Loudspeakers around $400 w/ future add ons

W

wtrimble

Junior Audioholic
Hi,

I want to put together a stereo system that I'd like to turn into a 5.1 system in the future.

Right now I picked up a Denon AVR-687 ($20, couldn't pass it up) and want to get a set of loudspeakers for it for around $400. Recommendations?

I'll be moving soon so I won't know the dimensions of my living room I'll be living in, but you could assume a normal size living room in an apartment (probably would open up to a small kitchen area).

I'd like to add on a center speaker (which I believe needs to be the same as the L&R speakers) and background speakers for a surround sound setup later on. Right now I have a Polk PSW10 I will be using as a sub (no criticism please, it'll do for now)

I'll be using it 80% for music and the rest tv/movies.

I've been recommended already Ascend 170se's but would like to hear a few more recommendations. Thanks in advance.

W

wtrimble

Junior Audioholic
No one has suggestions? Do bookshelf speakers perform just as well as floorstanding speakers?

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
Bookshelf speakers are different. Bookshelf speakers are often paired with subwoofers to help out on the low end. Floorstanding speakers typically have a better low end but certainly cost more than do bookshelf speakers. If you look at a manufacturer's brand x book shelf and then you look at the tower in the same family, the tower typically costs a fair amount more.

For $400, it will be hard to beat the PSB g-design gb-1 speakers at $349 from audio advisor, PSB - G-Design GB1 - Bookshelf Speakers-Audio Advisor.

PSB makes terrific speakers. The g-design gb-1 are older speakers which is they are so heavily discounted. This is a very good price on very good speakers. I've been trying to figure out a reason why I need another pair of bookshelf speakers so I can buy a pair, :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis