Looking for suggestions for $700 integrated amplifier for SVS Ultra bookshelf

A

Andrew Huynh

Audiophyte
The reason I'm here is I've been looking up a lot of terms regarding hifi audio but just couldn't grasp.
I already had an SVS SB-1000 subwoofer from my old setup. My budget is $1700( $1000 of which is spent on a pair of SVS Ultra bookshelf). I'm looking for suggestions for a $700 integrated amplifier to pair with said subwoofer and speakers.

Below are some helpful info:
My bedroom is: 12x9ft
I ONLY stream music from my iMac and my phone Nexus 6p using Spotify premium, Youtube, and downloaded mp3, occasionally FLAC's.
I mostly listen at pretty average volume, sometimes loud when no one's home.(FYI:I never listened at max volume using my old Audioengine A5+ from my old setup). I'm not looking to future-proof this setup because I will only be using in my bedroom.

At this point I have some options in mind: NAD C326BEE and Yamaha A-S501 but still don't know if these are suitable for my setup.

My other questions are:
1. Are there some other good alternatives to the SVS Ultra bookshelf given my budget?
2. I have heard the terms preamp, amp, and DAC being thrown around quite often, and I don't know if I should buy these or an intergrated amplifier as I haven't fully understood the role of each equipment.
3. Should I save up some more for $1000-1200 integrated amplifier with higher wattage?
4.Is $700 amplifier an overkill since I only stream music from my iMac and phone? Would a $300-400 amp suffice my needs?
5. I'm trying to get the most out of this $1700, so any suggestions regarding any aspect of my entire setup will be much appreciated.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The reason I'm here is I've been looking up a lot of terms regarding hifi audio but just couldn't grasp.
I already had an SVS SB-1000 subwoofer from my old setup. My budget is $1700( $1000 of which is spent on a pair of SVS Ultra bookshelf). I'm looking for suggestions for a $700 integrated amplifier to pair with said subwoofer and speakers.

Below are some helpful info:
My bedroom is: 12x9ft
I ONLY stream music from my iMac and my phone Nexus 6p using Spotify premium, Youtube, and downloaded mp3, occasionally FLAC's.
I mostly listen at pretty average volume, sometimes loud when no one's home.(FYI:I never listened at max volume using my old Audioengine A5+ from my old setup). I'm not looking to future-proof this setup because I will only be using in my bedroom.

At this point I have some options in mind: NAD C326BEE and Yamaha A-S501 but still don't know if these are suitable for my setup.

My other questions are:
1. Are there some other good alternatives to the SVS Ultra bookshelf given my budget?
2. I have heard the terms preamp, amp, and DAC being thrown around quite often, and I don't know if I should buy these or an intergrated amplifier as I haven't fully understood the role of each equipment.
3. Should I save up some more for $1000-1200 integrated amplifier with higher wattage?
4.Is $700 amplifier an overkill since I only stream music from my iMac and phone? Would a $300-400 amp suffice my needs?
5. I'm trying to get the most out of this $1700, so any suggestions regarding any aspect of my entire setup will be much appreciated.
1. I don't know much about the SVS Ultra, but I can recommend the KEF LS50, probably costs more but they sound great, when paired with a sub. In a small room like your 12X9ft, you may even find them fine even without a sub.

2. Below are links to web pages that should cover every terms and definitions. If after reading them you still have specific questions, come back and we'll try to help.

http://www.audioholics.com/how-to-shop/audio-terms-and-definitions
http://www.testing1212.co.uk/p

In some cases you can get away with just a power amp but in most cases you do need a pre-amp for the ease of connecting multiple inputs/sources and volume control.

3-5. In a small room, even the NAD C326BEE will be fine for the SVS Ultra bookshelf, but weird as it may sound, the best option could be something like a refurbished Denon AVR-X4200W that has the AKM DAC build in, that is probably best in it's price range. http://www.akm.com/akm/en/aboutus/news/20150909AK4458DENON_001/

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx4200w/denon-avr-x4200w-7.2-ch-x-125-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

or a brand new Denon AVR-X3300W ($599 at the moment)

https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-X3300W-Channel-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B01HL8KYAY/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1500894130&sr=1-2&keywords=avr-x4200w

Otherwise if you want better sound quality you may need to add an external DAC (Digital to analog converter) or an integrated amp that has one build in such as the Yamaha A-S501 but those build in DAC in low cost integrated amps are typically feature limited, such as limited to optical/coax inputs only.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I really like my SVS Ultras. They're great sounding speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Another vote for an avr, the lower priced integrated amps as in your budget don't usually have bass management (to help incorporate your sub), and some don't do much for digital or internet content. Economies of scale are on the avr's side as was mentioned...

As for speakers the SVS Ultras, the Philharmonitor Minis mentioned, or even Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1's would all be worth consideration (but could cost you some shipping to try at home for the latter two, whereas SVS' in home trial comes with prepaid shipping).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree that an AVR will give you better bang for your buck, merely because of economies of scale. Dollar per watt, AVRs are cheaper than separates.

Re: DACs, I'm just going to leave this here: http://www.audioholics.com/frequent-questions/dac-do-you-need-an-external-digital-to-analog-converter

Re: SVS Ultra bookshelfs, yeah, they're pretty good. Mini Philharmonitors + a modest subwoofer (sub measurements) would be even better. :)
If he goes with an AVR or integrated amp with build in DAC then he doesn't need an external DAC. Otherwise, that is, if he goes with an integrated amp like the C326BEE he is considering, he may need an external DAC assuming he listens to lossless flac in his Nexus 6P. I don't know how good the DAC in the iMAC is but I do know the one in the N6P isn't that great. If I play music from my N6P, or the iphone 6, that I typically don't, I would hook it up to a USB DAC but of course that's just me.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
. . . have an SVS SB-1000 subwoofer. . . budget is $1700 . . . bedroom is: 12x9ft . . . stream music from iMac and phone . . . listen at average volume . . . not looking to future-proof . . . are NAD C326BEE or Yamaha A-S501 suitable?
Absolutely, both have a subwoofer output, enough power for your room.
- What you gain with an "integrated amp" vs. a AVR is simplicity, in both set-up and daily use. That is why I choose the integrated route for my bedroom setup, no regrets.
- The others are right on the cost ratio, but AVRs contain a lot of stuff/features you just do not need in your application.

My other questions are:
The previous suggestions are solid; a 2nd vote for considering Sierra 1s.
2. I have heard the terms preamp, amp, and DAC being thrown around quite often, and I don't know if I should buy these or an integrated amplifier as I haven't fully understood the role of each equipment.
PREAMP = process the input audio signal to prepare it for the power amp.
AMP = aka "power amp", boosts the signal to power the speakers
- Note an INTEGRATED AMP has both the above in one box (so does an AVR).
DAC = "Digital to Analog Converter" converts a digital signal into one suitable for the preamp and amp to use.
- Not needed for signals input using RCA red/white connectors.

In your case, I would skip the DAC and just get an inexpensive Bluetooth receiver (~$30 on A-zon) for use with your phone
- I am assuming the iMac can output audio using RCA connectors--not a Mac guy myself.

No, not for a bedroom system in a relatively small room.
Maybe, but you must ensure the lower priced integrated amp still has a subwoofer output (may very well not).
Sounds like (pun intended) you have a good plan and are asking the right questions, good luck.

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Absolutely, both have a subwoofer output, enough power for your room.
- What you gain with an "integrated amp" vs. a AVR is simplicity, in both set-up and daily use. That is why I choose the integrated route for my bedroom setup, no regrets.
- The others are right on the cost ratio, but AVRs contain a lot of stuff/features you just do not need in your application.

The previous suggestions are solid; a 2nd vote for considering Sierra 1s.

PREAMP = process the input audio signal to prepare it for the power amp.
AMP = aka "power amp", boosts the signal to power the speakers
- Note an INTEGRATED AMP has both the above in one box (so does an AVR).
DAC = "Digital to Analog Converter" converts a digital signal into one suitable for the preamp and amp to use.
- Not needed for signals input using RCA red/white connectors.

In your case, I would skip the DAC and just get an inexpensive Bluetooth receiver (~$30 on A-zon) for use with your phone
- I am assuming the iMac can output audio using RCA connectors--not a Mac guy myself.

No, not for a bedroom system in a relatively small room.

Maybe, but you must ensure the lower priced integrated amp still has a subwoofer output (may very well not).

Sounds like (pun intended) you have a good plan and are asking the right questions, good luck.

Cheers,
XEagleDriver
Having a subwoofer preout without bass management is of limited benefit.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yep, but that's a receiver too, albeit two channels so less waste than a 7.1 avr, no room eq though.
Waste? Rr2160 is expensive for what is compared to an avr IMO (and I understand why)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Waste? Rr2160 is expensive for what is compared to an avr IMO (and I understand why)
Less waste literally becauese it is a 2 channel receiver with much less feature than those fully loaded 7.2 AVRs. In terms of value, you already know my opinion, that is AVR 100%, regardless of the "waste".:D Integrated amps never make sense to me, except for the only one I have, for my desktop system.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Less waste literally becauese it is a 2 channel receiver with much less feature than those fully loaded 7.2 AVRs. In terms of value, you already know my opinion, that is AVR 100%, regardless of the "waste".:D Integrated amps never make sense to me, except for the only one I have, for my desktop system.
I suppose I just don't think of an unused feature as waste, especially when you're giving up desireable features to have "less waste"....

A

Andrew Huynh

Audiophyte
First of all, I wanna thank you all for your effort.

After all, I have decided to stick with an Integrated Amplifier and go up a notch in my budget and manage to narrow down to 3 int. amps :

Cambridge Audio CXA60 $749

Yamaha A-S701 $799

Cambridge Audio CXA80 $999

I have a couple more questions as well:
1. What sets the Cambridge Audio CXA80 apart from the CXA60 and Yamaha A-S701? Is it the features or sound quality or something else?
2. In your opinion, (since sound could be a subjective matter), what is the best $1000 integrated amplifier?
I have absolutely no problems going a bit beyond the $1000 mark if it is really worth it, so any suggestions will be much help to me!

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai

After all, I have decided to stick with an Integrated Amplifier and go up a notch in my budget and manage to narrow down to 3 int. amps :

Yamaha A-S701 $799

1. What sets the Cambridge Audio CXA80 apart from the CXA60 and Yamaha A-S701? Is it the features or sound quality or something else?
2. In your opinion, (since sound could be a subjective matter), what is the best $1000 integrated amplifier?
I have absolutely no problems going a bit beyond the $1000 mark if it is really worth it, so any suggestions will be much help to me!
Good sound comes from good speakers. Learn this mantra and repeat it till you believe it. Then apply it to your shopping plan for electronics and interconnects. You don't need boutique gear to get amazing sound. You just need amazing speakers.

If you're going to be increasing your budget, spend more on speakers. Get the tweeter upgrade on the Sierras. Consider the Ultra towers. Go for the Philharmonic BMR or a pair of Salk Songbirds. Or stick with the options mentioned earlier and add a Hsu subwoofer.

What does the Cambridge offer over the Yamaha? Marketing. Don't forget, most listening at normal speaking volume occurs at around one watt of power or less. Whether that watt comes from a class A/B amp with a hulking toroidal transformer or a cheap SMSL chip amp with a wall wort makes little difference. Now, a more robust amp will of course grant you more overhead for peaks at higher volumes, but a cheap AVR ought to be sufficient for that.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Yamaha A-S701 $799

1. The CXA80 has the asynchronous USB input that could be useful if you play music from a PC but want to use the CXA80's build in DAC. This amp does not have DSD capability that nowadays even a low cost external usb dac has. So if you are not concerned with the asynchronous input, go with the CXA60.

I was impressed with the Yamaha A-S series integrated amps, until I search and found some bench test results on the older A-S500, 2000, and 3000. Their test results seemed worse than their AVR's, I had to re-read them a few times as I found that hard to believe.

2. Based on historic test results I have seen, the NAD ones are better, but you can stretch a little beyond $1,000 then the Anthem 225 is hard to beat.

https://www.amazon.com/Anthem-Integrated-225-Black-Amplifier/dp/B01MG8PHGE

Specs and test data aside, and subjectively, integrated and separates are definitely more attractive if they offer all of the features you need. Objectively, based on specs and bench test data, the higher mid range AVRs do offer better value due to economy of scale. Talking from experience, I am 100% sure most people would fail a simple blind (no need to be double blinded) tests on the integrated amps you mentioned so far, and the results will be the same if you add a $1000 (less if on sale) AVR to the mix.

As often cited on this forum, if you want better sound quality, look to speakers, room acoustics, and perhaps most importantly the source media.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis