Loudspeakers , yes they are

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
:eek: Holy molly, that's LOUD!

Out of curiosity, I just went out and turned my TV on to my normal listening level and cracked out the SPL meter. The lowest my meter will go is 50dB...and it wasn't even registering that. You were listening at over 100 times as loud as I do! Kudos? :D

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Oh sure. But can they...

ahh forget it. I got nothing :D

That really is loud. As in, "seriously, don't listen to them at that volume for more than about 5 minutes" loud. Factually, you could permanently harm your hearing, so yeah...not worth THAT! lol

Stutz320

Stutz320

Junior Audioholic
I wondered what my norm listening level is and wondered how loud this system
would get and still sound good.

Over 110 it still sounded good but it's 2 :eek: loud for more than a song or two.

Had ear plugs in when it went over 100.

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
That is freakin loud, 10db higher than anything I've listened to with my system at my seating position. Normally if I'm listening to louder music it's in the 90-95 db range @ 7 ft.

Steve

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
I wondered what my norm listening level is and wondered how loud this system
would get and still sound good.

Over 110 it still sounded good but it's 2 :eek: loud for more than a song or two.

Had ear plugs in when it went over 100.
You can stand it that loud for even a song or two? Wow! I hope you don't treasure your hearing because it's going to go bad very soon. :eek::p

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hey, that's the same exact SPL meter I have!:D

Galaxy CM130.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I guess Stutz will be totally deaf in a few months after listening at those levels. Actually feel sorry for the neighbors

Stutz320

Stutz320

Junior Audioholic
nuance -
You can stand it that loud for even a song or two?

Read the last line. I had plugs in.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
What was the material you had on? What amp were you using and how high up was the gain dial? Nice speakers by the way, I would like to know how the WF series compares to the Reference series and the Icon series. If you really want a beating, try that experiment with some Klipschorns.

It was good to see you had plugs in, too many people have too cavalier an attitude with respect to their ears. Many of the fellows I used work with didn't care to use ear plugs for whatever reason when they were supposed to, and when the hearing tests came back it really showed. When we compared results, I had the best hearing from all the charts I saw, with very good sensitivity to over 18 khz, and I always used ear plugs on the factory floor. Some of these other guys' hearing pretty much stopped at 10 khz, they were too reckless with their ears. I think that when the ear-bud generation has to take care of the old-timers, they may have worse hearing than the seniors in their care.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
No kidding there, ShadyJ. I always try to protect my hearing as much as I can. 'Cause once it's gone, it's gone! :( No getting it back and it's easier than people think to lose it. The problem is with the sounds that aren't loud enough to cause pain or to make you lose your hearing quickly. The problem are the sounds that cause hearing loss after long, continuous periods of exposure. Like a lot of things, we sort of get used to that sort of thing and stop noticing how loud it is. Like you're saying - in a factory setting or something. Where it's just constant.

Ugh...makes me shudder...

:p

Stutz320

Stutz320

Junior Audioholic
I spend a lot of time riding a motorcycle (with stock exhaust).
One thing that is scary is how loud the wind noise is in some
helmets. A few years ago I saw a study and it said some
helmets were louder than not wearing a helmet. I know the
current desings fit much better and are quieter. On long
rides I put plugs in my ears before the helmet went on.

G

gotchaforce

Junior Audioholic
13 feet away from my AV123 LS6 ive probably hit peaks above 110db (had the analog spl meter out, i know i hit 110db, but not sure if i was hitting that as the peak or as sort of an average)... that was ONCE and i dont think ive ever done that again.

Done off of xpa-3, but its important to remember that line array only drop 3db when you double the distance

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Keep listening to speakers at that volume and pretty soon, you'll fall in love with Cerwin Vegas as being the best sound speaker out there. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis