Loudspeaker smack-down

S

Skizzarz

Enthusiast
Hey audiophiles,

I'm looking at pairs of used speakers in my area, I'm doing research to compare the items and was wondering if there may be any experts here that could provide any valuable information and opinions.

I would hope this post isn't out of line in any way.

1. Technics SB-A28 - Technics Speakers 3-Way (SB-A28) Kanata, Ottawa

2. Digital Fidelity M800 - Digital Fidelity 3-Way Speakers (M800) Kanata, Ottawa

3. Kenwood JL-737 - Kenwood 3-Way Tower Speakers JL-737 Kanata, Ottawa

4. Technics SBA-11 - Technics 3-Way Speaker Towers (SBA-11) Kanata, Ottawa

Which would you snag?

I'm not entirely sure where to start for trying to find good reviews and comparisons, could you kind people direct me in any way?

Time for research.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Which would you snag?

I'm not entirely sure where to start for trying to find good reviews and comparisons, could you kind people direct me in any way?
None of the above - save up and find some Infinity Primus,
or Pioneer speakers designed by Andrew Jones.

S

Skizzarz

Enthusiast
Any of the above will do for now.

it's the Technics SB-A28s vs. Kenwood JL-737

I find it interesting that the Technics are 240W with a 4" mid while the Kenwoods are 180W with a 5" mid.

Truth be told these speakers will be banging dubstep... I'm leaning towards the Kenwoods that don't look to be ported with a bigger midrange driver as I'm a fan of full mids.

I'm not sure if dub basslines would sound better on a ported or airtight box. I suppose I'll bring my USB key with me and have a listen tomorrow! :D

Any more opinions?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
None if the speakers you have been looking are high fidelity. They may get plenty loud and have lots of booby bass, so if that's what you desire those speakers will fit the bill. In my experience Technics speakers of this order are more balanced sounding than many other cheaply made noise boxes like the ones your looking at.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
it's the Technics SB-A28s vs. Kenwood JL-737
I find it interesting that the Technics are 240W with a 4" mid while the Kenwoods are 180W with a 5" mid.
Truth be told these speakers will be banging dubstep... I'm leaning towards the Kenwoods that don't look to be ported with a bigger midrange driver as I'm a fan of full mids.
I'm not sure if dub basslines would sound better on a ported or airtight box.
The Kenwood bass port should be on the back - up top on the left side. The Technics and Kenwood have weak mids.
However, they will make some muddy noise - have fun!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Go to Futureshop and listen to the Affinities as suggested by the 2nd poster. The Infinities are miles better than anything you've listed and they are very reasonably priced.

If you want to go teh Technics route...I used to own a pair of Technics SB-T200 speakers. These speakers weren't the greatest but they weren't bad and are better again at what you are looking at. The mids and highs were pretty good but the bass on them was little sloppy.

Panasonic SB-T200 Support and Service Information

S

Skizzarz

Enthusiast
about what percentage of this board is troll? :D

I'll audition a fewww to see what they got but the Kenwoods are looking right.

positive tip of the day -

Canadians: shop Long & Mcquade for the best deals on new stuff like headphones :) check out the sennheiser HD 215 better deal than my lower-end HD 428s... 20 dollar savings way more bass.

/millionth time I've typed something only to append it half or several hours later.

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
about what percentage of this board is troll? :D

I'll audition a fewww to see what they got but the Kenwoods are looking right.
Can't comment on the % of trolls, great thing about the internet is there is always other places to go. Sometimes its tough to figure whats trolling and whats actually trying to help or raising legimate questions. I do believe if you feel that a member(s) are trolling or not of any help you can block them or ignore them. But on to trying to be helpful.

I don't find any of those you listed appealing to me, speakers are very subjective and the only way you will know if you like them is try them out. Like you said take a USB of music your familar with and demo them if you can. In the end its your money and your ears that will be listening to them.

S

Skizzarz

Enthusiast
Thanks for the help bored, I appreciate it. Only thing is for the price of about 100 dollars I can get 2 12" woofers rated for over a 100 watts compared to small shelf speakers that I would need a .1 solution for. It's going to be a dance music and similar banging noises type deal compared to accurate reference reproduction. Easily said, I want some bass weight and I think my choice should suit me for a year to come. Your argument would to get higher fidelity shelf units and save up for a high fidelity low end effects unit, roight?

It's a thought.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Look for Cerwin-vegas and I seen some cheaper older Klipsch speaker as well
These would do what you looking for

Bookshelf speakers would not be good for parties

stop looking at watt rating - it's nearly useless

S

Skizzarz

Enthusiast
Based on that last statement it further strengthens my opinion of the Kenwoods... I think I'm going to pick them up tonight :D

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Hey audiophiles,

I'm looking at pairs of used speakers in my area, I'm doing research to compare the items and was wondering if there may be any experts here that could provide any valuable information and opinions.

I would hope this post isn't out of line in any way.

1. Technics SB-A28 - Technics Speakers 3-Way (SB-A28) Kanata, Ottawa

2. Digital Fidelity M800 - Digital Fidelity 3-Way Speakers (M800) Kanata, Ottawa

3. Kenwood JL-737 - Kenwood 3-Way Tower Speakers JL-737 Kanata, Ottawa

4. Technics SBA-11 - Technics 3-Way Speaker Towers (SBA-11) Kanata, Ottawa

Which would you snag?

Time for research.
I would move that whole batch from Smack-Down over to RAW.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Based on that last statement it further strengthens my opinion of the Kenwoods... I think I'm going to pick them up tonight :D
All of those speakers on the list are junk and not worth one red cent.

Those old three ways are very fragile by modern standards, especially the tweeters, which if you party with them will likely blow the first night out.
The reason being is that they were made before ferro fluid was invented.

For what you want Cerwin Vega or Klipsch is what you need. Those will produce the loudest spl per dollar with the least chance of burn out. Remember you can burn out just about any speaker if you have will do do. Resistance to burn out varies greatly from brand to brand.

S

Skizzarz

Enthusiast
Yeah the Technic SB-A28s are going too low but they have obnoxious highs, I did the Alan Parson sweep from 20Hz to 20kHz and the low lows were this odd weak pulse like instead of completely failing they made a weak attempt at response. They're loudspeakers but right now I've got them about 2-3 feet from my ears on my desk, lol. They'll be temporary... booby bass. The lows have shitty strong point around 100Hz it sounds and the crossover from low to mid is ****, the highs sound decent. That's that.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The Technics should be around, -16db near 35 hz

Technics SB-A28 front speakers - black :
Handsome, tall, black 3-way front speakers with ample power-handling and impact

Features :
-:®:- 12" woofer 4" midrange 2" tweeter with diffraction waveguide
-:®:- Black veneer
-:®:- 120W RMS power with 170W maximum -:®:- 89 dB / 1W efficiency estimate
-:®:- Frequency response : 35Hz - 35kHz +0dB / - 16dB
-:®:- Dimensions [ W x H x D ]: 915 x 381 x 280mm {15" x 36" x 10"}