Low volume on one channel - on both speaker output and headphones

AnDi86

AnDi86

Audiophyte
Hi all, just purchased a Marantz PM6005 - got it all set up and on the right channel of the outputs the volume is so low you can't hear it, when you turn the volume right up you can hear a murmur of noise coming from it. Left hand channel works just fine. I have put both speakers into the left outputs on A and B and the speakers work fine so it's not a speaker/cable issue. It's not the balance knob - i have also tried the source direct same issue.

This is the same on both speaker outputs on the right channel from the amp and even on a pair of headphones I have plugged into. I have tried different source inputs and the optical input same issue - Have I done something wrong or is the unit just faulty on arrival?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Check the balance control. If it’s set straight up, then the unit is defective.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
From your description, I'd say y0ur amp is crispy fried right out of the box, like a takeout order from Popeye's.

Send it back. Immediately.

AnDi86

AnDi86

Audiophyte
Yeah the balance control has been checked... I was thinking that the unit is goosed - but I wanted all your expertise first!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Yep, something is cooked or mal-adjusted from the factory. Maybe they just plum forgot to put the other half of the amp in the chassis. :D

AnDi86

AnDi86

Audiophyte
So got a replacement unit - tested before plugging speakers into the unit with headphones - sounded good.

Connected speakers up - turned power on - now very low volume on the speakers. Turned off system plugged speakers out.

Tested with headphones again - now very low volume on the headphone.

Is it something i'm doing? Have i just shorted two amplifiers in the space of a few days?

A

AnDi86

AnDi86

Audiophyte
Q Acoustics Concept 20

I mean i followed the guide from the instruction manual.

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Could be faulty wiring, have you any other type of amplification laying around that you can test?

AnDi86

AnDi86

Audiophyte
So got a set of cables that have the banana plug already attached... Tested and working okay on the new one! Yay! Thank you all for your help!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis