M&K speaker placement

F

fred1942

Audioholic Intern
I bought the M&K 750 Select speakers about 10 years ago. I recently acquired the M&K s150 left, center, right and two K55 tripoles. I have a new Onkyo 5009 that will allow me to connect up to 11 speakers and two subs. So, my question is how to arrange them. I am thinking the three 150's will be left, right and center. The 750's will be wides. The 550's will be highs. The K55 tripoles will be surrounds. Will this work? Any issues with timbre matching? Where should I point the speakers? At the primary listening position? I will be mounting all of them on walls except for the wides. I also would like to get another sub to match up with the M&K v1250. Can't find one. Will an M&K vx1250 match? What other sub would you recommend? Thanks for any thoughts.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
I bought the M&K 750 Select speakers about 10 years ago. I recently acquired the M&K s150 left, center, right and two K55 tripoles. I have a new Onkyo 5009 that will allow me to connect up to 11 speakers and two subs. So, my question is how to arrange them. I am thinking the three 150's will be left, right and center. The 750's will be wides. The 550's will be highs. The K55 tripoles will be surrounds. Will this work? Any issues with timbre matching? Where should I point the speakers? At the primary listening position? I will be mounting all of them on walls except for the wides. I also would like to get another sub to match up with the M&K v1250. Can't find one. Will an M&K vx1250 match? What other sub would you recommend? Thanks for any thoughts.
Nice!

Yes, the S150s across the front.
The K series aren't the THX tweeter that's in the s150s, but that doesn't mean it's a bad tweeter, it's just a different one. I don't think you'll notice any timbre issues since it's side's and rears.

I'd use the S150s across the front, the tripols as sides (ear level, aligned with listening position), the 750s as rears. Then I'd play with the 550s as heights. I don't see there being much advantage to using any speakers as wides, your S150s already have a great soundstage and it could even degrade the soundstage (combing, etc.).

I'm even hesitant on using heights, although I've heard a few people liking them so I'd say for sure give it a good. Really, if you don't mind tinkering, I'd try a few different options and see what you like best...hey, maybe you'll like the wides...

But for sure S150s for the front, tripols for the side, 750s for the rears. I've used a very similar configuration before (I had s150s, ss150s and 750s) with great success.

One thing to note, the S-150s actually like a lot of power. You may want to consider separates in the future for those.

The subwoofer is a good subwoofer but I'd recommend two.

F

fred1942

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for your input. Don't know what to do about the sub. Would like two, but no more M&K v1250. Could I try a different manufacturer such as HSU?

F

fred1942

Audioholic Intern
Also, do I need to point the s 150's at the primary listening position?

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
The S-150s left and right have some angle to them, versus the center is straight. You can play with toeing them in, but mine were just kept straight. They are pretty forgiving, with a wide soundstage.

The reason for having two subs is more for evening out the room's bass response than output. There are lots of articles on multiple subwoofer placement in the Audioholics articles section, also lots of threads on it, plus we can help you with your specific room.

Yeah, with the mains it's best to stay within the same brand, but for subwoofers it doesn't matter as much. Your speakers are designed to be crossed over at 80Hz, which is common anyways. I've heard good things about HSU, but only demoed them in less than ideal conditions. What's your budget and room size?

Some room photos and basic dimensions will help a lot.

F

fred1942

Audioholic Intern
The S-150s left and right have some angle to them, versus the center is straight. You can play with toeing them in, but mine were just kept straight. They are pretty forgiving, with a wide soundstage.

The reason for having two subs is more for evening out the room's bass response than output. There are lots of articles on multiple subwoofer placement in the Audioholics articles section, also lots of threads on it, plus we can help you with your specific room.

Yeah, with the mains it's best to stay within the same brand, but for subwoofers it doesn't matter as much. Your speakers are designed to be crossed over at 80Hz, which is common anyways. I've heard good things about HSU, but only demoed them in less than ideal conditions. What's your budget and room size?

Some room photos and basic dimensions will help a lot.
Thanks. Room is about 20x26, 10 ft. ceiling, open to kitchen. How do I send pics in this forum?

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
You click the yellow square with a mountain in it to 'insert image.'

Your room is sizable enough to require some horsepower on the low end, especially being open to the kitchen. I'd now recommend two subwoofers for both reasons of flattening the frequency response AND for output.

What's your budget for subwoofer(s)?

How loud do you listen or want to listen?

How many people do you typically watch movies with? (asking this for soundstage reasons...i.e. if it's just you, one subwoofer you can get pretty good results, but once you move to two people two makes more sense)

F

fred1942

Audioholic Intern
You click the yellow square with a mountain in it to 'insert image.'

Your room is sizable enough to require some horsepower on the low end, especially being open to the kitchen. I'd now recommend two subwoofers for both reasons of flattening the frequency response AND for output.

What's your budget for subwoofer(s)?

How loud do you listen or want to listen?

How many people do you typically watch movies with? (asking this for soundstage reasons...i.e. if it's just you, one subwoofer you can get pretty good results, but once you move to two people two makes more sense)
I am also thinking two subs. I have an M&K V1250thx. Can I match it with something other than M&K, or should I sell it and buy two others alike? Can probably spend $2000 before wife goes crazy on me. Movies are 50% and classical or jazz music the other 50. Usually it is just me and wife, but we entertain a lot and could have up to 40 people watchin super bowl or such.
Also, I am getting old and still can't figure out how to attach pictures or drawings. Clicked on the yellow mountain and it is asking for a URL. What I would like to attach is a drawing and some pictures that are located in my computer under My Pictures. Could you please walk me through this step by step. I just joined this forum yesterday, but not born yesterday.

F

fred1942

Audioholic Intern
Here are some pictures of my current setup with M&K 750 Select. I will be adding M&K s150 LCR and two M&K K55 tripoles. My current sub is M&K V1250. I would like to add another sub, or sell the M&K and get two subs alike. My current TV will go away and be replaced by an 80 inch. The cabinet above the TV will be placed on the floor where the current TV is and new TV mounted above the cabinet. The left and center M&K 150's will be mounted on the shelf above where the cabinet is now. The right M&K 150 will be mounted above the fireplace in that opening. The K55's will go on the wall adjacent to the couch just below the ceiling.

Need advice on matching another sub to M&K or possibly getting two alike subs. Where should I place the subs? I have an option to place them on opposing walls facing each other.

Family room 001.jpg

Family room 002.jpg

Family room 005.jpg

Family room 006.jpg

F

fred1942

Audioholic Intern
Here are some pictures of my current setup with M&K 750 Select. I will be adding M&K s150 LCR and two M&K K55 tripoles. My current sub is M&K V1250. I would like to add another sub, or sell the M&K and get two subs alike. My current TV will go away and be replaced by an 80 inch. The cabinet above the TV will be placed on the floor where the current TV is and new TV mounted above the cabinet. The left and center M&K 150's will be mounted on the shelf above where the cabinet is now. The right M&K 150 will be mounted above the fireplace in that opening. The K55's will go on the wall adjacent to the couch just below the ceiling.

Need advice on matching another sub to M&K or possibly getting two alike subs. Where should I place the subs? I have an option to place them on opposing walls facing each other.

View attachment 10085

View attachment 10086

View attachment 10088

View attachment 10089
I have now figured out how to add pictures as you can see from my previous post. I am looking for a sub that will be used for 50% music and 50& movies for under $1000. Most of the music I listen to is classical or opera. Any recommendations?

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief

That wall is tough, how are you going to mount the 80"?

You want the S-150s to be ear level or as close to it as possible, and as close to symmetric with the walls. I understand the wife/SO, walls, decorations and other things need to be considered and what compromises your willing to make. Also, with the 80", your center channel will be fairly high. Careful not to mount the TV too high, remember that it should be fairly close to eye level. A lot of people mount them too high.

The S-150 left I'd put on a stand or wall mount where the artwork is, ear level. The right I'd either use a wall mount with a swivel, ear level again, above where the subwoofer is... or an adjustable stand. The center should be directly above or below the TV, and the TV should be center between the speakers.

For the subwoofers I'd consider HSU VTF-15H's. I think the M&K is a great subwoofer, but for the output required for todays movies I think it will fall short, and to get even room response in your room it's going to be really hard with one subwoofer across those couches.

F

fred1942

Audioholic Intern
That wall is tough, how are you going to mount the 80"?

You want the S-150s to be ear level or as close to it as possible, and as close to symmetric with the walls. I understand the wife/SO, walls, decorations and other things need to be considered and what compromises your willing to make. Also, with the 80", your center channel will be fairly high. Careful not to mount the TV too high, remember that it should be fairly close to eye level. A lot of people mount them too high.

The S-150 left I'd put on a stand or wall mount where the artwork is, ear level. The right I'd either use a wall mount with a swivel, ear level again, above where the subwoofer is... or an adjustable stand. The center should be directly above or below the TV, and the TV should be center between the speakers.

For the subwoofers I'd consider HSU VTF-15H's. I think the M&K is a great subwoofer, but for the output required for todays movies I think it will fall short, and to get even room response in your room it's going to be really hard with one subwoofer across those couches.
As you can see, I have a challenge. When I drop the cabinet down to floor level I will put casters on it. I will frame the open area with 2x4's and cover the opening with a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood. Then mount the tv on this just above the cabinet. The only place I can find for the center channel is on the shelf above the TV pointed down at the couch. Now for the other two speakers. I do have stands, but they take up floor space and I have the issue with the door into a spare bedroom being in the way on the left side. What about mounting the left 150 on the shelf and the right above the fireplace on the recessed column? I would point them down toward the couch. I have some omnimounts. Sub location is not a problem as I have room to experiment. But the 150's, are my issue. What effect am I going to create if the are on the shelf pointed down? Or the one in the recessed area over the fireplace?
Really appreciate your help and value your expertise.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
As you can see, I have a challenge. When I drop the cabinet down to floor level I will put casters on it. I will frame the open area with 2x4's and cover the opening with a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood. Then mount the tv on this just above the cabinet. The only place I can find for the center channel is on the shelf above the TV pointed down at the couch. Now for the other two speakers. I do have stands, but they take up floor space and I have the issue with the door into a spare bedroom being in the way on the left side. What about mounting the left 150 on the shelf and the right above the fireplace on the recessed column? I would point them down toward the couch. I have some omnimounts. Sub location is not a problem as I have room to experiment. But the 150's, are my issue. What effect am I going to create if the are on the shelf pointed down? Or the one in the recessed area over the fireplace?
Really appreciate your help and value your expertise.
If by the shelf you mean the one almost at the ceiling, I think it's a big trade off.... I mean, you have to weigh sound quality versus aesthetics and which you weigh more. S-150s off axis response is good, but, that high is asking a lot. The question is really how much you care about the sound versus the room aesthetics. Or how much the wife will let you get away with. :) And those are all reasonable things to address.

If you can wall mount the S-150s ear level for the L and R, and wall mount the center pointed down at the listening position thats probably the ideal situation that is still relatively piratical.

If you could wall mount the left in that recessed area it would get it away from the wall a bit and clear up floor space. Granted it still sticks out. The Center I'd probably mount right above the TV pointed down, the right I'd side bracket mount as well.

Using the door as a reference, I'm still having a hard time seeing how an 80" would fit on that wall with any reasonable symmetry for placing the speakers.

I admit to being a little stuck for suggestions. I've even considered the wall that adjoins the guest room since that's clean and you could drop wires down that wall...but then you couldn't see the TV from the kitchen and I'm not sure how important that is to you.

Ideal? Nix the fireplace and make the wall flat. Then you can wall mount the speakers on brackets and center the TV.

F

fred1942

Audioholic Intern
If by the shelf you mean the one almost at the ceiling, I think it's a big trade off.... I mean, you have to weigh sound quality versus aesthetics and which you weigh more. S-150s off axis response is good, but, that high is asking a lot. The question is really how much you care about the sound versus the room aesthetics. Or how much the wife will let you get away with. :) And those are all reasonable things to address.

If you can wall mount the S-150s ear level for the L and R, and wall mount the center pointed down at the listening position thats probably the ideal situation that is still relatively piratical.

If you could wall mount the left in that recessed area it would get it away from the wall a bit and clear up floor space. Granted it still sticks out. The Center I'd probably mount right above the TV pointed down, the right I'd side bracket mount as well.

Using the door as a reference, I'm still having a hard time seeing how an 80" would fit on that wall with any reasonable symmetry for placing the speakers.

I admit to being a little stuck for suggestions. I've even considered the wall that adjoins the guest room since that's clean and you could drop wires down that wall...but then you couldn't see the TV from the kitchen and I'm not sure how important that is to you.

Ideal? Nix the fireplace and make the wall flat. Then you can wall mount the speakers on brackets and center the TV.
I suggested the other wall to my wife, but she likes to watch TV from the kitchen. The sound is much more important to me than the looks, but then I'm already treading on thin ice. We have decided on a 70 inch TV instead of the 80. That helps a bit with the placement problem. I think your idea is the best one, so, mount the left in the recess, ear height, the right on a stand in front of the fireplace so I can get the symmetry correct with the TV, the center may be able to fit on top of the cabinet under the TV once I put the cabinet on the floor on casters, if not, wall mount it above the TV. Ordered a HSU yesterday. Will order another if I cannot intergrate it properly with the M&K 1250. That about does it. I really appreciate your help. Will let you know in a week or so how things worked out.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
I suggested the other wall to my wife, but she likes to watch TV from the kitchen. The sound is much more important to me than the looks, but then I'm already treading on thin ice. We have decided on a 70 inch TV instead of the 80. That helps a bit with the placement problem. I think your idea is the best one, so, mount the left in the recess, ear height, the right on a stand in front of the fireplace so I can get the symmetry correct with the TV, the center may be able to fit on top of the cabinet under the TV once I put the cabinet on the floor on casters, if not, wall mount it above the TV. Ordered a HSU yesterday. Will order another if I cannot intergrate it properly with the M&K 1250. That about does it. I really appreciate your help. Will let you know in a week or so how things worked out.

Yeah, I'm fortunate to have dedicated room for my theater with front projection, but like your wife, I like to have a TV I can see from the kitchen and have an open space much like yours. What I did was mount a 70" Samsung in the living room (which is open to the kitchen like your setup) and then got a 36" Samsung for the kitchen mounted like a picture frame. The thing is that the smaller sets are so inexpensive now that it's almost negligible. Then the TV in the kitchen runs off zone 2 and the main TV runs off zone one of a receiver. Since the receiver already had a zone two pre-out, all the TV in the kitchen cost me was $450 and then I just used a pro-amp for a couple hundred bucks to power that zones (which I also use for music) inwalls.

I can snap some photos this weekend if you want (I actually intended too anyways, since my pro's and joe's thread has fallen out of date).

Another thing to consider is using a guest room as a dedicated room for your theater and keeping the living room a more modestly priced setup.

I had an extra guest room and it worked perfect as a home theater room, if you have an extra room that might be ideal (plus less room for people to stay over haha).

For the subs, check out this article from Audioholics:
Home Theater Multiple Subwoofer Set-Up & Calibration Guide — Reviews and News from Audioholics

Take note on the section about mixing subwoofers. Also some great setup tips.

F

fred1942

Audioholic Intern
Yeah, I'm fortunate to have dedicated room for my theater with front projection, but like your wife, I like to have a TV I can see from the kitchen and have an open space much like yours. What I did was mount a 70" Samsung in the living room (which is open to the kitchen like your setup) and then got a 36" Samsung for the kitchen mounted like a picture frame. The thing is that the smaller sets are so inexpensive now that it's almost negligible. Then the TV in the kitchen runs off zone 2 and the main TV runs off zone one of a receiver. Since the receiver already had a zone two pre-out, all the TV in the kitchen cost me was $450 and then I just used a pro-amp for a couple hundred bucks to power that zones (which I also use for music) inwalls.

I can snap some photos this weekend if you want (I actually intended too anyways, since my pro's and joe's thread has fallen out of date).

Another thing to consider is using a guest room as a dedicated room for your theater and keeping the living room a more modestly priced setup.

I had an extra guest room and it worked perfect as a home theater room, if you have an extra room that might be ideal (plus less room for people to stay over haha).

For the subs, check out this article from Audioholics:
Home Theater Multiple Subwoofer Set-Up & Calibration Guide — Reviews and News from Audioholics

Take note on the section about mixing subwoofers. Also some great setup tips.
Thanks for the tips. I would like to see your pictures. I have come up with a plan that my wife approves for mounting the left and right speakers. The right front speaker will be mounted on the shelf just above the fireplace pointed at the listening position. This places it about 5 feet up from the floor. The left front will require some construction on the wall adjacent to the bedroom door just left of the inlet where the pictures hang. Behind this wall is a closet that we seldom use. I am going to cut a hole in this wall into the closet equidistant from the floor as the right speaker and insert an enclosure to mount the speaker in so it will be flush with the wall and then also point it at the listening position. Center speaker will mount on the wall just above where the new TV will go unless I have room to insert it below the TV. What do you think?

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for the tips. I would like to see your pictures. I have come up with a plan that my wife approves for mounting the left and right speakers. The right front speaker will be mounted on the shelf just above the fireplace pointed at the listening position. This places it about 5 feet up from the floor. The left front will require some construction on the wall adjacent to the bedroom door just left of the inlet where the pictures hang. Behind this wall is a closet that we seldom use. I am going to cut a hole in this wall into the closet equidistant from the floor as the right speaker and insert an enclosure to mount the speaker in so it will be flush with the wall and then also point it at the listening position. Center speaker will mount on the wall just above where the new TV will go unless I have room to insert it below the TV. What do you think?
Yeah, I got caught up this weekend, will do soon.

Your idea sounds like a good compromise with the wifey :)

You might want to aim the speakers that are at 5ft down a bit toward the couch. Because sitting you'll be at more like 3ft floor to ear depending on how tall your couch is.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis