Looking for receiver and sub recommendations

J

jackedin451

Audiophyte
Right now I have a pair of infinity 362 speakers I bought based on the recommendation of the reviews on this site. I cobbled together a working system between my home computer, external sound card, PS3, turntable and an amp (crown xls202) I had laying around. Everything works, but it is limited to two channels and could use some serious streamlining in the way of a receiver.

I will be moving shortly and plan to upgrade and get a matching center and surround speakers. When I do this, I would like to get a subwoofer and receiver. I would prefer if the receiver had a phono input for my turntable and preouts for the amp, but if it can power the 362s without issue (from what I understand they are a little power hungry because of low impedance) I'm fine ditching the amp.

I'm not too interested in a lot of bells and whistles on the amp. Phono, preout and I only have 2 hdmi sources, my computer and the ps3. Are there any receivers that aren't incredibly expensive which fit this bill? I'm hoping to find something for under 400 if possible, but from my preliminary research I couldn't find much.

Regarding a sub, I don't have much of a budget in mind - I'm just looking for best bang for the buck - simple to moderate DIY included, especially since I could possibly move my amp to power the sub. The room is fairly large with tall ceilings. I know this isn't the best situation. Any suggestions here?

Thanks so much!

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
If your budget is tight the parts express kits are easy to put together. If you want a small to medium step up from that you can always go with a Stereo Integrity subwoofer (or similar from PE etc) and a CNC cut cabinet from DIY audio. You'll need screws, wire, binding posts, fill and some way to finish it, but still pretty easy. Be aware that with the second option you'll need an amp as well, but with the PE kits the plate amp is included.

Unless I'm mistaken, you're looking at about $400+ for a receiver with phono.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
In addition to Fuzz's sub recommendation, How about a budget receiver and a low cost phono pre such as the belari vp-29- about 50 bucks ( I have one due to a long run between my TT and receiver) works great!
you' still need a center channel speaker-keep an eye out for a deal on infinity- same series for voice( timbre) matching. And surounds - matching is not that important.
Cheers, Mac

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
In addition to Fuzz's sub recommendation, How about a budget receiver and a low cost phono pre such as the belari vp-29- about 50 bucks ( I have one due to a long run between my TT and receiver) works great!
you' still need a center channel speaker-keep an eye out for a deal on infinity- same series for voice( timbre) matching. And surounds - matching is not that important.
Cheers, Mac
Duh, Phono pre. Sheesh. :eek:

16hz lover

Audioholic Intern
Go with the Stereo Integrity drivers, highly recommended and satisfied customer.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis