Looking to build more

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
speakers. Not out of need, but out of sheer intrigue and curiosity. A different direction this time. I still have amps and receivers collecting dust. I would like to build a small system for my shop space, and my bedroom. I have been looking at (still infatuated with the waveguide tech) the Fusion-4 Quad4.
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits/fusion-4.html

The Overnight Sensations.
http://www.parts-express.com/overnight-sensations-mt-speaker-kit-pair--300-706

The Continuum.
http://meniscusaudio.com/continuum-full-pair-p-1324.html

I realize that this is not the major DIY forum but I would still rather see what you folks have to say about what to expect, in spite of the reviews elsewhere. Of course these would also prompt more subwoofer builds in the near future as well.

Again as before. . . .music only

So, what say you?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Might add the Classix II to the list...what I started to build a while back before I got a crossover from Dennis Muphy for my BR-1s (which kits he buys and reworks for his Affordable Accuracy Monitor) then realized I glued in the crossover a little too thoroughly and decided to switch out the tweeters and just go for an AA copy :) (uses the same woofer and I want to use these already built crossovers)

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Might add the Classix II to the list...what I started to build a while back before I got a crossover from Dennis Muphy for my BR-1s (which kits he buys and reworks for his Affordable Accuracy Monitor) then realized I glued in the crossover a little too thoroughly and decided to switch out the tweeters and just go for an AA copy :) (uses the same woofer and I want to use these already built crossovers)
Those look very interesting and I do like the front ported option. Will definitely look into those. I like the bit about them being forgiving with some of the more mainstream recordings.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hmm. How 'bout the Jeff Bagby designed Solstice, or the Murphy/Kittinger mtm detailed in that other thread here? Both a bit more traditional, wide dispersion types.

Seems the Solstice kit is for lazy AIY types like me, not sure if you can get the kit sans cab, and currently out of stock anyway.

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Hmm. How 'bout the Jeff Bagby designed Solstice, or the Murphy/Kittinger mtm detailed in that other thread here? Both a bit more traditional, wide dispersion types.

Seems the Solstice kit is for lazy AIY types like me, not sure if you can get the kit sans cab.
Those are very interesting. Although, I am going to go a little cheaper this time. I have to watch you. Your last suggestion turned my audio expectations on it's ear in a huge way. Sitting here right now getting totally worked over by the Tempests. They just keep growing on me the more I listen to them. As it is, I am coming in the door at night clicking amps on first thing, and sometimes, I even forget to eat dinner! lol

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I need to also visit DIY entertainment center/rack options. I am filling my space with speakers and gear and my TV is still setting on my post divorce, survival stand, from when I could really care less about such things.

R

roadrune

Audioholic
Here's my DIY rack for the theater, mede from scrap plywood.

Dont mind the cable spaghetti, i'm about to move everything today :p

IMG_1067.JPG
IMG_1068.JPG

As for speakers: i think you need a challenge more then speakers, so how about a set of curved Overnight Sensations?
The standard OS is a 1hour job...

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Classix 2 on the way.

Seemed like an obvious choice based on the idea of the drivers not measuring so well, yet being pleasing to the ear in spite of it. That's kind of the theme I have been basing my quests here at times with the manual EQ roots of my past and adjusting by ear.

It came down a tossup between the Classix, the Spitfire, and the Speedsters. The final tie breaker being that I want to find out how hooked I actually am on accuracy after listening to these Tempests a lot. I hope I am not spoiled by them.

Mainly the Classix are going to be for my bedroom, but it also might be nice at times to set them up next to the Tempests to where I can switch back and forth just for the fact that they are so different.

This is the kit. The pdf has Paul Carmody's take on the design.
http://meniscusaudio.com/classixii-full-pair-p-1333.html

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Classix 2 on the way.

Seemed like an obvious choice based on the idea of the drivers not measuring so well, yet being pleasing to the ear in spite of it. That's kind of the theme I have been basing my quests here at times with the manual EQ roots of my past and adjusting by ear.

It came down a tossup between the Classix, the Spitfire, and the Speedsters. The final tie breaker being that I want to find out how hooked I actually am on accuracy after listening to these Tempests a lot. I hope I am not spoiled by them.

Mainly the Classix are going to be for my bedroom, but it also might be nice at times to set them up next to the Tempests to where I can switch back and forth just for the fact that they are so different.

This is the kit. The pdf has Paul Carmody's take on the design.
http://meniscusaudio.com/classixii-full-pair-p-1333.html

Parts Express Tech Talk forums have much more discussion on these speakers than you see over here. Just an FYI for some pre-reading.

I think you may be the first AH regular to build these!

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I can't wait to see how you dress them up.
Torn between inset baffle, laminated hardwood face, or some combination thereof. With such small cabinets, can afford more exotic species. Also undecided about the rear or front port option.

By laminated, I mean to take a solid board, rip it into narrower portions and then glue it back together with the grain alternated to resist warping.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Parts Express Tech Talk forums have much more discussion on these speakers than you see over here. Just an FYI for some pre-reading.

I think you may be the first AH regular to build these!
I did actually come across that forum when doing some research on these. The overall consensus seemed favorable.

This may end up being my step into dedicated stereo amps as well. Although, I would not be adverse to picking up a used Denon AVR, seeing as I am finally kind of getting used to finding the settings for things in those. Would be nice to have bass management at any rate.

Yeah, this place needs more DIY. :)

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Here's my DIY rack for the theater, mede from scrap plywood.

Dont mind the cable spaghetti, i'm about to move everything today :p

View attachment 20049 View attachment 20050

As for speakers: i think you need a challenge more then speakers, so how about a set of curved Overnight Sensations?
The standard OS is a 1hour job...
Funny about the "cable spaghetti." When I first reordered cable after doing without television/internet for 3 years, I hooked everything back up, zip tied all the excess in neat, hidden bundles and all was well in the world.

One time with the kids setting up their PS2 totally trashed it and it's been trashed since.

R

roadrune

Audioholic
It tends to stay that way, yes :)

This is how it looks today:
IMG_1071.JPG

Via this:
IMG_1069.JPG

Just some DIY acoustic panels to cover the gaps, and its a wrap, totally caos with cables, but not visible at all :)

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I've always been fascinated by Jeff Bagby's Acoustimass-killing Quarks. A +/-2dB flat response, perfect phase matching, and a big sound that defies their diminutive imposition on real estate. More info.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I've always been fascinated by Jeff Bagby's Acoustimass-killing Quarks. A +/-2dB flat response, perfect phase matching, and a big sound that defies their diminutive imposition on real estate. More info.
I have some pretty nice desktop speakers. A lot of desktop speakers surprise me. Even Dell's 2.1 offerings of just a decade ago or so. Just seemed unnatural and made a lot of my outlook on speakers in general seem ridiculous. My pc is in the same room as my main sound system. I have a set of the Harman Kardon Soundsticks 2 and it actually fills this room with surprisingly good sounding music, which also makes the work I have done with the main system seem ridiculous.

So, if the Quarks sound even better yet, this would always be in the back of my mind when I start getting all woozy over speakers like the Tempests with their big honking 12" woofers.

With what I have been discovering over the last decade with how efficient and small speakers have become, the classix2's are actually large for my space, with how much bass management and subwoofers have changed the game. That and it occurs to me, that even people with large homes are likely way overbuilding/spending on audio gear.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
This was a good suggestion, considering the gist of my posts since I became a member here whether you realized that or not. Between these and the Tempests, I think it sets a good benchmark for the other end of my listening spectrum and all the possibilities of everything in between. This also gives me some insight, in the event I want to choose a design that instead uses high end drivers, and a learning experience with what the measurements mean with regard to my personal listening spaces.

Good call.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The Classix II looks like a good choice to me as well. That Dayton 6½" woofer is inexpensive and good.
Torn between inset baffle, laminated hardwood face, or some combination thereof. With such small cabinets, can afford more exotic species. Also undecided about the rear or front port option.

By laminated, I mean to take a solid board, rip it into narrower portions and then glue it back together with the grain alternated to resist warping.
MDF or plywood are used instead of hardwood for sound quality reasons as well as resistance to warping. They have less inherent resonance. But if you really wanted the laminated hardwood look, if you keep the rest of the box MDF or plywood, it wouldn't be terrible. You could also apply a roughly ¼" to ½" layer of hardwood over an MDF or plywood layer.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Was thinking case and primary baffle in MDF, and just the face being hardwood. I may go with ply face with hardwood quarter round edges which I like the look of too. Or, MDF case and primary baffle in MDF, with quarter rounds on the case edges, with the face inset a little that way instead.

Other things I have on hand are; kevelar and carbon fiber cloth, epoxy, automotive LPU clear, Corian, graphite, multiple species of hardwood, including some sinker cypress.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis