Magnepan MG12 *better* than 1.6?

M

marty

Enthusiast
After auditioning several "box" speakers, I grew attached to B&W's 703s with their matching center channel. This weekend I decided to audition Magnepans, and I must say they impressed the you-know-what out of me. So much so I'm going back next week for another listen, but I think I'm sold on the Maggies. They sounded great (eventually- see below) and the price is certainly right, especially since I'm looking for a 7.1 system.

Here's my problem. I started with the 1.6s, and I found them to be quite harsh and way too bright. The ones I listened to did not have the jumper in place to limit the high end, so I'm going to listen to that next week.

Then I switched to the MG12s just by moving the speaker cable- all the electronics (amp, CD player, etc.), CDs and room were identical. The sound field exploded with depth and blew away the 1.6s. I noticed that where the subwoofer would add a bit more punch to the 1.6s, a sub was required for the MG12s as the bass was really lacking. Except for that, the MG12 outperformed the 1.6 across the board.

Most of what I've read about the 1.6s against the MG12s were that they sound almost identical, except that the 1.6s would add more bass, and provide a bigger sound stage. Based on my listening tests, I cannot agree of course- it was night and day. The 1.6s did not impress me at all while the 12s were awesome.

Now, I'm not exactly looking to justify the $700 more on the 1.6s, but I'm curious of anyone has first-hand experience with both the 1.6s and the 12s. Has anyone else noticed a major difference like this between the MG12s or the 1.6s? Is there something else I can try with the 1.6s? I read one review where the guy switched the L and R ones which opened the sound for him. Who knows...

I just want to be sure I'm hearing the Maggies the way they are supposed to be heard, and if I go with the MG12s I don't want to miss something with the 1.6s, that's all.

Thanks!
Marty

S

Sdpt

Audiophyte
What speaker did you finally choose? I am not satisfied with my 1.6's. I recently hooked up a pair of MMG's and the sound opened up dramatically. Maybe I'm crazy but I'm thinking of switching to MMG or MG12 and selling 1.6

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis