pieroxy

pieroxy

Enthusiast
Hi everyone. I originally posted this thread in the Audiophile section, but it fits here better.

I am in need of a new 5.1 system for my living room. I was lately reading a review of the computer 5.1 speakerset Logitech Z-5500... All reviews I could find keep on saying that the sound quality is awsome and the power output is beyond reasonable, with extremely low distorsion.

Not being a die hard audiophile, I said to myself: Why not? If this thing is powerful enough and have a more than decent sound quality, why not? At MSRP $300, it is a more than decent save.

What do you guys think? Does it looks like a joke? Can a PC speakerset with a DD/DTS decoder even be compared to a full fledged 5.1 audio setup (AV Amp + 5 spkrs + sub)? Would that stand the comparison to an entry-level system or more? What functionnality will I be missing?

To make it short: What's the catch?

Here are a few reviews, including the one at audioholics:
http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/loudspeakers/LogitechZ-5500Speakers01.php
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1753499,00.asp
http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer/20041130/
http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20041202.gtlogi5500dec2/BNStory/TechReviews/
http://www.laaudiofile.com/z5500.html

M

Mega2000

Audioholic
I had the Logitech z680s(the older version of the 5500) and used it as my home theater for a while. you can't beat $300 for 6 speakers and a DTS decoder.

it did a really good job for the price. they are computer speakers so they are made for the speakers to be set really close to the listener, but if you have a small room and don't care that much then they do a good job. right now I am actually using the satellites that came with the z680s as my rear surrounds and surrounds.

it isn't a receiver, just a little control box that the audio plugs into. no video switching and only one coax, one optical, one 3.5mm stereo and then the 3 (3.5mm) for computer surround inputs (green, orange, pink). it is a good little system and it has a THX sticker on them for whatever that is worth.

basically for a small room and starting with nothing then you can beat the value in my opinion.

one thing to note about the 5500 compared to the 680s. the 5500 has speaker wire fixed to the speakers and w/ the 680s the wire isn't fixed so you can use any wire you want and the speakers even accept banana clips. I would almost look online for the 680 system and save $100 or so.

pieroxy

pieroxy

Enthusiast
Clint DeBoer said:
Thanks Clint. The only thing that I thought was missing from the review is that I don't know if it was reviewed as a PC speakerset, or as an HTiB system. For sure, with all the reviews I've read, it is a mind blowing PC speakerset system. But what about HTiB?

Sure, there is a rating for "Home Theater Performance", 4/5. If it is what I think it is (ie: Overall sound quality when used in a living room along with your DVD player), then having a 4/5 for only $250 makes this HTiB one of the best value on the market today, and I wanted to confirm that with user comments. I am surprised that everyone is trying to say it is *not* a good value, and that I'll have a poor sound quality even when compared with an entry level HTiB system.

I used to have a SONY entry level "el cheapo" HTiB system. Bought it for a temporary stay (3 years) in the states for $500 in 2000. And let me tell you I wasn't very happy with it. Lots of hiss noise, even at low volume, poor subwoofer, and poor sound definition. Don't get me started I could write 100 pages about it. I would *never* have been as positive as you were for the Logitech in a review of this system. So if the Logitech is possibly "much better" than my SONY setup, for only $250, it might be an excellent deal.

Let's shoot a very specific question for you to answer: Is the rating for "Overall Performance" on the logitech (4/5) comparable to the rating "Overall Performance" on the "5.1 Surround Sound Home Theater Speaker Systems Comparison" (3.5 to 4.5/5) review? If it is, the Logitech is an incredible deal at $250 compared to those 4 systems that retails at $800-$1200, and some of them are rated lower !!!

EVERYTHING is rated and ranked on value (we state this up front on every review before the ratings). It is only a 4/5 based on the fact that it costs only ~$299 and includes speakers and a DD/DTS decoder. It should not be compared to systems that cost twice as much.

pieroxy

pieroxy

Enthusiast
Ooops, my bad. :eek: Thanks for taking on your time to answer anyways.

pieroxy

pieroxy

Enthusiast
I'm going to take one last shot at this: Would I be better off with a Logitech 5500 or with, say, a Yamaha YHT150 or a ONKYO HT-S570S, which are in the exact same price range?

Of course, I won't have a very clean and absolutely beautiful sound with a $250 piece of equipment. I just wanted to know how this thing would perform out of a PC context, and the best way to do it would be to compare it to its competitors in that area.

If anyone has an idea, it would be appreciated.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis