looking for wireless speaker setup help (tv/cable out to speakers)

P

puppychow

Audiophyte
hello there,

trying to help my grandmother who is trying to get her wireless speakers/transmitter working. the transmitter is supposed to plug into the tv/cable box and the speakers are in a different room. she likes to listen to the tv while she’s in the kitchen, a room separate from her office
http://www.rcaaudiovideo.com/search/?sku=wsp155

so, seems basic enough but i can’t figure it out. it has a line out that is supposed to plug into theaudio out/headphone jack of the audio source / tv or cable box. that's question 1, as the tv is receiving audio/video from the satellite box, as it should interface with the cable box and not the tv, correct?

cable box is a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3100 Digital Receiver http://www.cox.com/residential/support/internet/article.cox?articleId=8b7c94f0-6db5-11df-7b24-000000000000

the tv is connected via the video/audio outs cord - yellow/white/red and there’s no old-school audio out option at the back of the cable box. so, would i need a y splitter from the white/red leaving the cable box where then i can reverse wishbone into a single connection for the audio input plug for the transmitter?

i tried plugging just into the headphone jack of the tv but didn’t work - guessing the signal itself is coming from the cable box and i have to start there?

just looking for a basic description of how i can make this run happen. sorry for the run-on post! grandma thanks you!

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
If right now the sound of the TV show is coming from the speakers on the TV, the audio signal is getting there as it should. Most often a TV with a headphone jack will mute the TV speakers when something is plugged into the headphone jack and that signal should have no problem getting to the transmitter of that wireless speaker system using the stuff that came with it. But that's not what you really want because you (apparently) would want to maintain the sound out of the TV for when she's in that room watching.

What you should be able to do is take the Y-splitter that came with the speakers and plug the twin RCA plugs into the back of the cable box. Now take the 3.5mm audio plug on the end of the long wire coming out of the speaker transmitter and plug that into the single end of the Y-splitter.

That's all the connections you need to make. Now be sure the DC power supply for the transmitter is actually plugged into the wall outlet, and that you either have batteries or (preferred) the two AC/DC power adapters are plugged into the back of each speaker. Now get some program playing on the TV and if there's sound on the TV press the AutoScan button on the transmitter. It should connect unless there's a strong signal from a wireless land line phone or baby monitor also in the house.

P

puppychow

Audiophyte
thanks for replying! but the audio/video outputs from the cablebox are taken up by the cords going straight to the tv. theres no hdmi, cant do coaxial etc...so a splitting solution between the run from the cable box to the tv would be required im guessing? not sure what that would look like..

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I don't understand why the audio is going to a TV from the cable box via RCA. The 300Ω co-ax (antennae) cable should carry audio and video, assuming that's a true television with a tuner and not a monitor without one. Using the single co-ax RG-59 or RG-6 cable frees up the cable box's audio output for what you need.

If the TV doesn't have the 300Ω connection there's many 300Ω-to-75Ω adapters out there for a couple of bucks, and most cable companies will provide one for free if you ask.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I don't understand why the audio is going to a TV from the cable box via RCA. The 300Ω co-ax (antennae) cable should carry audio and video, assuming that's a true television with a tuner and not a monitor without one. Using the single co-ax RG-59 or RG-6 cable frees up the cable box's audio output for what you need.

If the TV doesn't have the 300Ω connection there's many 300Ω-to-75Ω adapters out there for a couple of bucks, and most cable companies will provide one for free if you ask.
Coax is 75 Ohm, not 300. That was twin lead. Also, using composite video is a better way to send AV to the TV from the cable box- RF is the worst, composite is one step better, S-video is one up from that, Component is better and HDMI is at the top of the consumer video heap.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
hello there,

trying to help my grandmother who is trying to get her wireless speakers/transmitter working. the transmitter is supposed to plug into the tv/cable box and the speakers are in a different room. she likes to listen to the tv while she’s in the kitchen, a room separate from her office
http://www.rcaaudiovideo.com/search/?sku=wsp155

so, seems basic enough but i can’t figure it out. it has a line out that is supposed to plug into theaudio out/headphone jack of the audio source / tv or cable box. that's question 1, as the tv is receiving audio/video from the satellite box, as it should interface with the cable box and not the tv, correct?

cable box is a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3100 Digital Receiver http://www.cox.com/residential/support/internet/article.cox?articleId=8b7c94f0-6db5-11df-7b24-000000000000

the tv is connected via the video/audio outs cord - yellow/white/red and there’s no old-school audio out option at the back of the cable box. so, would i need a y splitter from the white/red leaving the cable box where then i can reverse wishbone into a single connection for the audio input plug for the transmitter?

i tried plugging just into the headphone jack of the tv but didn’t work - guessing the signal itself is coming from the cable box and i have to start there?

just looking for a basic description of how i can make this run happen. sorry for the run-on post! grandma thanks you!

What make and model of TV does she have?

You can use a Y-cord to send the audio to the TV and the speaker transmitter without losing anything.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis