Magnepan MMG or Paradigm Studio 40s

P

papostol

Junior Audioholic
HELP!!!!!!!!!!! I love them both. The MMGs are super tricky to set-up but sound awesome when dialed in. The Studios are also great and have more dynamics.

The downside of Paradigms are they're expensive when you get the center and surrounds to match.

I have a 24' by 14' room. Please help!!!

crashguy

crashguy

Audioholic
In my humble opinion, it's an apples to oranges comparision.

The speakers you mention will sound completely different, and require vasty different set-ups. I would hazard a guess that the Maggies will not give you the dynamics you may want for HT. The Paradigms are a fine speaker, but the maggies (if set up properly) could have the edge in 2 channel music listening, if you prefer the dipole sound characteristics.

If you listened to the Maggies in a store demo, go back again, and instead of sitting in the sweet spot chair they set up for you, get up and take a step to the right or left. The image and sound quality will totally fall apart. Not that the Maggies are bad speakers, but ribbon technology has some major drawbacks to accompany its advantages.

This may be a real disadvantage if you have the guys over to watch the latest blockbuster action film. The guys sitting on the edges of the couch will hear he movie as if they have pillows over their ears.

C

cownd

Junior Audioholic
papostol said:
The downside of Paradigms are they're expensive when you get the center and surrounds to match.
Paradigm is very well known for the best bang for the buck - Your statement doesn't make sense. I'd give the edge to paradigm over the MMG's, especially in HT.

P

papostol

Junior Audioholic
The Maggies are $1,200 for a complete 5 channel set-up. Five Paradigm Studios will run in excess of $2,000 (and that's for the 20s). I agree that they're a good value but It will take me some time to buy all five speakers.

Thanks for the response!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis