Marantz and Definitive Technology Atmos System

A

Adam Murguia

Enthusiast
Hey Forum,

First post here. I've been learning a lot about AV equipment watching Audioholics YouTube videos. Funny thing is, I bought my Atmos AV system before all that learning. But thank god, I didn't go for the bouncy house version of Atmos. It's for new construction, so still in the box. It arrived on a sizable palette yesterday. I think it's gonna be baller, but would like opinions and I'll ask a couple specific questions at the end. It's an in-wall / in-ceiling system because it's a relatively small room (25' long 18' wide) and we didn't want the clutter of speakers and cables. The specific speakers were selected to fit in the wall space we had. Here's the system:

POWER CONDITIONING:
Furman Elite-15 PFi

SEPARATES:
1x Marantz AV8802A
2x Marantz MM8077
1x Definitive Technology SubAmp 600

SPEAKERS:
L/R Speakers: 2x Definitive Technology DI 6.5LCR
Center Speaker : 1x Definitive Technology CS9080
L/R Surround Speakers: 2x Definitive Technology UIW RSS III
Rear Surround Speakers: 2x UI RCS III
Subwoofers: 2x Definitive Technology IW Sub 10/10
Ceiling Speakers: 4x DI 6.5S

So all of that said, here's a few things I'm curious about:

• Are the receivers, amps and speakers well matched? Is the Marantz equipment overpowered for Definitive Technology?
  • That center channel speaker is advertised as full range. Really? Can I really set that up as a large center channel speaker?
  • IW Subs is how I went. I got two, but I'm a little concerned about the thump. Accuracy and detail is more important to me than "boominess" - but I'm still concerned they may not keep up.
  • The rear surrounds are atypical because of the space. They are a bit directional. Is that gonna screw me up?
  • The subs say they HAVE to the use Definitive Technology amp. Really? That amp doesn't have balanced inputs and when driving two subs doesn't have discreet channels - only one LFE input. Can I use a different amp?
Anyway - that may be a lot for a single post :)

Cheers!

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
...I bought my AV system before all that learning...
Since you already PAID for everything, I think people may be a little reticent to say too much. :D

• Is the Marantz equipment overpowered for Definitive Technology?
  • Can I really set that up as a large center channel speaker?
  • IW Subs is how I went. But I'm still concerned they may not keep up.
  • The rear surrounds are atypical because of the space. They are a bit directional. Is that gonna screw me up?
  • The subs say they HAVE to use Definitive Technology amp. Really? That amp doesn't have balanced inputs and when driving two subs doesn't have discreet channels - only one LFE input. Can I use a different amp?
1. Marantz amp is fine, especially if you need to match the aesthetic of the Marantz 8802.
2. I would set every single one of your speakers as SMALL.
3. In-wall subs may not be as powerful as In-Ceiling subs.
4. I think directional surrounds are just fine.
5. You can use any brand of external sub amps for any passive subwoofers. You could even use Crown amps with gain/volume controls.

https://www.amazon.com/Crown-XLi800-Two-channel-Power-Amplifier/dp/B00AR0A3V4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1504723121&sr=8-3&keywords=crown+xls+1000

https://www.amazon.com/Crown-XLS1502-Two-channel-Power-Amplifier/dp/B011X2HTZC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1504723121&sr=8-5&keywords=crown+xls+1000

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sa1000-subwoofer-amplifier-rack-mountable--300-811

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If they say it needs their amp it may be due to built-in dsp for the sub as a guess for a reason but could simply be marketing but then DT isn't known for much in the world of subs (couldn't pay me to use one of their "subs").

If you want to take advantage of your pre's ability to set different delay/level for two subs (via XT32/SubEQ) then it appears you need a separate amp for each sub since the subamp only has the ability to take a single input (even if you use left/right inputs it will sum them per the manual). If the subs are equidistant from your listening position shouldn't be an issue in any case. Most sub pre-outs are unbalanced rca, if you wanted to use a balanced connection (is there a long distance between pre and subamp?) then you chose the wrong sub/amp.

ps FWIW there is no particular reason you must use DT subs with their speakers....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis