Looking for inexpensive bookshelves for on wall surrounds.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Price needs to be around $100, less if possible, the cheaper the better. Daytons are out of the question because they have horrible off axis response vertically and these would be mounted 2' above ear level. It needs to either be sealed or front ported and come with a keyhole mounting bracket on the back. This is for a small bedroom 4.1 setup (no center channel) I realize my options are limited to lower quality speakers but sound quality comes second to being cheap and wall mountable.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Your budget and the fact that you want it to hang on a screw (which means the speaker can’t be more than a few pounds) limits the playing field considerably. The Polk OWM3 fits the bill. You might also considered a used pair of the vintage Realistic Minimus 7 from ebay. It came in a variety of colors like wood grain, black, silver and white. I've been using a pair for surrounds in my bedroom system for a number of years.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
@yepimonfire If you're using them for surround duty, then I highly recommend the Fluance AVBP2. If $100 is a hard limit or if you're looking for wall-mountable front LR, then Amazon has a couple of used NXG Pro 4.1 satellites within budget that are highly regarded.

Last edited:
Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai

Your budget and the fact that you want it to hang on a screw (which means the speaker can’t be more than a few pounds) limits the playing field considerably. The Polk OWM3 fits the bill. You might also considered a used pair of the vintage Realistic Minimus 7 from ebay. It came in a variety of colors like wood grain, black, silver and white. I've been using a pair for surrounds in my bedroom system for a number of years.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

I've got a pair of these as height speakers. They work extremely well for overheard placement using nothing but a wall dog type screw but for the price I could do better. With a measured frequency response -3dB at 150hz and an insane 10dB slope at 10khz-16khz they would overpower the mains in perceived loudness, as I've tried using them as surrounds before. That spike is great for localization over overhead sounds where the listener is usually off axis in regards to the tweeters, but not so good when paired with flatter speakers on axis. The sub used in the bedroom setup also has an internal crossover that stops at 140hz with no lfe input, so unless I want a hole in the frequency response they won't work.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I would also look at the Mordaunt Short Carnival 3 bi-pole speakers ($100/pr)
Mordaunt Short is a UK company which is why we don't hear much of them over here. They seem to be a good company, but I have not heard these.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/mordcarn3blk/mordaunt-short-carnival-3-3.5-2-way-bipole-speaker-black-pair/1.html

Edit: Just noticed that A4L has open box Mordaunt Shorts for $80/pr.:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/mordcarn3blkb/mordaunt-short-carnival-3-bipole-speaker-black-pair-open-box/1.html

For HT, I think Klipsch is an especially good value when you can find close-outs like this:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0S6-0033-00351
But they will still run about $160 for the pair.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis