LP to digital conversion (please recommend a service)

I

iluvmusic

Audiophyte
Hi, I have an LP album I want to transfer to a digital format so i can store it on my computer. Can anyone recommend a service that will give decent quality for an affordable price? I live in Los Angeles.

i don't have a record player myself, but I know that to do this, it is best to have a good system as far as the record player and recording equipment. i'd like to do it myself, but I just don't have the equipment.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
I suggest if you have a good soundcard in your PC, get a turntable and use the Line In on your soundcard to capture the output. It'll take some editting to get the individual tracks seperated, but that's nothing major.

USB turntables do a good job too, especially if you don't have a good soundcard, and they usually come with good enough software for the job.

I would suggest against sending your LPs to anyone for the conversion. First, results are usually not guaranteed. Second, getting your own setup means you can do any and all LPs you have, get your hands on, or want.

I can suggest some specific hardware if you want.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
If the LP in question is one that you really like and want to preserve it digitally with the best sound quality possible, you will get far better results if you take a little time to learn basic audio editing and record it yourself.

Around 1996 I found a couple of out of print LPs (12" singles) that have never been re-released on CD and likely never will be. I sent them to be converted to CD and they didn't sound all that good. Fast forward a few years after I had been using Sound Forge for quite some time and I know exactly what is wrong. The recording levels were set too high and it is clipped all over the place. On one of them there is a loud 'thud' that sounds like a hand clap and the waveform at that location is a giant square wave (in other words clipped to death).

All you need is a turntable (with a built-in phono pre-amp) and a decent audio editor. ION makes turntables that come with Audacity and do the recording 'automatically' but the reality is you really need to edit the result. You should record the entire side of the LP as one file and then split it into tracks, fade-in, fade-out, apply noise reduction (sparingly), fix minor glitches, etc and save the individual tracks.

...or you can send the LP out to be 'converted' and cross your fingers hoping they do a good job.

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
OH GOD. I would NEVER get an ION turntable or something that was "USB" based.
They may be $100, but they are undescribably cheap. Platter flexes at the sight of a gnats fart, the stylus tip is hand crafted from the edge of a Coke can, and the DC motor is probably grafted in there from an old RC car.

In essence, playing records on an ION (or similarly cheap plasticy junk) record player, will turn your record into a grated block of cheese; in terms of sound quality and the plastic itself.

The truth is, is that you need a record player that won't eat your records, and will be built to a high enough quality to actually perform it's task with as few of speed irregularities, and pops/noise as possible.

I will suggest (for starting) a Technics SL-1200MK(2-5). Now, new, they are rather expensive. However, it's not uncommon to find them for sale used. I got my MK3 unit for $100 (but it was used as a DJ table at one point...).
No matter if it was DJ'ed really, so long as all the bearings are in check, the wiring is in one piece, and the platter doesn't wobble on the bearings, it should be good to go.

The SL-1200 series have an uncommon combination of holding speed extremely well, being built for demanding conditions as well as superb accuracy, and rather cheap for the amount of engineering poured into them during the 70's.

However, if you aren't keen on buying a deck, or setting one up (as with a SL, you will need a pre-amp and something to get the LP to Digital), then look on the web for local companies.

It's LA; there should be SCADLOADS of stuff out there.
If you can't find a service like that directly, mixing studios/recording studios/DJ studios that operate around can likely tell you who would be in the know.

Google is also a friend :D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi, I have an LP album I want to transfer to a digital format so i can store it on my computer. Can anyone recommend a service that will give decent quality for an affordable price? I live in Los Angeles.

i don't have a record player myself, but I know that to do this, it is best to have a good system as far as the record player and recording equipment. i'd like to do it myself, but I just don't have the equipment.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
PM me. I can do this for you. I have excellent turntables.

I have a good workstation with RME DAC using Steinberg WaveLab 6 mastering and editing software.

The CD burner, is a professional Plextor drive.

I can send you a CD and or data WAV files of your LP. I will be glad to help you. You just need to pay shipping both ways.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis