Looking for schematic for Cambridge Soundworks P300HD subwoofer

C

Childof70s

Audiophyte
I own a P300HD subwoofer built and sold by [the now defunct?] Cambridge Soundworks. After 12 years of use, the subwoofer will no longer power up. Looking at the input board, I see that one of the capacitors is smoked (C618). I'm seeking a schematic so that I can determine the value of C618 and how it is incorporated into the circuit.

Does anyone have any insight as to where I might locate and obtain the schematic?

p300HD input board.jpg

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
No schematic on-line that I can find. If you unsolder the part can you remove it to see if you can read the value? If not, see if the circuit is symmetrical. Perhaps there is a matching part of equal value that you can reference. If this is part of the power supply then the exact value is not critical if it is just a filter cap. Bear in mind that something caused that cap to blow. There may be other damaged components. Subwoofer amps are often covered in goop to prevent vibration and are notoriously difficult to repair.

Here's a story of someone who tried to have it repaired. He lived near a former CS engineer who simply replaced the entire circuit board. That's usually the only fix available.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I own a P300HD subwoofer built and sold by [the now defunct?] Cambridge Soundworks. After 12 years of use, the subwoofer will no longer power up. Looking at the input board, I see that one of the capacitors is smoked (C618). I'm seeking a schematic so that I can determine the value of C618 and how it is incorporated into the circuit.

Does anyone have any insight as to where I might locate and obtain the schematic?

View attachment 51504
I came up empty.

Unfortunately service manuals these days do not often exist, and if they do are released to no one, and kept proprietary.

I have a couple of comments.

1. Smoked components are more often than not the result of the failure and not the cause.

2. Sub amps with their switching power supplies are a nightmare to service, and frankly usually impossible.

The unit does not seem to me to be one worth going to to a lot of trouble over.

Was it part of some type of HTIB system? I suspect it might have been.

Either way my advice is to cut your losses and move on.

C

Childof70s

Audiophyte
Thank you both for Insight. Sounds like I'd better give up unless I happen to stumble upon somebody that has the replacement board I need.

colofan

colofan

Enthusiast
If it is a typical switching supply. need to replace the FET's on the switcher and replace all of the caps in the power supply circuit. If you have the time and a DMM you should be able to debug. Another source is the local HAM group could help out with the electronics.

J

jose.hernandez

Audiophyte

View attachment 51504
This might be a little late but my P300HD just died after 12 years as well. I went exploring, but it wasn’t the C618. Here’s a pic of the clean C618 if it helps :)
9F88CB7E-710B-4548-B3C0-DFE9E94D1F65.jpeg

R

ROMzombi

Audiophyte
Does anyone know if the OP repaired this? I have the same C618 cap burned out. It appears to be the only thing burnt on the board.

Attachments

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Does anyone know if the OP repaired this? I have the same C618 cap burned out. It appears to be the only thing burnt on the board.
You know as much as we do from the above thread. The prior post shows the cap at 250nF 250V. Something made your cap blow, though. As colofan mentioned, I would first be looking at the FETs and diodes for the switch mode power supply section and check for any shorts. Inspect all caps for deformities. Repairing a switch mode power supply can be as easy as replacing the electrolytic caps but when a cap blow out like that you likely have a short somewhere. Not the kind of repair I would recommend for a novice to repair. Be sure to discharge any caps before working on it. There can be some high voltages in there.

R

ROMzombi

Audiophyte
I've been staring at the board and really see no other burnt, leaking, or deformities in any of the components. If the board isn't fixable i'm tempted to connect the subwoofer to my car (suv) stereo sub amp and hear what it sounds like.
* can shorting input cause that cap to blow like that? No that would not make sense.

This was given to me so I don't know what happened to it. What about shorting the power source input? Or some power surge in mains. This is also marked "risk of fire replace fuse as marked". I don't see any typical fuses on the board. If there were wouldn't it have saved that cap?

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I've been staring at the board and really see no other burnt, leaking, or deformities in any of the components. If the board isn't fixable i'm tempted to connect the subwoofer to my car (suv) stereo sub amp and hear what it sounds like.
* can shorting input cause that cap to blow like that? No that would not make sense.

This was given to me so I don't know what happened to it. What about shorting the power source input? Or some power surge in mains. This is also marked "risk of fire replace fuse as marked". I don't see any typical fuses on the board. If there were wouldn't it have saved that cap?
Parts do not always show physical signs of damage when they break down. If you don't know how switch mode power supplies operate and can't diagnose a circuit board with a multimeter then this is likely beyond your ability and at worst could be dangerous. These circuits sometimes use a grey fuse resistor instead of a glass fuse and they need to be measured. A surge could damage the unit but a failed cap could just as easily cause the power supply to fail. It's unlikely anything on the input caused the damage.

Car audio speakers tend to be designed differently from home audio components. I would not expect that unit to make a decent car audio sub.

R

ROMzombi

Audiophyte
Yes, it is different being that each woofer is 17 ohms. I like the size of the cabinet and that there is potential to move air with more combined surface area than what I'm presently using.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Yes, it is different being that each woofer is 17 ohms. I like the size of the cabinet and that there is potential to move air with more combined surface area than what I'm presently using.
If that is a 17 ohm driver, then that unit is a boat anchor.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis