Low quality rips...

res6jya6

res6jya6

Senior Audioholic
I love the sound of audio files that have been ripped at 256-320kbps...

But of course, my MP3 collection is plagued with 128kbps files that I got from various sources.

Whenever I listen to these files, I can immediately tell the difference in quality... mostly from the extra (static, screech, I don't know what to call it) that comes from the higher notes and deeper bass. Are there any equalizer settings that can be adjusted so I won't have these problems while listening to my music?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Some receivers have "music enhancer" functions that are intended to help with that sort of thing. iTunes has a "Sound Enhancer" function that may do something similar.

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
You might be able to diddle around and find an equalizer setting that would mask the problems so they're less apparent to your ears, but no equalizer can put back info that is missing or correct info that was changed by the lossy process. My ability to listen to music at 128 K is inversely dependent on the quality of the system....cheap earbuds = 128 K is OK since everything sounds bad.

Those "fixit" programs mostly work by detecting signal spikes that appear strange and chopping them off but it's kinda like having a bad TV picture and fixing it by replacing the bad pixels by making them all grey.

res6jya6

res6jya6

Senior Audioholic
Those "fixit" programs mostly work by detecting signal spikes that appear strange and chopping them off but it's kinda like having a bad TV picture and fixing it by replacing the bad pixels by making them all grey.
Aw man... I hate grey pixels -_-' --- however, that is a great way of explaining it!

Since last time, I've downloaded the songs that I listen to most (it's what I love about the iPod... I can make an updating playlist of my most played songs) in 256/320kbps qualities.

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
Garbage in, garbage out. Sizzerflake pretty much summed it up. As they say, 'you can't dress up a turd.' Well, you can spray some perfume on it, but its still a turd.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis