M&K V10 Sub Problem

B

brett10293

Audiophyte
I just purchased an M&KV10 sub that doesn't seem to be hitting the way it should. Its currently connected to an old Denon AVR3806 but that is being replaced with a new NAD receiver today. With the crossover at 80hz and the volume knob at 12:00 (halfway), the sub isn't even audible against the M&K LCR950s that are connected. I've connected two other subs (Paradigm PS1000 and Velodyne VRP-1200) to the Denon receiver and they play just as I expect them to. I've gone through the settings on the Denon receiver numerous times and still get nothing. I've connected the M&K sub to two different Yamaha receivers and get the same result. Placement of the M&K sub isn't ideal, but then again the other two subs performed just fine in the same spot.

Does anyone have any trouble shooting ideas before I chalk this up as a defective unit and send it back? If I adjust the volume knob all the way up, or adjust the sub volume on any of the receivers, the sub gets louder, but still nothing compared to what it should be (based on an old M&K 8" I had back in 91).

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
My guess would be that you are accustomed to ported subwoofers, and are underwhelmed by a sealed subwoofer. Depending on the size of your room, one sealed sub may not be sufficient to pressurize your listening space.

The question becomes, do your prefer the tight accuracy of sealed subs, or the booming thunder of a ported sub? (that can sometimes be overdriven and create distortion, 'port chuffing') I am a strong advocate of multiple subs, but many people find them difficult to integrate into a living room.

Just don't give up your sealed sub in exchange for a ported one, with out being sure!

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
My guess would be that you are accustomed to ported subwoofers, and are underwhelmed by a sealed subwoofer. Depending on the size of your room, one sealed sub may not be sufficient to pressurize your listening space.
+1.
The question becomes, do your prefer the tight accuracy of sealed subs, or the booming thunder of a ported sub? (that can sometimes be overdriven and create distortion, 'port chuffing') I am a strong advocate of multiple subs, but many people find them difficult to integrate into a living room.

Just don't give up your sealed sub in exchange for a ported one, with out being sure!
This!

I went from a SVS PC 20-39 (ported) to dual Rythmik E15 (sealed) and had a similar initial experience. I got to listen to the old one again, lot of output, but quality of bass is not in the same league.

Needless to say, now everything is dialed in, I have more output and extension too.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis