looking for floorstanding speakers in the $500-$1000 range..

J

jjwelly

Audioholic Intern
Hey all:

I'm wanting to upgrade my existing receiver as well as my front floorstanding speakers, both of which are very old. My fronts are huge 12" DCM's from the 90's! So time for an upgrade, and wanting some that are smaller/slimmer but still floorstanding, and better suited for surround sound/video content but still capable for audio music. My other components are fairly old as well so I'm really planning on not selecting the speakers or the receiver based on what I currently have. I do plan on buying both speakers and receiver at the same time. I'm currently looking at the Onkyo RZ-710 or the Denon x3300w, if this helps with options I should be looking at.

Thanks for any suggestions.

J

jjwelly

Audioholic Intern
Nice! Appreciate the lead. I'll check these out! Thank you.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd suggest to start by letting us know what is your budget and goals for this. Some dcm were quite good. It might a challenge to get great replacement on a budget.

J

jjwelly

Audioholic Intern
Budget is $500-$1000ish, unless it's recommended to spend a little over that. but that's what I initially was thinking. Goals are simply wanting to improve on sound quality for cinema/tv/surround sound, while still maintaining good sound for stereo music. Also like to save some room with smaller ones, which seems like all floorstanding speakers pretty much do these days, at least ones I've seen. The DCM's I have are old school stereo 12"s. Wanna put them in the basement for stereo only and get something new.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Budget is $500-$1000ish, unless it's recommended to spend a little over that. but that's what I initially was thinking. Goals are simply wanting to improve on sound quality for cinema/tv/surround sound, while still maintaining good sound for stereo music. Also like to save some room with smaller ones, which seems like all floorstanding speakers pretty much do these days, at least ones I've seen. The DCM's I have are old school stereo 12"s. Wanna put them in the basement for stereo only and get something new.
Would you consider really good bookshelves? - just add nice stands:
http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html
These are rated down to 48hz -3db (likely to be deeper in smaller space) so - they do have very nice bass

J

jjwelly

Audioholic Intern
I suppose I wouldn't be opposed to bookshelves, if I actually found some good stands or they offered stands to turn them into floorstanding speakers. Most of the stands I see I don't like, and/or seem unstable. I have young children and dogs that rummage the house. I probably would rather just pay more for equivalent floorstanding speakers over bookshelves. My budget is 'loose', and I'm willing to spend more if it's justified. I'm by no means an audio guru, but I do appreciate good quality products, speakers included. Thank you again for your help!

cel4145

cel4145

Audioholic
Some stands you can fill the support columns with sand or gravel, making them uber stable.

J

jjwelly

Audioholic Intern
Some stands you can fill the support columns with sand or gravel, making them uber stable.
Definitely would be a must! Thanks. So I would entertain bookstands if the speakers/stands pass my stability/aesthetic needs.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Definitely would be a must! Thanks. So I would entertain bookstands if the speakers/stands pass my stability/aesthetic needs.
One more great option to consider are speaker below. They have matching (optional stands which make them look like any other tower speaker)
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340m/cmt340m.html

btw: above mentioned EMP's towers looks and sound very nice for their price.
Gene reviewed them a while back:
http://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/emptek-e55ti

(Ascend's CMT340SE would be better speaker, but if you like EMP look better)

I'm lucky that my better half does not have complains about my tSc simply black tower speakers.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
One more great option to consider are speaker below. They have matching (optional stands which make them look like any other tower speaker)
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340m/cmt340m.html

btw: above mentioned EMP's towers looks and sound very nice for their price.
Gene reviewed them a while back:
http://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/emptek-e55ti

(Ascend's CMT340SE would be better speaker, but if you like EMP look better)

I'm lucky that my better half does not have complains about my tSc simply black tower speakers.
I was going to suggest the same thing. CMT340SE + pedestal stands = $708 + s/h. They look like towers, and indeed the speakers can lock to the stands by attaching a plate. And the stands can be filled with sand or cat litter or whatever ballast you wish. They're relatively slim, and they have a neutral response appropriate for music reproduction. Might also consider stepping up to the Sierra 1 + pedestal stands for $940 + s/h.

T

Thunder240

Audioholic Intern
I ran Ascend CMT-340SE with stands for 6 years, using them for both movies and stereo. Besides being quite musical, they have great dynamics and can handle a lot of power, which is nice for movies. And at $708 with stands, you'll still have money left in your budget for a sub!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

jjwelly

Audioholic Intern
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I'm struggling with the looks of most of these. I didn't think I was such a picky person, but I guess I am. I've seen some slick speakers here and there. I know looks is not important when compared to sound, but it's something I can't look past. I really dislike high gloss finishes. That rules out EMP's and the Sierra 1's. The philharmonics don't have matching stands, so I'm doubting that I would find stands that match finish and size. The cmt 340's are an option with the stands. They are a little tall with the stands but not bad. So I'm still considering these. The Chanes are not bad either. They are a good size, looks are basic with the wood grain vinyl. Just wish these manufacturers would just offer some matte wood grain cabinets, in black, maybe dark gray/black, or expresso/walnut.

Gonna keep searching for options. I'll update this thread with questions and other findings so I can get advice. I still am on hold with buying a receiver as they are not currently on sale, so I have some time.

Thanks again to everyone for their time and input.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I'm struggling with the looks of most of these. I didn't think I was such a picky person, but I guess I am. I've seen some slick speakers here and there. I know looks is not important when compared to sound, but it's something I can't look past. I really dislike high gloss finishes. That rules out EMP's and the Sierra 1's. The philharmonics don't have matching stands, so I'm doubting that I would find stands that match finish and size. The cmt 340's are an option with the stands. They are a little tall with the stands but not bad. So I'm still considering these. The Chanes are not bad either. They are a good size, looks are basic with the wood grain vinyl. Just wish these manufacturers would just offer some matte wood grain cabinets, in black, maybe dark gray/black, or expresso/walnut.

Gonna keep searching for options. I'll update this thread with questions and other findings so I can get advice. I still am on hold with buying a receiver as they are not currently on sale, so I have some time.

You could AIY a pair of Jeff Bagby's Solstice MLTL towers and finish them in any finish you like. Check out the remarkably flat frequency response.

Other offerings in your price range include the Aperion Intimus 5T (a little forward sounding), Fluance Signature Series (a little warm / recessed), Klipsch RP-280F (possibly similar response to the RP-280FA? If so, they ought to be pretty neutral.), XTZ Sound 95.44 (definitely worth an audition), refurb KEF Q900 (also worth an audition), SVS Prime towers (maybe a little sibilant at times, perhaps tamed somewhat by leaving the grill on).

Of this list, the Solstice I think will offer the most pleasing sound, but they'll also requires time and patience to build and finish. After that, I'd probably be inclined to try the KEFs.

Last edited:
J

jjwelly

Audioholic Intern
liking the multitude of options. don't think I want to mess with the finishing myself, but that's cool someone is making these. The Aperion are nice options. Like how small they are. looks like they offer a less glossy black option which is nice. don't have very good pictures on website so can't tell exactly how glossy they really are. The Fluances are nice too. These were the brand I initially ran into before coming to this site for advice. I was looking at the XL7F's since they were nice size/small and priced nicely. I think they used to be offered in walnut, but don't think so anymore. anyways flat black wood is good enough. The signature series are larger, but maybe they would be ok. I don't mind spending more on them, but I don't want overly large speakers. The klipsch RP280F's are nice options too. Like to know if they really are on the same page quality wise as these others. Guess I always feel the big names cheapen out on quality. LOVE the XTZs looks wise, but they don't have grille covers! WTF. Can't do these. bummer too. The SVS Primes are good looking options too!

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic

SVS Prime Towers are within your budget and they allow you 45 days to audition them and if you don't want them they pay the return shipping, take alook...

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
liking the multitude of options. don't think I want to mess with the finishing myself, but that's cool someone is making these. The Aperion are nice options. Like how small they are. looks like they offer a less glossy black option which is nice. don't have very good pictures on website so can't tell exactly how glossy they really are. The Fluances are nice too. These were the brand I initially ran into before coming to this site for advice. I was looking at the XL7F's since they were nice size/small and priced nicely. I think they used to be offered in walnut, but don't think so anymore. anyways flat black wood is good enough. The signature series are larger, but maybe they would be ok. I don't mind spending more on them, but I don't want overly large speakers. The klipsch RP280F's are nice options too. Like to know if they really are on the same page quality wise as these others. Guess I always feel the big names cheapen out on quality. LOVE the XTZs looks wise, but they don't have grille covers! WTF. Can't do these. bummer too. The SVS Primes are good looking options too!
If you could bump up to $1500, the Salk SongBirds could be custom made in any standard finish you like, and would offer exceptional aural detail. These would be heirloom quality speakers.

edited per BSA's response

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If you could bump up to $1500, the Salk SongBirds could be custom made in any finish you like, and would offer exceptional aural detail. These would be heirloom quality speakers.
Great speakers, but to be fair with custom finish price would closer to 2k

J

jjwelly

Audioholic Intern
And from what I see no grilles. Honestly not interested in anything that doesn't have grilles. They may not completely protect the speakers, but they do hide the temptation to push the domes in or color them with markers. I have young kids...

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
And from what I see no grilles. Honestly not interested in anything that doesn't have grilles. They may not completely protect the speakers, but they do hide the temptation to push the domes in or color them with markers. I have young kids...
I'm pretty sure they come with grills, and if for what ever reason they don't, Jim will make you up a pair. Grills can be overcome :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis