Looking for help with bookshelf speakers under $1500 shipped.

V

vaf

Enthusiast
Hello all. I'm checking out some bookshelf speakers and I'd like to stay under $1500 shipped. Right now my room size is killing me. I have an old 7.1 setup from college that I still enjoy, but I don't have near enough room even for the two front towers and center in the living room. In light of this I am interested in getting a nice (relative to my price range) pair of bookshelf speakers for mostly music, some TV/movies/gaming.

My living room is roughly 10' x 20' and because of where the doors are the speakers will essentially be centered on the 20' wall. So the room's small-ish, and I'll only be listening from about 8' away, BUT I'll be out of this place in the next 5 years max so I don't want to under-do it.

I've been lurking on this site for years and from my searching through old threads I've come up with the following short list.

KEF LS50 - 1500
KEF R100 - 1200
Peachtree D5 - 1000
B&W CM1R - 1000
Ascend Sierra-1 - 900
Philharmonitors - 850
PSB Mini - 750
Aperion Grand Verus - 700
Ascend CMT-340 - 600

I live in Pittsburgh and unfortunately there aren't really any places that I can go to audition any of these... at least from what I know of personally and what I was able to find on google. Nor do I know anyone that own any of the equipment above.

I guess what I'm looking for is any sort of recommendation or background from those of you that do have experience with these speakers. I wanted to do a little homework on here prior to attempting to do in-home audition with any of these. Thanks in advance.

Vince

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I would narrow the list to these:
Ascend Sierra-1 - 900
Philharmonitors - 850
Ascend CMT-340 - 600

Do you intend to add a sub or have sub already? Getting bass out of bookshelf speakers is quite challenging

Honestly, Philharmonitors would be my first choice

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That's a pretty varied list. Of those, I'd probably lean toward the Phils or Sierras.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
If you want to explore more - then also look at the Wharfedale Jade
and the new Monitor Audio Silver 1 and Silver 2

Ascend Sierra and Philharmonic are also nice options

V

vaf

Enthusiast
Ascend Sierra-1 - 900
Philharmonitors - 850
Ascend CMT-340 - 600

Do you intend to add a sub or have sub already? Getting bass out of bookshelf speakers is quite channeling

Yeah, I've read a lot of good press here and in other places for the Philharmonitors. I've already got a receiver and several subs from my past setup(s) so I'm good on that front. I've jsut got to find somewhere to shoehorn one of them in! Appreciate the advice.

V

vaf

Enthusiast
That's a pretty varied list. Of those, I'd probably lean toward the Phils or Sierras.
It is quite varied. But having not heard any of them in person, and having read many good reviews/opinions on all of them on various forums etc, I figured this would be a good starting point and that I could narrow it down from here. I've also never owned speakers with a ribbon tweeter (in the case of the Phils), nor have I listened to speakers that have had them for any significant duration.

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
If you want to explore more - then also look at the Wharfedale Jade
and the new Monitor Audio Silver 1 and Silver 2

Ascend Sierra and Philharmonic are also nice options
Some good recommendations here...

I had the Jade 1 and it was really nice - one of the best imaging speakers I've heard, and very good resolution... On the other hand, it was bass shy and very inefficient. I'd say go for the Jade 3 if possible...

Then again, for $1500, I'd be looking hard at the Ascend Sierra-2 with RAAL tweeter.

Of course, the Philharmonitors are alot cheaper, and very good feedback on them...

If you are really interested in PSB, I'd say look at the Imagine B instead of the Mini...

J

JonnyFive23517

Audioholic
Hello all. I'm checking out some bookshelf speakers and I'd like to stay under $1500 shipped. Right now my room size is killing me. I have an old 7.1 setup from college that I still enjoy, but I don't have near enough room even for the two front towers and center in the living room. In light of this I am interested in getting a nice (relative to my price range) pair of bookshelf
Many bookshelf stands have the same footprint as a small tower, you're not going to save yourself much/any floor space. I dealt with bookshelves, and after paying for stands, dinking around with them, worrying about them getting knocked over, etc...I wish I would have just gone with some towers to begin with. Just trying to offer a contrasting opinion, so you don't regret the bookshelves later. -Jon

J

JonnyFive23517

Audioholic
Ascend Sierra-1 - 900
Philharmonitors - 850
Ascend CMT-340 - 600

Do you intend to add a sub or have sub already? Getting bass out of bookshelf speakers is quite challenging

I'd also give a nod to the Philharmonitors.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'd also give a nod to the Philharmonitors.
+1 to the Phils, I have these and they are great.

Otherwise, if the extra $ doesn't bother you, MY short list would be
KEF LS50 (be aware, no grills and that might be a deal breaker for some people)
Ascend Sierra 2

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Ascend Sierra 2's. I have them and they are wonderful if you value a clear detailed top end. It's a RAAL ribbon tweeter..

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
While I can’t speak to all your choices, I have heard and demoed 4 of the models (KEF LS50, KEF R100, B&W CM1R and the PSB Mini – 750) at some of the local B&M shops 3 years ago when I went thru the process like you (see link below). While I don’t doubt the performance & sonic qualities of the Ascend Sirra-1’s & the Philharmonitors, I couldn’t get over paying for a demo for a speaker I might not like.
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/loudspeakers/90960-looking-help-bookshelf-speakers-under-$1500-shipped.html

I ended up purchasing the KEF LS50’s and have no regrets whatsoever. I’m in the market again for another sub $2K speaker for another sound room and while getting another pair of LS50’s isn’t out of the question, I’m starting to think that maybe I limited myself to bookshelf speakers because of the room acoustics in my office. I have no such limitations this time, and I’m starting to think I can do better with a floor stander. I’ll probably get a subwoofer anyway to reach the depths of the music I’ve become accustomed to, even though most floor standers have a better low frequency response. I’ll be demoing a pair of BG Z-7’s next week and I’m also seriously considering the Bamberg 2TM’s … I know, I know they’re a bookshelf :) … and the Salk SongTower QWT’s and that’s just the current front runners. I’ll probably add another 4 brands before it’s all over but that’s what makes this hobby fun.

Good luck whatever your choice and let your ears be your guide.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
All mentioned are great.

I would also add the RBH SX-61/R to the list. MSRP is $1900, but you could get them for a lot less.

It is similar to their new $12K granite bookshelf speakers, except it is made of wood. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis