Logitech Harmony 520 $29.99

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Thanks. Picked one up for my parents for Christmas.:)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
http://cgi.ebay.com/Logitech-Harmony-520-Advanced-Universal-Remote_W0QQitemZ230313138022QQcategoryZ61323QQcmdZViewItem?afepn=5335869999&campid=5335869999&PID=1225267

This is as cheap as I've seen one of these. Pretty much like the 550 with a different, actually better, button layout.
Nomo, speaking of which, I solved my Yamaha menu dilemna just a few minutes ago. On the Logitec web page that pops up when you plug in the remote, I chose devices (Yamaha of course) , learn IR commands, options and selected raw. The 520 learned the code from the Yamaha remote, updated the remote and bingo, it now works.

I've had this remote since July and I'm just getting to know its capabilities now. I wanted to program a sequence and assign it to a key but it only allows a maximum of 5 steps per sequence which is hardly enough.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I cannot recommend this remote. JMO. The # buttons have set a world record for smallest ever.

The other buttons such as volume, channel, etc, are clicky, which is pretty undesirable IMO.

Backlighting will always occur when using buttons, yet another distraction for viewers in the dark, coupled with clicks.

$20 more can get you a brand new URC RF-20.

Better buttons, backlight is not forced, no clicks, and it has native IR and RF. Best part is that you will save 100 hours of your life as you change and swap components in the future. Just my opinion to throw in the opinion soup.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I cannot recommend this remote. JMO. The # buttons have set a world record for smallest ever.

The other buttons such as volume, channel, etc, are clicky, which is pretty undesirable IMO.

Backlighting will always occur when using buttons, yet another distraction for viewers in the dark, coupled with clicks.

Better buttons, backlight is not forced, no clicks, and it has native IR and RF. Best part is that you will save 100 hours of your life as you change and swap components in the future. Just my opinion to throw in the opinion soup.
Sorry Josten but I have to disagree with you on this one. I don't have the remote buttons memorized and the fact that it back lights automatically is a blessing for me. It saves me from having to find the backlight button. I also have no problems with the # buttons and the click when pressing the buttons provides tactile feedback for me. For $30. you can't do better.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Fair enough. I used to have this remote. I've spent countless hours programming, and reprogramming the thing.

Its a total POS. A couple of buttons had died already after a little over a year. Its flimsy, and the cheap paint or whatever it is will wear off on the buttons.

While it might not be beat for $30, for $20 more you are getting a much better remote. Then add the possibility of hiding your components at any time you wish.

Not even comparable.

I maintain the 520 is a POS.

And you are definitely in the minority for enjoying Blackberry sized buttons to command your HT.

I only got the 520 because it was the cheapest Harmony I could find. The idea of computer based programming was too difficult to ignore for a scared noobie.

I know a lot better now. The URC is waaaaaay easier.

T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
Who has it at this price? I like mine, but need a 2nd one. Tks ..

Edit: I found several sites that have it. Great remote - mine has been bulletproof. I have the older RF-200 ... still the same, though.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Fair enough. I used to have this remote. I've spent countless hours programming, and reprogramming the thing.

Its a total POS. A couple of buttons had died already after a little over a year. Its flimsy, and the cheap paint or whatever it is will wear off on the buttons.

While it might not be beat for $30, for $20 more you are getting a much better remote. Then add the possibility of hiding your components at any time you wish.

Not even comparable.

I maintain the 520 is a POS.

And you are definitely in the minority for enjoying Blackberry sized buttons to command your HT.

I only got the 520 because it was the cheapest Harmony I could find. The idea of computer based programming was too difficult to ignore for a scared noobie.

I know a lot better now. The URC is waaaaaay easier.

Who makes the URC and how is it programmed? I think all LogiTech devices are compute programmed. I thought all programmbale remotes were based on computers as well so I'm kinda curious about this URC. Give me details man!! :D

A

allargon

Audioholic General
Who makes the URC and how is it programmed? I think all LogiTech devices are compute programmed. I thought all programmbale remotes were based on computers as well so I'm kinda curious about this URC. Give me details man!! :D
URC is made by Universal Remote Control. :p I have a URC-R7, and I love it. (I need to figure out how to make it accept my power on/off button from my AVR's remote. But, that's a fairly common problem with all learning remotes.)

Their website is http://www.universalremote.com/

TigerDirect had the 510's on sale a couple of weekends ago for like $50. This 520 deal is pretty good. It's good to know about the backlighting. Josten, Philips and GE make the universal remotes with the smallest buttons by far (and the most effed up layouts).

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
URC is made by Universal Remote Control. :p I have a URC-R7, and I love it. (I need to figure out how to make it accept my power on/off button from my AVR's remote. But, that's a fairly common problem with all learning remotes.)

Their website is http://www.universalremote.com/

TigerDirect had the 510's on sale a couple of weekends ago for like $50. This 520 deal is pretty good. It's good to know about the backlighting. Josten, Philips and GE make the universal remotes with the smallest buttons by far (and the most effed up layouts).
Thanks for the info. I just logged onto their website and checked out the RF20. I like the fact that it is does both RF/IR which I know the LogiTerch doesn't do. Unfortunately for me, there are no Canadian distributors, at least according to their web page. I guess I'm forced to stick with the logitech.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

I never I said I enjoyed the buttons. I said I had no problems with them

A

allargon

Audioholic General
Thanks for the info. I just logged onto their website and checked out the RF20. I like the fact that it is does both RF/IR which I know the LogiTerch doesn't do. Unfortunately for me, there are no Canadian distributors, at least according to their web page. I guess I'm forced to stick with the logitech.
No Canadian distributors? Fry's sells Universal Remote Control products. Moreover, a place that you should be intimately familiar with sells them.

It's called store dot audioholics dot com. They have free shipping, free extended warranty and tech support for life on most products! (Someone listens to too many AVrants!)

http://store.audioholics.com/product/1749/0/universal-remote-control-rf20-lcd-learning-remote

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
No Canadian distributors? Fry's sells Universal Remote Control products. Moreover, a place that you should be intimately familiar with sells them.

It's called store dot audioholics dot com. They have free shipping, free extended warranty and tech support for life on most products! (Someone listens to too many AVrants!)

http://store.audioholics.com/product/1749/0/universal-remote-control-rf20-lcd-learning-remote
Looks like no free shipping to Canada ...or Alaska and Hawaii .. *L*

So for me, the additional $20 for this remote does not exist.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Nomo, speaking of which, I solved my Yamaha menu dilemna just a few minutes ago. On the Logitec web page that pops up when you plug in the remote, I chose devices (Yamaha of course) , learn IR commands, options and selected raw. The 520 learned the code from the Yamaha remote, updated the remote and bingo, it now works.

I've had this remote since July and I'm just getting to know its capabilities now. I wanted to program a sequence and assign it to a key but it only allows a maximum of 5 steps per sequence which is hardly enough.
You can get around the multiple steps by having the harmony learn one of the Yamaha's discreet codes. These are codes that are not normally accessable without going into the options menu within the remote. They take you directly to the command without use of the menu tree.
Somewhere, I have the instructions on the procedure. I'll find the file shortly and post it.

For now...

View attachment RX-V1800_IR_Code_EX10.pdf

View attachment RX-V1800_IR_Code_ST10.pdf

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
What yamaha functions don't work on your remote? I have a RX-V1800 and the Harmony One and it has no problems with any of the receiver commands that I have tried.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
What yamaha functions don't work on your remote? I have a RX-V1800 and the Harmony One and it has no problems with any of the receiver commands that I have tried.
For some reason, the "enter" function did not work on my Harmony520. I could only scroll thru the top level menu functions and when I slected enter on the Harmony remote, nothing happened. I was not able to enter into the selected menu. I was able to remedy the situation by having the Harmony learn the "enter" function from the Yamaha remote.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
You gotta love learning remotes! I'm thining about getting one of these for my bedroom system, but I only have 2 remotes up there that I use regularly, and one of them is the PS3 remote... so I would have to sell that remote and get the blue wave remote just to go with one remote... not sure if it's worth it.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
You gotta love learning remotes! I'm thining about getting one of these for my bedroom system, but I only have 2 remotes up there that I use regularly, and one of them is the PS3 remote... so I would have to sell that remote and get the blue wave remote just to go with one remote... not sure if it's worth it.
Don't get the Harmony 520 if you want to control the PS3. I beleive teh pS3 uses r/f which that Harmony remote does not do.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis