Looking For Advice: Sticky-back Flatwire, Wire Size & Options For Infinity Interludes

D

DistortedAxis

Audiophyte
Hi all,

It’s been a couple years since played with my current audio set up. I’m moving out of an apartment and into a townhouse. But, unlike my bachelor pad, I am not allowed to have ANY exposed wiring for the surround set-up [says the girlfriend]. Since we are painting before we move in, I have the option to use the adhesive-backed, paint over flat wire without all the added cost since paint was already in the budget. There are only two cable runs that would require hiding. The surrounds in the back which are roughly 35 ft & 45 Ft respectively. Basic cable management will allow me to hide the front & center speakers.

With the current layout of the townhouse, I see three options for myself.

1) I can run the cable under the carpet.
2) I can route a small sloth in the backside baseboard / trim and run wire behind it.
3) I can use the adhesive backed, paint over, flat wire.

Even though my system is dated, I am very happy with its performance and with a limited budget, I have a $125 to get this done. I’m the kind of person that once my system is set-up and working, I pretty much leave it alone until It needs to be cleaned, a component has failed, or a move ( Like in this case). So this little dilemma brings up a multiple part question for me.

My first question is; Are they any downfalls / quirks that I should be aware of before using this type of flatware?

Second, are there any other budget minded options I should consider before the adhesive flat wire?

My third question is; With my Infinity Interlude IL30 [Surround] IL50 [ Front] & IL24C
should I use the 14 gauge wire or the 12 gauge wire?​
I am currently using 12 gauge round wire from home depot.

Note: The room size is 16’x 15’ and the speakers will be powered by an older Harman Kardon AVR510 which is factory rated to 70watts X 5 channels. (I plan to upgrade to something with a bit more power, hopefully something at 100w per channel later on once the budget allows). Also, there is no need to consider a 7.1 system in the future due to space restrictions.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your time!

Regards,

-Jason K.​

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis