4 and 24p (4:4:4 10-bit and 60 im / s)
  • Sources 3/3 areas: ability to stream different connected via HDMI HDMI HDMI out + Zone 2 sources
  • InstaPrevue (PIP HDMI)
  • Video processor V8003 Analog Device AD: 1080p upscaling, and 2160p/60 video configurable aftertreatment
  • ISF Certification
  • Audyssey MultEQ XT32 Pro Ready, Dynamic Volume, Dynamic EQ and Audyssey LFC
  • Variable cutoff frequency
  • Circuit DDSC-HD with AL24 Processing Plus
  • Denon HD LINK (Coaxial) with reduction technology Clock Jitter Reducer
  • DLNA, AirPlay, Windows 7 & 8, UPnP, Wi-Fi and integrated Bluetooth
  • Graphical OSD and 3D color with setup wizard
  • USB & UPnP: FLAC 192/24, WMA, MP3, AAC, WAV 192/24, ALAC 96/24, DSD 128, AIFF, Gapless playback
  • DLNA 1.5: Network Streaming, Automatic Update, vTuner Internet Radio, Flickr, Spotify
  • Made for iPad / iPod / iPhone: Direct connection via USB, Denon Remote App
  • Pure Audio mode, Compressed Audio Restorer, Direct
  • 5 x RCA Phono 1 MM, 3in/3out Composite, 2 Optical, 2 Coaxial, FM antenna, Ethernet, 2 preout Sub, PREOUT 13.2, Front USB, 11 pairs of terminals, two pairs of terminals assignable Surround Back or Bi-amping , or Speakers B, 2 x 12v trigger, IR in / out, detachable power cord.
  • Zone 2 (audio / video (composite, component or HDMI) and Zone 3 (audio)
  • Optimization bass for the front speakers if used without subwoofer
  • Front with two buttons (source volume)
  • Sleep Timer function for the transition to standby mode adjustable up to 120 minutes in increments of 10 minutes
  • Audio Level Memory function can compensate for different levels of signals between each input source.
  • Power consumption 670 W
  • Dimensions (W x H x D): 434 x 167 x 379 mm
  • Weight: 12.3 kg
Available in September indicative prices of € 1,499.

Doesn't look like any SubEQ.

denon-avr-x4100w.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
SpenceJT

SpenceJT

Audioholic Intern
Exciting news, with Dolby's Atmos being announced for the likes of Onkyo, Denon, etc.

Upon hearing this news, I am wondering if I will need to re-think my speaker choice and placement options.

Here is my system in its current 7.2 channel configuration.
After.jpg - Axiom Message Boards

The Axiom M60's were added in place of the old M22s (which had been on a pair of the FMS-16 stands). My M22s are currently sitting (not connected) atop of the right and left oak towers of my entertainment center.

My current plan is to upgrade to either the Denon X7200 AVR once it becomes available, with the fallback of the Denon X5200 if I find the X7200 to be out of my range.

My M22s will be placed back onto their stands and positioned as "width" channels (with the right hand side to be moved in behind the M60 when not in use as the basement stairs come down to the right of the door).

I had planned to create a pair of matching oak mounts (to the top front of the towers) for a pair of QS8s which were to be used as a height channel.

Now I am thinking that placement of the QS8s will not be optimal for use as an overhead "Atmos" channel. I know that the QS8s will do well at dispersing the audio, but am unsure as to how they will sound being so close to the front soundstage.

I am hesitant in cutting or modifying my acoustically absorbent ceiling, as running an extra pair of cables through the heavily insulated ceiling cavity above will be nearly impossible, and the ceiling is not a "typical" drop-ceiling providing space enough to slide up/over tiles as needed. It is "CeilingMax" and it only allows about 1.5" of space between the tiles and the joists above them.

Ideas? I am currently considering fabrication of a pair of forward protruding "outriggers" (for lack of a better term), which can mount to the top of the towers and angle up and forward to mount the QS8s 3-4 feet forward of the main speakers. It may look ...interesting.

I am totally open to ideas or opinions that do not involve me dismantling my ceiling or entertainment rack to mount speakers and run cables. ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis