Lockheed Martin’s Multiple Kill Vehicle!!!

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
WTF!?

Site said:
The Lockheed Martin's Multiple Kill Vehicle will be the first anti-ballistic missile system designed to search and destroy multiple warheads and countermeasures using a single launcher. First, the MKV-L will fly to encounter the cloud of multiple warheads and decoys being deployed by the enemy missile. Then, instead of exploding, the MKV will maneuver through the threats launching several kill vehicles, each targeted at the different objects on the air, both real dangers and dummies set to deceive missile defenses.

During the test at the Edwards Air Force Base in California, the full-scale prototype MKV flew for 30 seconds, maneuvering while tracking a target at an altitude of 23 feet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf0NN0XAcJk

:eek::eek::eek:

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/data/assets/ssc/_MKV0717.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost looks like Unreal Engine game footage. That looks like its not actually firing anything, just firing thrusters of some source. Otherwise there'd be more than netting between the camera and the device.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Saw it on FNC last week, looks insane, the only problem will be if the funding is going to be there:eek:

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
its either a spoof or a video game. Its too noisey and too easy to shoot down, plus it can't carry any serious armorment. I am pretty familiar with Lockheed Martin military equipment as I've been in the defense industry and this doesn't seem like something they would do. Besides, for missle defense, do you really want to rely on something at 23ft off the ground to destroy a missle before it hits the ground?

Update:
hmm I guess I stand corrected, seems strange to me though:

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/products/MKV/index.html

Matt34

Matt34

I got to see and hear the "goalkeeper" a few times when I was in Baghdad on Victory Base Complex.

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
its either a spoof or a video game. Its too noisey and too easy to shoot down, plus it can't carry any serious armorment. I am pretty familiar with Lockheed Martin military equipment as I've been in the defense industry and this doesn't seem like something they would do. Besides, for missle defense, do you really want to rely on something at 23ft off the ground to destroy a missle before it hits the ground?

Update:
hmm I guess I stand corrected, seems strange to me though:

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/products/MKV/index.html
lol. I'm glad you edited your post. ;)

CaliHwyPatrol

CaliHwyPatrol

Audioholic Chief
I got to see and hear the "goalkeeper" a few times when I was in Baghdad on Victory Base Complex.
CWIS!!! Those things are awesome!

This MKV think looks pretty cool too. That's crazy how it can stay that stable. This could also lead the way to short range vehicles propelled in the same manner.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I saw that a few days ago. Very cool. It remains amazingly stable, IMO, and appears to be doing a good job of tracking the simulated target. That stuff isn't easy, that's for sure.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Were they tests, or was the system actually intercepting an incoming round? I heard that the Phalanx was part of a system that also included a killer UAV that would attempt to take out the source of the mortar rounds. I thought that was pretty cool.

"Darn, my mortar never got there. Hmmm. What's that coming my way? Ought-ohhhh...."

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
do you really want to rely on something at 23ft off the ground to destroy a missle before it hits the ground?
Is it safe to say that this is designed to be launched by some type of delivery system to near-space elevation before it does it's thing.

Matt34

Matt34

Were they tests, or was the system actually intercepting an incoming round? I heard that the Phalanx was part of a system that also included a killer UAV that would attempt to take out the source of the mortar rounds. I thought that was pretty cool.

"Darn, my mortar never got there. Hmmm. What's that coming my way? Ought-ohhhh...."
It was the real deal.;)

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
well, hate to be negative but
Just wonder about the complexity of this :rolleyes: it's a bit different launching this into a real life situation with targets traveling at.... what? 10.000 mph, a bit of a technology leap from a test at 23ft, I guess...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
well, hate to be negative but
Just wonder about the complexity of this :rolleyes: it's a bit different launching this into a real life situation with targets traveling at.... what? 10.000 mph, a bit of a technology leap from a test at 23ft, I guess...
Oh, definitely. However, the test demonstrated the divert and attitude control system, as well as the sensor and tracking algorithms. "Simply" hovering is harder than it looks, I imagine.

That kind of stuff is just cool to me. As are all the countermeasures that people use to beat that stuff. Some people somewhere are earning their money. Well, I guess somewhere is Lockheed. :)

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Oh, definitely. However, the test demonstrated the divert and attitude control system, as well as the sensor and tracking algorithms. "Simply" hovering is harder than it looks, I imagine.

That kind of stuff is just cool to me. As are all the countermeasures that people use to beat that stuff. Some people somewhere are earning their money. Well, I guess somewhere is Lockheed. :)
hovering is harder than it looks, I imagine....
Yes just ask Neil Armstrong... I remember the movie "the right stuff"....
no hold on.... is it the series.... "From the earth to the moon" wondering a bit now....

This is anyways about where he was trying to learn how to navigate the lunar lander and getting ready to landing this thing on the surface of the moon, don't know how many times he crashed this thing blowing up everything in big flames.... Then there were no computers to aid in the control of this vehicle, and to control such a thing by adjusting the rocket boosters..... very very hard....

b.t.w. that movies are amongst the best ever....

Now, Lockheed Martin can just ask Neil about how this works and they can program the computers easily to handle this, I believe.....

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I watch that video the other day. Then we looked at this thing. It's carrying 340lbs and does so quite well, even on Ice, or being kicked.

SheepStar

Matt34

Matt34

I watch that video the other day. Then we looked at this thing. It's carrying 340lbs and does so quite well, even on Ice, or being kicked.

SheepStar
I saw that on the Discovery channel, pretty cool.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi

SheepStar
Yeah, it acts so alive, I actually feel mad when they kick it. I'm thinking, "you bastards, leave it alone." I know it's a machine, but I can't help thinking that...

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, it acts so alive, I actually feel mad when they kick it. I'm thinking, "you bastards, leave it alone." I know it's a machine, but I can't help thinking that...
Imagine if it kicked back. Probably as strong as a horse.

SheepStar

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis