apatel25314

apatel25314

Audioholic
im into the whole hi-fi thing myself , and will be planning on purchasing on the epic 80 system, but i was really wondering if you guys knew of any speakers that were just plain LOUD for a reasonable price

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I'nn not offer any specific recommendations but I will tell you what to look for as far as loudness goes.

Look at their sensitivity ratings. The higher the number, the louder it will play.

Playing at the same volume level, a speaker with a sensitivity rating of 93 decibels will require one half the power of one rated at 90 decibels.

Please be aware that these are no indication of how "good" they will sound. A car may get great gas mileage, but may inferior in other respects.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
If you dont mind buying used & you have the floor space for loud ive never seen or heard any speaker that can pump it out like a pair of klipsch cornwalls,they are 101 db efficient @ 8 ohms & are rated for 100wpc continuous with peak power at 1,000 watts,these speakers can easily take 500 watts for hours on end without no damage,i used to own several pairs of them & could put the full 1,000 watts into them no sweat,i had 4 cornwalls with 1,000 watts going to each speaker,it was beyond loud.:D

A simple 100 wpc reciever can blast cornwalls to astounding levels.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KLIPSCH-CORNWALL-LOUDSPEAKER-SYSTEM-rare-excel-cond_W0QQitemZ200075324472QQihZ010QQcategoryZ61378QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
If you're worried, the Axioms should play plenty loud.

But otherwise, exactly what the other two said. "Party" speakers like CVs and some other oldies will play loud, although generally they don't sound very good.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
emorphien said:
If you're worried, the Axioms should play plenty loud.

But otherwise, exactly what the other two said. "Party" speakers like CVs and some other oldies will play loud, although generally they don't sound very good.
CV's sound good. They are just not audiophile speakers. Not accurate. The speakers, that is.:D

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
emorphien said:
"Party" speakers like CVs and some other oldies will play loud, although generally they don't sound very good.
I always thought that cerwin vegas sounded great,they were never audiophile speakers to start with,the big red woofer surrounds killed their chances from the start but they sound good.

As for the vintage klipsch's i really like the way they sound & there are many audiophile systems set up around klipsch cornwalls which is just a different version of the klipsch corner horn,i thought cornwalls were a better all around speaker over the k horns.Cornwalls are not a party speaker for that i'd of reccomended some mtx or jensen home speakers:D

apatel25314

apatel25314

Audioholic
thanks i probably do need to rephrase this and it is that i am looking for party speakers

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
zumbo said:
CV's sound good. They are just not audiophile speakers. Not accurate. The speakers, that is.:D
Eh, they're better than most loud party speakers, but I don't personally think they sound great or good. They're not audiophile, this is true. But they play loud as hell without losing their composure.

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
I am not a fan of CV at all. Yes they can get loud, but how loud do you want to play crap? Wouldnt you like to be able to hear the music? I've had 2 college roommates, who lived by CV, and personally, I'd rather buy Sony speakers.
/shiver.

If you need something loud and clear. Something that won't embarass you at parties, buy a few JBL Pro speakers.

DJ's, Studio's, Movie theaters, clubs, etc. all use them for a reason.

I have a JBL Pro speaker. ~1300watts RMS, 135db, clear as a bell.

If you don't mind used, You can find them on ebay for $300-$400 ea. New, expect to pay ~$1000+

Example

N

Nuglets

Full Audioholic
I have a pair of E-315's by Cerwin Vega and they sound pretty damn good and they get loud as hell. I would definitely disagree that they sound worse than a Sony speaker. Not extremely accurate, but powerful and clear sounding in my opinion.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
As long as we're talking ebay,

for party speakers, I've always been fond of the DCM KX series. Kinda of like an old, classic American muscle car: not very refined but very good at the job of providing raw, brute force, pin you to your seat thrills that brings a grin to your face, as all guilty pleasures do.

robot

robot

Junior Audioholic
I think you really need to figure out what kind of sound you want before ordering a huge system like that without hearing it first. I wonder if they would allow you to just order the m80 towers by themselves first to see what they sound like, but still get the package price?

I was a bit horrified when I first heard my m80s. I get the impression that they would sound good in a dull anechoic chamber (any coincidence that they were designed with the help of one of the best in north america?) or under a huge pile of pillows. I had to put socks over the tweeters to make them bearable.

Anyways, I'm really sensitive to the high frequencies apparently. I was at a club last friday and standing equidistant between two of the 4 loudspeakers was enough to give me a disorienting sensation and cause physical pain in my ears. If I was drunk it might not have bothered me as much.

So, the moral of the story is, some people don't like super sensitive screechy speakers.

A

ARRAY

Audioholic Intern
Get a compression driver loaded horn coupled to a 12" bass driver, then tune the cabinet to resonance. You may end up blowing your head off though.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis