Loudspeaker Ohmage Configuration

A

AJ Anderson

Enthusiast
Designing Speaker System (Advice Needed/Newbie)

If I have a 700 Watt Stereo Power Amplifier (350 Watts Per Channel). I wish to wire a total of 8 speakers (4 Woofers each at 8 Ohms going to an inductor crossover & 4 Midrange Speakers each at 8 Ohms going through a 400 Volt Film Capacitor crossover) all together within one single speaker cabinet. How should I wire/configure this without overloading my power amplifier?

1. Woofer: Out of the four woofers (each 8 ohms) – can I safely wire each “pair” of woofers in series going to the amplifier; which will give me 4 ohms?

and in addition to the above within one single speaker cabinet; can I also wire the following:

1. Midrange: Out of the four midranges (each 8 ohms) – can I safely wire each “pair” of midranges in series going to the amplifier; also, which will give me 4 ohms? NOTE: Please keep in mind that ALL of the midrange speakers are going to 400 Volt Film Capacitor …..does this effect impedance/ohmages?

Now with everything as outlined above give me a total combined ohmage of 4 Ohms or 2 Ohms?

My second option would be to connect all of the four 8 ohm Woofers in series together and all of the four 8 ohm Midranges together going together into one amplifier terminal which will give me a total speaker ohmage of 16 ohms?

So what is my best solution for this speaker configuration without overloading my amplifier?

Thanks everyone for your assistance.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
You wire two 8 speakers in series and then the two pairs in parallel, this will give you 8 ohm speaker sets.

I have to say your plan sounds like a redneck ghetto system of the worst variety.

A

AJ Anderson

Enthusiast
You wire two 8 speakers in series and then the two pairs in parallel, this will give you 8 ohm speaker sets.

I have to say your plan sounds like a redneck ghetto system of the worst variety.
Thanks. My configuration is to used for "special purposes". This is only part of the total configurations electronic layout; just half part of the pie (so-to-speak). I have not released the entire configuration on what I am trying to do (or accomplish) ....which is why my layout design may seem very unusual to some. But everyone has the right to their opinion. I have built simpler loudspeakers in the past (with less loudspeaker drivers) and have received "rave/positive" reviews with other's asking me to build them a similar loudspeaker system.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The original poster clearly said he was seeking advice as a newbie. His question about his proposed design suggested that he didn't understand some basics about wiring groups of similar drivers in series or parallel, or that he lacked confidence in his answers. There's nothing wrong with asking that. No one is born knowing these answers.

TLS Guy gave a somewhat impatient reply to this question, but he's come by that impatience honestly. We've seen enough threads where a new DIY speaker builder seems to like his own ideas better than any experienced advice he might hear. I wonder why he bothered to ask?

There seems to be plenty more wrong with his idea than how to wire them so the summed impedance of those 4 woofers and 4 mid range drivers is reasonable. I think that's why TLS Guy gave such an answer.

Perhaps the original poster might get more useful answers if he told us what he actually wants to do in his speaker build. He might not get the answers he wants to hear, but he might hear answers which could help him.

A

AJ Anderson

Enthusiast
The original poster clearly said he was seeking advice as a newbie. His question about his proposed design suggested that he didn't understand some basics about wiring groups of similar drivers in series or parallel, or that he lacked confidence in his answers. There's nothing wrong with asking that. No one is born knowing these answers.

TLS Guy gave a somewhat impatient reply to this question, but he's come by that impatience honestly. We've seen enough threads where a new DIY speaker builder seems to like his own ideas better than any experienced advice he might hear. I wonder why he bothered to ask?

There seems to be plenty more wrong with his idea than how to wire them so the summed impedance of those 4 woofers and 4 mid range drivers is reasonable. I think that's why TLS Guy gave such an answer.

Perhaps the original poster might get more useful answers if he told us what he actually wants to do in his speaker build. He might not get the answers he wants to hear, but he might hear answers which could help him.
Thanks guys .....please. I got my answer on several optional configurations including sample design drawings from another source. I am fine for now. In addition this other source also recommended that for future loudspeaker designs that I may wish to use a free software called "XSim Crossover" (Free-Form Loudspeaker Crossover Designer and Simulator).

XSim Crossover allows me to see simultaneous multiple graphs of your choice, including impedance's, voltages, power consumption, group delay, and frequency, impulse, step, and square wave responses. I can even watch the performance and/or stress on any part vary as you tune structure or component values in real-time. The circuit network is re-solved automatically with every change you make.

And so far I have experimented with the "XSim Crossover" and it works great for me. Thanks everyone here for your assistance. (END)

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis