Many question regarding the purchase of amplifier

D

DRO111

Audiophyte
Hello,

About 10 years ago I bought an amplifier Yamaha AX-396 and m73 Mission speakers with Numark dual CD player.
I loved the set until recently my amplifier burned out, due to the computer I had been using on it....:( and now I have to buy a new one.

I recognized many deficiencies of my current amp, that I would like to have them on my new one. Since the way of listening music has changed (meaning the source) I am buying an amplifier that:
- can be connected to the the computer via HDMI and WIFI (great response when changing songs...)
- can be connected to TV via HDMI
- can be connected to phones and tablets via wireless (android and IOS)
- has the possibility for home cinema (7+1)
- has a great sound quality of the music, that I am playing on cd player.
- has the great output and quality of sound (that I have a possibility to change the speakers for more powerful ones in the future)

I have searched the web and so far I am interested in Yamaha Avantage RX-A2030. What do you think about it?
Could you please help me to decide.
I do not understand the difference between HIFI Amps (are they Stereo Amps?) and Home cinema Amps? What is the difference? As far as I understand Yamaha Avantage RX-A2030 is Home cinema Amp?

Is it true that Home cinema Amps can not have as good sound quality as HIFI Amps?
What do you think about YAMAHA brand? How it is ranked among Amps?

Would you suggest me any other brand, model? Why?

I would be very happy for any of your help

Dro

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You are talking about a receiver, not an amplifier. What you've described is pretty much available on nearly every midrange and higher receiver on the market currently. The difference between an Audio/Video Receiver (AVR) and a stereo receiver starts with the fact that a stereo receiver has only 2 channels of output; aka stereo while an AVR has multiple channels. Stereo receivers typically do not have HDMI, so that may rule them out even if you are only interested in stereo sound. Yamaha is a good brand IMO.

D

DRO111

Audiophyte
markw: amp had the ventilation on top of it, but there was computer which also get really hot after a few hours of usage....

Would you suggest me anything else for that money? Pioneer, Sony, Marantz, Denon anything else?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I'm fond of Marantz and Denon myself but the most important thing is to make sure you get all the features you need. Try to keep whatever unit you get cool.

J

JMJVK

Audioholic
Is it true that Home cinema Amps can not have as good sound quality as HIFI Amps?
What do you think about YAMAHA brand? How it is ranked among Amps?
I think some high-end AVRs used on two channels would be very hard to discern from high end stereos. There's a lot of snobery, and sound being subjective, many are inclined to dislike an AVR for stereo use, but if your not using the DSP for artificial surround, and just use them in a 2.0 config, many are quite capable.

Yamaha makes some great stuff. For an amp with all the Doodads you want, I think they are a perfect match to your needs.

I would not discount using an older model AVR or amplifier model if there's a good deal to be had. You can always use a BD player or streamer for music purposes, and an external BueTooth receiver should you insist on it. (Decent for playback in cars, but only so-so in a home, IMO.) Don't forget to look at Kijiji and Craigslist if your near a metropolitan area. Search for the big names Like Yamaha, Marantz, Harman Kardon, Denon et al. Models only 1,2 and 3 years old can be had for very cheap and get you much more mileage for your dollar. Some models can be updated to support 3D by flashing the firmware.

Have fun shopping... :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis