Logan, a Surpise Super Hero Movie

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I will preface this review by saying that I am not a big fan of the wolverine character. I thought both previous attempts at making a solo film were terrible. This is not the fault of Hugh Jackman, the script, plots and pretty much everything about those films were subpar.

If I were use one word to describe this film it would be REDEMPTION. This is probably the one movie, outside of Watchman, that story, and acting are on par with any solid film, not just super hero. I have no problem recommending it to see in a theater. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty of action, but there is just more substance in this film, than pretty much any super hero film to date.

This is not your typical super hero film. Gone are a majority of the "over the top" CGI special effects. Instead is a serious drama about Logan's struggle in dealing with his past, all the violence and pain he has caused, and feeling of self worth. How much killing is too much, we watch Logan deal with the pain every time he has to be violent, he has reached his limit. At that point he has to push himself one more time to kill to make this right and help him find peace. Hugh Jackman surprised me, his portrayal in this film is on another level, especially in the way he displays how much pain, both emotional and physical he has to deal with and the internal turmoil forcing him to do it again.

An added surprise is that the female lead, Dafne Keen does quite well with limited dialogue and has to rely on facial expressions and her eyes to showcase her emotional states for her character X23, and in that, she does an incredible job. My initial thoughts is that it would be cheesy to see such a little girl do such intense fight scenes on film (granted I am sure they used stuntmen) but it came across as some of the best fight scenes of the movie.

(Professor X) This was hard for me to watch, I mean that in a good way. He was the leader of the X-men and Patrick Stewart has been in some of my favorite films and TV. To see his character so frail and having to deal with real issues of someone his age (Dementia. etc) causing him to be unable to control his abilities due to it, was also very compelling.

I had low expectations on this film and had to be talked into seeing it. I came away surprised on how complex and meaty the content of the script was. I almost don't want to call it a super hero film as the connotation associated with that title does not do it justice. It is a drama, first and foremost set in the backdrop of a x-men movie.

On a less serious note, YOU MUST NOT BE LATE to watch this movie. Unlike pretty much all super hero movies of the past, where you have to watch the ending credits to see next movice scene spoiler, Fox has opted to move that to the beginning of the movie instead. There is an opening credit, as opposed to the ending credit for DEADPOOL. It is good ;)

Fantastic Movie

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I've only seen trailers for this, but every time I do I want to walk out of my house immediately and go see it. It looks superb.

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
I saw it this weekend. I really don't like the X-Men series, but heard great things about this film. And it was well worth it. Film is the right word for it, which sounds weird when talking about a super hero movie.

Really is a different take on the genre.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Planning on watching Logan and John Wick 2 this weekend. Hopefully. :D

And I hope more and more Comic Book movies are going into this direction of being more "Drama" pieces.

I consider Watchmen, Dark Knight, and Doctor Strange to be atypical comic book movies.

I like some fun action, but I am 100% for more intelligence in this genre to break that stereotype.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I watched Logan and John Wick 2 this past weekend. Logan was good, more like the actual character IMO. I felt it was a pretty good way to pull it all together. It was quite heavy, even though I knew where it was going, so it is bittersweet to see a film this good have to deal with all of that. I don't entirely need my "superhero" films to be dramas, but I'd rather have this than having them be dumb action flicks. The thing is, the Wolverine stories that were some of the best were also heartbreaking and I appreciate that they didn't dumb it down for this one. Good film though I think it may be a while before I watch it again.

So this is what it feels like.

John Wick 2 was also good, just not as good as the first one. It was again surprising like the first one and the setup for 3 is pretty intriguing :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Question: If Logan's abilities to heal and blades were product of "modifications" and complex surgeries, not from birth like pretty rest of mutants, then how come Laura has same abilities? Last time I check this is not how DNA works.

Regardless, I agree, this is not your typical X-Men movie and I'd join the line recommending to watch it. Maybe owning it is too much, but watching it least one is something I do recommend.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Logan was a modification. Presumably his DNA was used to produce her as well since he was able to survive the modification originally. So not his daughter in a traditional sense; aka clone.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Question: If Logan's abilities to heal and blades were product of "modifications" and complex surgeries, not from birth like pretty rest of mutants, then how come Laura has same abilities? Last time I check this is not how DNA works.

Regardless, I agree, this is not your typical X-Men movie and I'd join the line recommending to watch it. Maybe owning it is too much, but watching it least one is something I do recommend.
His healing factor, feral senses and physical abilities are his mutation. The Weapon X program gave him the adamantium skeleton and tried to brainwash him to do their will and that's about it.

They chose him because his mutant ability to heal allowed him to survive the process. The adamantium has been slowly poisoning him for decades and his healing factor has significantly weakened as a result. That's why he kept saying he knew what was wrong. He just can't do anything about it. It has always dampened his healing factor. That's why Deadpool is known to have a better healing factor than Logan.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, but the metal blades she has?

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, but the metal bladed she has?
Weapon X. They cloned wolverine but were missing the Y chromosome (or something, because comics) so they could only do a female clone. The claws are originally bone claws and part of Logan's (and her) mutation. Claws were coated in adamantium along with the rest of their skeletons by the nice folks in the Weapon X program. They wanted to control her too.

The spurs on her feet are explained as inherent to the female version of the "species".

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Weapon X. They cloned wolverine but were missing the Y chromosome (or something, because comics) so they could only do a female clone. The claws are originally bone claws and part of Logan's (and her) mutation. Claws were coated in adamantium along with the rest of their skeletons by the nice folks in the Weapon X program. They wanted to control her too.
Some of it (Logan's bones mutation) does come to mind from previous movies, but changes done to her weren't explained in the movie afaik. Maybe only in comics? Ok, I think I went too nerdy now...

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
If you a comics nerd like me, back in the early 2000s Magneto ripped the adamantium from his bones and for a while he went back to using bone claws. They explain the girl was a clone of Wolverine, it is very possible they did the same process to her, but it is not explained, I don't actually remember.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you a comics nerd like me, back in the early 2000s Magneto ripped the adamantium from his bones and for a while he went back to using bone claws. They explain the girl was a clone of Wolverine, it is very possible they did the same process to her, but it is not explained, I don't actually remember.
I'm familiar with the Magneto story arc. Near killed him. I believe that was part of the regular continuity? He eventually got the adamantium back.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis