M&K MX-70 subwoofer ?

algernon

algernon

Audioholic
Hi All,
I was just given a M&K MX-70 subwoofer by a friend. I have not yet had a chance to hook it up. I looked at M&K's website for info, but all they have is a generic owners manual for it, without any specs. It is a discontinued model and I couldn't find any specs on google either. It is self powered with two 8" drivers, one is pointed into the cabinet. It is not ported.

Does anyone have one of these or know anything about it? response, amplifier power, etc. I'm just curious because I'll be setting up a home theater as well as a music system in the den and was trying to figure out where this would be a better fit.
Thanks

algernon

algernon

Audioholic
Seems to work with a few minor problems:
1) Volume Knob causes static when turned.
2) Missing top grill

Seems to go pretty deep, but not a lot of output. Maybe a low power amp?

Looks cool when in use as there is lettering on the woofer:

Attachments

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
From what I recall thats a great sub. Very tight and goes pretty deep. But I think its more of a music sub. I think if you goto Radio Shack you can get some cleaner for the volume. Try turning it off and turining the knob back and forth a good bit. This will sometimes get rid of the static.

Very Nice !!! Especially for FREE !!!

algernon

algernon

Audioholic
Thanks anamorphic,
Rotating the volume knob as you suggested completely fixed the problem. Thanks!

algernon

algernon

Audioholic
Thanks for the link. Yeah, I saw that. The one I got is the Mx-70, though, not the MX-70B. The page indicated the 70B has a phase selector switch, mine does not. Maybe this is the only improvement thay claim for this model over the MX-70.

From test tones and music, it definately hits below 30 Hz. It also seems to be very accurate and quick. I've been listening to it with some Athena Bookshelves. (60 Hz) It blends well and it really is compact. I don't think it would be good for HT though. It just doesn't have that room shaking output.

One of the drivers had some foam deteoriating. I fixed the tear with a small piece of paper and that liquid electric tape stuff. So far it seems to be holding up, but I havent really maxed it out since the repair, so we'll see.

H

happy540i

Junior Audioholic
Why dont you contact M&K and have the speakers repaired. Thay do come with a 10 yr. warranty.

G

Greg453

Audiophyte
Miller & Kriesel MX-70 Powered Subwoofer

algernon,

I realize it has been a number of years since you first posted your questions about the Miller & Kriesel, MX-70 powered sub that was given to you. In fact, you may have now replaced it with another sub. However, if you do still have it, I can tell you anything you want to know about it as I have one in mint condition that I bought many years ago. It has 2) 8" drivers in a "push/pull configuration" and has a 125 watt amp. But, it will put out a huge amount of sound. Mine does have the low pas filter (phase) and volume control and I also have a brand new high pass filter still in the original box, that that I purchased for it but never needed it because I had the same filter built into my Denon AVR-4802r. But, it is a great subwoofer and would still be great for a small Home Theater room or a bedroom. I actually still have the original owners manual for it. Originally, the sub sold for $1090 and it was well worth it. Obviously you can get a sub for less than that today but not one of the same quality as an M&K. Anyway, if you should still have your MX-70 and have any questions about it such as placement or really anything, feel free to contact me here on the forum. I wish I would have seen your comment a long time ago.

G

Last edited:

KLT

Audiophyte
algernon,

I realize it has been a number of years since you first posted your questions about the Miller & Kriesel, MX-70 powered sub that was given to you. In fact, you may have now replaced it with another sub. However, if you do still have it, I can tell you anything you want to know about it as I have one in mint condition that I bought many years ago. It has 2) 8" drivers in a "push/pull configuration" and has a 125 watt amp. But, it will put out a huge amount of sound. Mine does have the low pas filter (phase) and volume control and I also have a brand new high pass filter still in the original box, that that I purchased for it but never needed it because I had the same filter built into my Denon AVR-4802r. But, it is a great subwoofer and would still be great for a small Home Theater room or a bedroom. I actually still have the original owners manual for it. Originally, the sub sold for $1090 and it was well worth it. Obviously you can get a sub for less than that today but not one of the same quality as an M&K. Anyway, if you should still have your MX-70 and have any questions about it such as placement or really anything, feel free to contact me here on the forum. I wish I would have seen your comment a long time ago.

G
Now it's been even longer. I have the exact ame subwoofer and it's been working great for years. It does have tendency to blend better with music then HT. With that said I use for a living room HT and it has plenty of power to handle HT. When used with kEF towers and a VX 3200 you can get an incredibly rich misd size room experience. I've considered moving to definitive cube for the power but the mx-70b has continued to perform such that i don't feel the need to upgrade.

M

Mightymouse

Audiophyte
Hey, if u guys see this.... Did all mx70b subs come with high pass filters?

Thanks

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
They had a cap between the speaker level inputs and outputs, giving a 6db roll off fixed at 80 hz. (I think. It's been a while since digging into M&K subs.)

M

Mightymouse

Audiophyte
Hey Ski2xblack, a huge thank you I am sending you way! Forgive me but I am somewhat of a newbie. I'm asking because I recently purchased a use mx70b which only has the the 2 positive and 2 negative outputs that connect to the amp. I noticed, from some online photos that some also have 2 negative and 2 positive outputs for the high pass filter. Do you know if some mx70b's had just the 4 outputs to the amp and others had 8 ( 4 to the amp and 4 for the high pass filter)? I'm just wondering if I have the right amp on my sub.

Thanks again

I hope I explained this properly

P

panardog

Audiophyte
Miller & Kriesel MX-70 Powered Subwoofer

algernon,

G
Hi Greg! Hey, we bought a MB70 from eBay and when tested, it does make the continuous fart noise, even if we have no input hooked to it, I will try to crack it open to check if there's any sign of burn components, do you know if this is would be a common fix? or if there is no way I could find same quality parts to restore it?
Any lead on this is much appreciated,
Thanks! Todd & German

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis