Looking for feedback on slow upgrade.

X

xjfan

Audiophyte
Hello eveyone,

Great forum. Watched lots of videos, great input.

Looking for some guidance. I'm looking to upgrade our current setup. Onkyo HTIB : HT R520. Don't remember how long we've had. Got it back in the Circuit City days.

We enjoy watching action movies loud (not extreme). Also like lots of bass (explosions, engines, fire fights, ect)

Setting is kept at [All channels stereo] seems to sound the best and loudest. The main use is for watching tv, movies (blu-ray/netflix), Xbox, music (not often but like to jam 80's, edm, classic rock, salsa). To stream, we have a bluetooth adapter connected to an input. At this time, directv, xbox one hdmi connect to tv for video. Rca cables to receiver for audio.

The new receiver must have enough hdmi ports for Directv set top box, blu-ray, xbox one and 360, future htpc. Not looking for ATMOS setup. Just a nice setup that sounds good and loud.

Space: 17'w x 18'l x8'h
Viewing distance: 16' (from 18' wall)
Budget: $800 (receiver, searching accessories4less)
Setup: 5.1 (upgrade slowly over time)

Question: What should be our first upgrade, receiver or speakers? What are your recommendations? I'm new to my area and not aware of electronic stores other than best buy. Going to search.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
with $800 budget and you like HT/Explosions/SFX much, I think your first upgrade should be the sub like this one:
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk5HP.html
This outlet model is great deal:
https://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/outlet-center/products/xs15se-b
probably won't last long.

Next to Left/Center/Right speakers (Ascend CMT340se for example)
Then The receiver - I suggest something mid range from Denon/Marantz.

This is the order, despite what may feels right to you to go with avr first.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Agree with BSA, the receiver should be last thing to change at this point and starting with a good sub would be a noticeable improvement with what you currently have, then speakers. Curious why you are not using the digital inputs on the avr for better audio, though?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Are you using all channel stereo for all material? if so, you are not getting an experience as designed by film makers and sound designers. if that's your preference however, go for it.
I would also start with a sub, and move on to speakers.
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/LVX12.html
I couldn't find anything about the speakers that came with the 520, but compared to any of the ID(internet direct) sub companies, you only have one way to go. Also, WOW, that avr is old. Connectivity is very limited, but in the interest of performance first, id still buy a sub.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Are you using all channel stereo for all material? if so, you are not getting an experience as designed by film makers and sound designers. if that's your preference however, go for it.
I would also start with a sub, and move on to speakers.
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/LVX12.html
I couldn't find anything about the speakers that came with the 520, but compared to any of the ID(internet direct) sub companies, you only have one way to go. Also, WOW, that avr is old. Connectivity is very limited, but in the interest of performance first, id still buy a sub.
Yes, this. You're not getting surround sound if you're running all channel stereo for everything. I personally never use acs, but I guess I understand having the whole room "filled with sound". My son used to prefer all channel until I sat him down and we did some real listening. At one point he said, "but stereo just doesn't fill the room like all channel.". I turned up the volume to almost painful levels and said "full enough now?". He said yes. :p

The biggest, most noticeable upgrade I've done since joining this site (with my Ultras running a close second) was a subwoofer upgrade. Intuitively I just didn't think it would be that noticeable. It's just bass frequencies. Wrong. Cleaner bass is very underrated. I was pretty blown away at how much it cleaned up my whole system. Spend as much as you can reasonably afford on a sub(s) first, then front speakers, then avr.

William loves his Rythmiks, rightly so they're great subs, but there are more out there. I've had great experiences with SVS and Hsu as well.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think many have the idea that the surrounds should have equal sound levels to the fronts, sort of like old quad systems; it's something you get full time with all channel stereo, but only occasionally with something recorded for surround effects.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The AVR has to go, although it might be serviceable in the meantime. It does not even have HDMI connectivity. Personally I would go for a pair of speakers plus a new AVR. Your present speakers are pretty bad, and I don't think it makes any sense to get a subwoofer first, with the kind of speakers you have presently.

The aforementioned Hsu 2.1 system would be very good, although it does go over-budget a tad when shipping is factored in. The bass from the Hsu subwoofer is pretty phenomenal. Another good choice would be to just get a pair of Fluance Signature towers- that is the most bass you will get in that price point without getting a separate subwoofer.

Another way to go about building the system would be to get a modern AVR with a decent, affordable pair of speakers, and for that I would be looking at a pair of Philharmonic AAs with $600 receiver from Yamaha, Marantz, or Denon. With this route you would have to do without serious bass for awhile until you could afford a sub, but at least you have the heart of the system in place until you decide on what subwoofer to get.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The AVR has to go, although it might be serviceable in the meantime. It does not even have HDMI connectivity. Personally I would go for a pair of speakers plus a new AVR. Your present speakers are pretty bad, and I don't think it makes any sense to get a subwoofer first, with the kind of speakers you have presently.

The aforementioned Hsu 2.1 system would be very good, although it does go over-budget a tad when shipping is factored in. The bass from the Hsu subwoofer is pretty phenomenal. Another good choice would be to just get a pair of Fluance Signature towers- that is the most bass you will get in that price point without getting a separate subwoofer.

Another way to go about building the system would be to get a modern AVR with a decent, affordable pair of speakers, and for that I would be looking at a pair of Philharmonic AAs with $600 receiver from Yamaha, Marantz, or Denon. With this route you would have to do without serious bass for awhile until you could afford a sub, but at least you have the heart of the system in place until you decide on what subwoofer to get.
I was so focused on subs that I didn't look up the receiver and speakers. I'm slanting this way as well now.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The receiver doesn't have HDMI but it does have digital input so for a 5.1 setup, it will work pretty well until he saves up a bit more (and he's not even using the digital input so he's only getting 2.0 right now anyways). I still think the sub comes first as that will be a more noticeable improvement than hdmi will bring or getting new speakers with his current sub.

X

xjfan

Audiophyte
T

Thanks for the replies. Lots to think about. I'm the meantime here are some pics of the current equipment. Its spread all over the house, installing new flooring. Found a label on the side of the receiver, has a date 08/22/04. This guy has later a long time.

Pictures not too clear. Will try to posted better ones later

Powered sub

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The receiver doesn't have HDMI but it does have digital input so for a 5.1 setup, it will work pretty well until he saves up a bit more (and he's not even using the digital input so he's only getting 2.0 right now anyways). I still think the sub comes first as that will be a more noticeable improvement than hdmi will bring or getting new speakers with his current sub.
Agree about the receiver as long as it has some sort of digital input. Those speakers tho...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Funny! My son is using my very old txsr 500. Looks familiar. lol

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Agree about the receiver as long as it has some sort of digital input. Those speakers tho...
The photos are too tiny, but according to online manual (page 8 diagram) I see 3 digital optical input and 1 coax (I think it's 3 total addressable one, not 4)

Still I see both Dolby digital and DTS are supported, which both vast improvements over analog rca.
Lack of HDMI is major inconvenience, but not a show stopper imo.
For the humble budget of $800 sub is no doubt best bang for the buck (literally)

Make no mistake, If you had a LG/Samsung/Vizio or practically anyone else HTIB (except Onkyo) - We'd tell you to trash it entirely. Onkyo did and I think still does just uses full features lower end receivers for their htib systems.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Your Onkyo is fine for now, if you use the digital inputs. If you buy a new receiver first -- then you still have a good chance of being annoyed by the same sub and front channel speakers. Your sub and speakers are limited.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, this. You're not getting surround sound if you're running all channel stereo for everything. I personally never use acs, but I guess I understand having the whole room "filled with sound". My son used to prefer all channel until I sat him down and we did some real listening. At one point he said, "but stereo just doesn't fill the room like all channel.". I turned up the volume to almost painful levels and said "full enough now?". He said yes. :p

The biggest, most noticeable upgrade I've done since joining this site (with my Ultras running a close second) was a subwoofer upgrade. Intuitively I just didn't think it would be that noticeable. It's just bass frequencies. Wrong. Cleaner bass is very underrated. I was pretty blown away at how much it cleaned up my whole system. Spend as much as you can reasonably afford on a sub(s) first, then front speakers, then avr.

William loves his Rythmiks, rightly so they're great subs, but there are more out there. I've had great experiences with SVS and Hsu as well.
Lol! Oh you noticed that huh? It's true, I've been drinking the rythmik kook-aid, and hsu always gets thrown in so I just like to throw em out there. Pogre is right, though, hsu makes excellent value subwoofers, and I've had great experiences with svs myself.
@Pogre, that's how I teach my kid too. He's 14 and know everything. Lol. I also dislike acs fwiw.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Lol! Oh you noticed that huh? It's true, I've been drinking the rythmik kook-aid, and hsu always gets thrown in so I just like to throw em out there. Pogre is right, though, hsu makes excellent value subwoofers, and I've had great experiences with svs myself.
@Pogre, that's how I teach my kid too. He's 14 and know everything. Lol. I also dislike acs fwiw.
Mine is 18, and he's finally starting to figure out the old man knows what he's talking about sometimes. He still knows everything tho...

X

xjfan

Audiophyte
Thanks for the input. I'll work on getting better pictures. Gonna looking into the sub, lots of options. Will checkout the ones you guys have mentioned.

After the sub, I'll look into LCR speakers. Rear will be last.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was about to order the receiver first. Was considering Yamaha RX-A860 or Denon X4100W. Glad I reached out to you guys first.

X

xjfan

Audiophyte
Been doing some researching. What's you guys thought on diy sub? Do they perform just was good as the ones recommended? Any real advantage price wise? I've seen a few kits.

Back in the day (long time ago) I've built several car audio subs.

Just wanted to get some input from others that have built them.

Thanks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Been doing some researching. What's you guys thought on diy sub? Do they perform just was good as the ones recommended? Any real advantage price wise? I've seen a few kits.

Back in the day (long time ago) I've built several car audio subs.

Just wanted to get some input from others that have built them.

Thanks.
I've built several, won't be going back to buying them. Somewhat depends on your tolerance for your own finishing skills, especially if WAF is involved :) The flatpack kits can be pretty good but you can save some money by building your own boxes; getting an amp that can handle dual subs is a great way to stretch your sub $; you could build duals for your budget....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis