Looking to upgrade my over 20 year old Stereo System. Looking for suggestions.

J

jforrest1980

Audiophyte
I have a rather large CD and Vinyl record collection and really need to upgrade my current system. I am just unhappy with about every piece in my stereo system at this time. I am looking for suggestions on a good setup that can be easily upgraded in the future to improve it. I am not looking to spend thousands of dollars on high end audio equipment, but I do want something nice that is reasonably priced and of good quality. Here is my current setup.

Technics SA-GX303 Receiver
Technics SL-B500 Turntable - Stacker.
Pioneer PD M403 CD player with 6 disc magazine.
Speakers (so bad, my brothers poked holes in them and I have been using them for over 13 years this way)

I am a bit confused about how to go about upgrading my system. I know some of the new audio equipment has different cables than I am use to, and some turntables require a separate pre-amp. So my main concern is starting the upgrade process and not being able to use my equipment. First thing first though, I seriously need new speakers. So suggestions there would be great.

Please note that I am willing to spend around $300.00 or less per piece I need. This means both speakers, the cd player, turntable, and receiver. So I am thinking a new setup in the $1200.00 range and maybe a bit more for cables and possible pre-amp.

I would also like to mention that I am not 100% sure that I need to upgrade some of these components. So if you can maybe tell me if you were in my situation if you would upgrade a specific part or not. Here are the reasons I am thinking of upgrading.

the technics receiver has a broken volume knob. It's just hanging there, but is usable. It's just annoying. Secondly, I am unsure if I went out and bought a new receiver in the $300.00 range if I could get a better quality one. Furthermore, I am unsure if I do go buy new speakers if this receiver would let me enjoy the new speakers to their full potential.

As for my Pioneer CD player, I mentioned I love it and I do. I have had it since the 6th grade when my parents bought it for me for Christmas. I love the magazine feature. But this thing has thousands and thousands of hours on it. I noticed recently that even discs that appear to be in excellent condition have issues playing. If I do upgrade the CD player I do not need the ability to switch discs. If I can get a better quality CD player that only lets you pay one disc at a time I would be perfectly happy.

The technics turntable model SL-B500 has served me well. I also like this turntable, and the stackers seem desireable, but I don't think I like the stack function. I don't feel it's safe to have my LP's drop from so high since they don't appear to be made to be stacked like the smaller records (45's I think). I see no way of adjusting the turntable so I have the option not to set records on the stacker. Also, I don't think it is made for 180g vinyl, as those tend to get stuck because the pins don't retract enough to allow the record to drop. So my question is for around $300.00 can I get a better turntable? I have been reading reviews of the PRO-JECT Carbon turntable, and have been considering picking that up.

I know that's a lot of stuff to ask. But feel free to just answer 1 or 2 questions, or just suggest components for a whole new setup.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
I would start with upgrading speakers. You don't say if you have any aesthetic or size concerns on speakers (meaning do you want towers or bookshelves, and how big is your listening area), so I'm not going to recommend any specific models, but you can get a good set of bookshelves for around $500. As for the CD player, a basic DVD player will play Cd's through a standard two-channel stereo system and you can easily pick one of those up for $100. That leaves you $600 for other options. Personally, I would get a newer receiver/amp and a subwoofer. From what you describe, you aren't looking to use this for video, so any of the entry level Denon/Yamaha receivers should fine - you don't need a lot of features other than HDMI inputs, so I would look to pick one up used on the cheap and put the bulk of the rest of the cash towards a subwoofer.

J

jforrest1980

Audiophyte
thanks for the input. I've been checking out the receivers the last few days. I'm still uncertain what a good speaker brand is though. Is there a sore that sells good speakers so I do not have to order online. Or is there a good place to order online where I can maybe get a better deal after shipping?

J

jforrest1980

Audiophyte
Awesome thanks for the help guys. I really need those 2 most. It just worries me about my stacker turntable. I'm scared I'm going to ruin my records by one, having them drop, and 2, I hear new turntables have better arms that wear down records less. I also forgot to mention that I have a Alienware M17x laptop. I was thinking maybe I could incorporate that into my setup for my cd player, digital music, and listening to my music concert dvd's like Alice n' Chains Unpugged. Would the receiver mentioned above allow me to do that? I do have HDMI in and out on my laptop, and normally have it hooked into my television.

I was also looking at this one one best buy...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/500w-5-1-ch-a-v-home-theater-receiver/8046066.p?id=1218863731300&skuId=8046066&st=categoryid$pcmcat309300050002&cp=1&lp=1

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Yes the Yamaha would be OK

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Another option is an entire new system..... But thats going to leave you less for speakers which are going to make the biggest audible difference next to room treatments...

But you can get some entry level stuff for around your $300 each and get all new stuff, which is always fun...
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7622-pro-ject-debut-iii-matte-black-turntable.aspx
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-50323-marantz-cd6004-cd-player.aspx
Marantz SR4023 80w X 2ch Ci Friendly Stereo Receiver | Accessories4less only one of these left...
and then for speakers you won't have much of a selection for that price, I would go with towers since a sub and books is out of the budget pioneer 52 towers

and you might as well get the dac for 50% off too... http://www.musicdirect.com/p-45607-marantz-na7004-network-enabled-dac.aspx

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Another option is an entire new system..... But thats going to leave you less for speakers which are going to make the biggest audible difference next to room treatments...

But you can get some entry level stuff for around your $300 each and get all new stuff, which is always fun...
PRO-JECT DEBUT III MATTE BLACK TURNTABLE at Music Direct
MARANTZ CD6004 CD PLAYER at Music Direct
Marantz SR4023 80w X 2ch Ci Friendly Stereo Receiver | Accessories4less only one of these left...
and then for speakers you won't have much of a selection for that price, I would go with towers since a sub and books is out of the budget pioneer 52 towers

and you might as well get the dac for 50% off too... MARANTZ NA7004 NETWORK ENABLED DAC at Music Direct

jinjuku

jinjuku

What about used? Check Craigslist. Or better yet post what major City you are in proximity too and others here can look on clist and let you know if there are any finds.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis