Liz Phair - Somebody's Miracle

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

After Phair's disastrous self titled 2003 album, I was a little leery of buying Somebody's Miracle. Having given it a chance, I just have to say- Liz, please ****ing stop making records. As much as it pains me to say it, I wish she'd just hang it up. You know those songs that are so bad they make your teeth hurt and your stomach churn? I wish those songs were on this album.

What the hell happened? How could this be the same Liz Phair that wrote "**** and Run", "Flower", and "Girls Room"? Fourteen songs of trite, banal pop crap that could as easily have been Sheryl Crow or Alison Keys. Cripes, most of them sound like soundtrack songs from some WB teen melodrama. There's literally not a single great song on Somebody's Miracle, which is sad considering her last smouldering bomb had at least a couple listenable tracks.

Somebody's Miracle seems to me the work of a very burned out woman, with the autopilot set to "bore." :( All I can say is thank God her first few albums were works of pure genius- because it doesn't look like we're gonna get any more.

Last edited:
A

Aliixer

Audioholic
lizy

So which songs are good in your opinion........?????

I like **** and run.....

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Well, I think Exile in Guyville is a masterwork of pure genius. And Whitechocolatespaceegg is damned near as good. Most of Whip Smart is superb, although the album is very poor sonically. But her self titled album of 2003 was a train wreck...if pressed, I'd say "It's Sweet" was a pretty good song, and "Rock Me" doesn't make me wanna hurl, but overall it's a trite peice of pop crap. I honestly thought she couldn't do any worse until I heard Somebody's Miracle. :mad:

I hate to come down so hard on her new stuff, but it's sad to see one of the best singer/songwriters of a generation fall so far. I want the "old" Liz back. :(

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis