looking for floorstanding speakers in the $500-$1000 range..

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
The KEF Q series has been at lowered pricing for about 3-1/2 months now, and they have discontinued or at least delayed production of rosewood, white, and in some models, European Walnut. I get the feeling they're going to adopt the Q series to be a "black only" offering, representing their lowest cost option. They had until last fall the C series as their lowest cost one, now extant from their main website and their KEF Direct e-commerce one.

All finishes have always been sold at exactly the same price, and I know my dealer sells at whatever KEF Direct is pricing them at because I actually got $100 back with an apology when I bought my son the Q500's for his birthday. I also bought my own R100 pair from them in December 2015 at the KEF Direct sale price of $800.

I'm anxious to see if KEF introduces a new product between the new lowered pricing of the Q series and the much higher R series.

J

JRT3

Junior Audioholic
My favorite speakers are my Klipsch Heresys, actually, a nice pair of '78 vintage units I found on Craig's List for $375 + a couple of gallons of gas last fall. I had been saving up for a pair of new ones - now $1,998/pr. Still made in Hope, AR, they are available in black, cherry, & walnut veneer. They include a 12" LF driver in an acoustic suspension enclosure crossed at 850 Hz to a 1.75" Ti MF compression horn and at 5,000 Hz to a 1" Ti HF compression horn. Mine actually has the same horns as the then available Klipschorns. Today's version states an SPL of 99dB and a frequency response of 58Hz - 20 kHz +/-3dB. Their bass is musical and actually seems to go lower than my previous favorites, a pair of large PRC-made bookshelf Klipsch RB-81ii's, which are rated 44 Hz - 24 kHz +/-3dB and SPL of 97 dB, and now rest - precariously - on a pair of 24" HD stands in my bonus room.

The efficient Heresys are only rated for 100 Wrms max, but will yield 116dB SPL max sustained. Short/squat, 24" x 16" x 13" (lwd), they are designed for floor mounting (44lb/ea). They are Klipsch's entry level version of the US-made Heritage line and were first offered in 1957 as a diagonal pairing with a Klipschorn in a mono installation. I first heard one as a CC speaker to a pair of Klipschorns in a stereo installation in 1971 - and the die was cast. Even my office stereo installation sounds spacious and dynamic, with great 'controlled' bass and clear mids and highs, admittedly, a stereo music-only set-up (Onkyo C-7030 CDP and an Emotiva A-100 BasX 50 Wpc amp!). For HT use, you'll likely want a sub-woofer. I carried my old "Graceland" (Paul Simon) CD to audition my used Heresys... it sold them! My only regret is that I didn't buy them earlier... even at the then full price of $1,700/pr new!

Oh, the HD SSBM24 24" stands are decidedly top heavy with the ~28lb RB-81ii's atop them. It would take lead in those tubes to stabilize them, even with the carpet spikes. My first experience with 'stands'.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
My son has KEF Q500...and a pair of Klipsch H, identical to Heresy and the forerunner of them. He prefers the KEF.

So everyone is different. I don't know if the Heresy would meet the OP's needs, I believe he asked for slender, around 36" tall. The Heresy is neither of those things.

J

jjwelly

Audioholic Intern
Hello everyone. I want to once again thank everyone for their input. I ordered my receiver finally (x3300w) so now I'm feeling the pressure to make a decision on speakers. I'm been taking notes on them as I'm looking, and wanted to post them here for you all to chime in. It is a bummer that I don't have the option to listen to these, so I'm wondering where I can go to find a comparison or chart on their performance. As some have mentioned, looks shouldn't be the deciding factor to my decision, which I agree. At this point, I'm looking for the knowledge to make the best decision on which one of these speakers would be best one to go with.

KEF Q500 - maybe a little light on bass. also have never liked the idea of passive radiators, but I'm no expert. maybe they are worthy. nice sale on them now. also cabinets sound like they are nicely made.

KEF Q700 - maybe a better option for bass. same passive radiators. nice sale on these too. nice(r) cabinets.

SVS Prime - 4 'real' speakers, seem nice, sleak looking.

chane A5RX - cabinets don't seem as nice as the others, but I could be wrong. appears to be 5 real speakers.

Aperion Intimus 5T - not sure of the cabinets. their new 'stealth' line are more matte finish. 1 tweeter and 2 woofers. Probably lowest on my list right now..

ELAC Uni-Fi UF5 - cabinet finish is somewhat unique. Still vinyl, but not a faux wood, just textured. 4 nice looking speakers. only option with magnetic grille. seem like nice speakers.

J

jjwelly

Audioholic Intern
Hey All:

Just letting everyone know I ordered some SVS Prime towers. Thanks for everyone's input!

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
If you could bump up to $1500, the Salk SongBirds could be custom made in any standard finish you like, and would offer exceptional aural detail. These would be heirloom quality speakers.

edited per BSA's response
rojo
I like the way you think. Salks........hmmmmmm......Salks

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Hey All:

Just letting everyone know I ordered some SVS Prime towers. Thanks for everyone's input!
Cool. thanks for the update. I always like it when I can see the discussion come to a decision.
SVS Prime = goodness. You should be pretty happy.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis