looking for definitive technology bipolar speaker placement experiences!

K

kickerscrt

Enthusiast
Hello there,
I know there's quite a few people on this forum using Def Tech speakers, and I am looking to just see how ya'all have them set-up. This mostly applies to the super tower line. As I currently have the BP7004's, they are about 7 feet apart, roughly 24 inches from the front wall, and toed in slightly. I have the active subwoofers facing in toward one another.
What I'm curious about is the distance from the wall you all have yours, and which way you have the ACTIVE subwoofers facing. What provided the best imaging, soundfield depth, and smoothest bass response. Also, at approximately what position do you have the sub level control set to? I know every single setup is different, but I just would like to kind of compare my setup with some of you guys who have been doing this a lot longer than me!

Thanks,
Kyle

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
have you tried a search? There are several posts in that regard:)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have my BP7000SCs 3' from the Front wall, 3.5' from the Side walls, 7' apart, and with the Active Subwoofers facing Each other. I set all my speakers' built-in Subs to the 11 o'clock position, which according to my wife is too much. She makes me turn them way down when she watches a movie with me!

Placement makes a huge difference.

I think most of us who own DefTechs don't even have OPTIMAL placements YET.:D

If I had room, I would even prefer to have the speakers 6' from the front wall, 6' from the side walls, and 10' apart.:D

itschris

itschris

I have the 7002's and mine are about 8 feet apart and in their critical listening position, about 2.5 from the wall. It'll be hard for me to ever have really sound placement because on the left, I have a giant glass display case and granite fireplace, and on the right... nothing... it opens up to the kitchen and breakfast area.

Moving them forward from the wall made a huge difference, but too much seemed to actually create a hole. I would get yourself some of that blue painters tape, number it, and mark various placements. Listen to music you know very well, and note what you here along side the corresponding marker.

That'll help you dial it in.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I normally use my BP8Bs and 10Bs in my HT, which is a small room. In there, I can only place them 8" from the wall behind them and 10" from the side walls. This gives a huge soundstage (subjectively eliminating the room), but at the cost of some imaging precision. Music in this setup has boomy bass, but for some reason soundtracks do not.

Occasionally, I use one pair in my stereo. In that room, I am able to place them 7' from the wall behind them and 18" from the side walls. This eliminates much of the boominess and tightens up the imaging. Soundstage is still large compared to conventional speakers, but not as huge as it is in the HT.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis