Looks like my TV broke :(

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Just found out that - I hear power relay going on, power change green light
By no image at all - I don't mean black, I mean no image at all - nothing...

I hope it would some bad caps on some power circuit - have't opened it yet

Any prognosis or Ideas ?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Doesn't sound good. Maybe switch to various inputs to see if others are working?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Doesn't sound good. Maybe switch to various inputs to see if others are working?
It seems like none of buttons (but power) do any effect. The screen itself stays fully off

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Not a good sign. I am going to have to agree with you based on that, that it is time for a new one.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Not a good sign. I am going to have to agree with you based on that, that it is time for a new one.
Ughh... i paid for it $1600 for it few years ago and I'm going down without a fight.
I found few threads on badcaps forums with similar issues..

LG 42PC5D request for knowlege - Badcaps Forums
lg 42px5r no picture with sound - Badcaps Forums

going to it my best shot. I was able to fix this monitor by replacing few bad caps
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/classifieds-sell-your-gear/75573-f-s-nec-multisync-lcd2080ux-20-white-s-ips-monitor-1600x1200.html

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I was about to say, as a poor joke - "What do you have? A LG???" - Then I went and looked at your stuff, and that sure enough is what it looks like it is.

That would make you about the 7th or 8th person who I know who has owned a LG which has failed.

My expectation is that you do have bad power caps inside which are not allowing the display to power on. It is relatively technical, but possible to pull the main board and check the caps. A lot cheaper than buying a new TV if it is worth your time.

I really think that the image of LGs look good, but I can't stomach how poorly they treat their customers by providing such unreliable product.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Just found out that - I hear power relay going on, power change green light
By no image at all - I don't mean black, I mean no image at all - nothing...

I hope it would some bad caps on some power circuit - have't opened it yet

Any prognosis or Ideas ?
I'm sorry to hear that. Check out this thread about the broken Vizio that poster "afterlife" managed to bring back from the dead after replacing a defective LG board. He replaced the board in post 33/34 of that thread and is working fine.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/general-av-discussions/77756-vizio-tv-not-turning-blinks-me.html

However, If you have spare cash, nows the time to upgrade to something bigger/better. :) Good luck .

itschris

itschris

The only good news is there are such great deals on TV's right now. I was just in in Walmart picking up a couple external hard drives and sitting next to me was a 60" Vierra for $899. That's pretty hard to beat.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Update: I could a good news : Today I finally had a chance to mess with TV.
Took the back cover off and found one popped cap in a power board. Replacement should come soon. Will keep you posted

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I expect you will find success. We had a client who had their LG go down. They brought us in the board and new power caps and we did the soldering job for them and they reinstalled the board.

Their report back was that it worked great after the replacement was done.

The guy had done his homework and had gotten replacement power caps which were actually built to withstand the power flow which was going through them based upon the experiences of others online.

As it is similar to a fuse blowing, but a lot more difficult to replace, there is rarely any other electronics which are affected and you should be in good shape before long.

Of course, buying a 'backup' TV is something which still really should be considered.

Might I suggest Panasonic? :D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a good news and a bad news

Good news: I got new caps and replaced them today :)
Bad news: It didn't fix the problem :(

Good news - I found someone who will fix the tv :)
Bad news: His fee - $250-300 including parts is reasonable, but I question if it makes sense for me to invest that kind of money into old TV - $400 I could a new one (32 to 40" from lesser brands) :(

Best news: I'm shopping for new TV !!! :D:cool:

With old TV - I do ether (in this order)
A) Sell for scraps to TV guy (if he's interested)
B) Will keep this around as a project (and then C)
c) just throw it out

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Looking for suggestion for TV up to $2k (including everything) - Preferably plasma, but I don't need/want anything but a very good quality 1080p picture

No 3d (i know it's comes with a package)
No Smart boolshit etc...

Sizes: from 50" and up

edit: how about Samsung PN64D550C1F or Panasonic TC-P65ST30 ??

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Gotta respect the economy:
budget choices:
TC-P60S30 - $1,239.00
TC-P55ST30 -$1100
TC-P50S30 - $900

Please help me narrow it down, based on PQ vs price

VT series imo too expensive

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
My advice to you.. no 3D like you say and

"BUY AS BIG AS YOU CAN"

Once my Vizio goes, I'm looking around a 70" to 80" inch display

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
btw: TC-P55ST30 -$1100 - was the final choice back in 2012.

Few weeks ago it pretty suddenly stopped working. Indications were 7 power led blinks, just before it lots of noise in top part of screen. Found few youtube videos like this one:
With simple and cheap multimeter - I've located issue to top buffer board. Replacing IC chip is beyond my tools and skills - I would need full surface mounted component re-work station. Think $5-6k such one.
So I used service in TX: http://www.coppelltvrepair.com/home
$10 to ship the board. $80 for the part, service and return shipping. = $90 total.
Besides diagnosis, second hardest part was fitting back the display ribbon cables - it's very tricky to plug them right.
My Suggestion - after reconnecting back all the guts, DO NO close back panel, just use the stand to stand it on floor and TEST IT with display anti-retention bar menu to ensure ALL lines are good. I had to fiddle with em like 10-20 times before I got all of em just right.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis