Little help? Receiver screeches, then quits

TappingCure

TappingCure

Audiophyte
A few months ago, I bought a vintage H H Scott 380r receiver and connected it to a pair of bookshelf speakers (Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance). At first, it sounded great, although I need to find a better aerial for it. The pots had been cleaned and lubed, the whole unit seemed very clean and in good condition. The stronger local stations came in very well and I was happy with it. Later on, a screeching noise appeared and it has gotten louder and more prevalent. My favorite radio stations sound good for a minute or so, then fade out. Lights on, nobody home! Moving the tuning knob brings on the screech. But it doesn't seem to be a mechanical screech--more like an electronic screech, if you know what I mean. Can anyone help me? I am not savvy with electronics. I just love music and the gorgeous sound from this hulking great receiver. Is this fixable? A couple of weeks ago, I emailed a guy in Watertown, Massachusetts who repairs vintage audio, but I never heard back from him. I doubt this is something I can tackle myself. Anyone know someone who can? Thanks in advance for any helpful replies... :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Try the vintage guy again, though I'd probably call him. It sounds like it can be fixed. Something in the amp section possibly.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
A few months ago, I bought a vintage H H Scott 380r receiver and connected it to a pair of bookshelf speakers (Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance). At first, it sounded great, although I need to find a better aerial for it. The pots had been cleaned and lubed, the whole unit seemed very clean and in good condition. The stronger local stations came in very well and I was happy with it. Later on, a screeching noise appeared and it has gotten louder and more prevalent. My favorite radio stations sound good for a minute or so, then fade out. Lights on, nobody home! Moving the tuning knob brings on the screech. But it doesn't seem to be a mechanical screech--more like an electronic screech, if you know what I mean. Can anyone help me? I am not savvy with electronics. I just love music and the gorgeous sound from this hulking great receiver. Is this fixable? A couple of weeks ago, I emailed a guy in Watertown, Massachusetts who repairs vintage audio, but I never heard back from him. I doubt this is something I can tackle myself. Anyone know someone who can? Thanks in advance for any helpful replies... :)
Does this just happen listening to FM? Or does it screech on the other inputs?

I have downloaded the service manual. I would place that unit late seventies may be very early 80s. The tuner sections is MOSFETS, polar transistors and ICs. It is modern enough the FM section uses a phase locked loop design.

The pre amp and power amp is all discrete transistor.

Whether this is repairable will depend on which device has failed. If it is an IC then almost certainly there will not be a replacement part.

TappingCure

TappingCure

Audiophyte
Thanks to j_garcia for suggesting I try the repair guy again. He fixed up the Scott 380R receiver nicely; it was pretty clean to begin with, but solder joints needed reinforcing, relays etc. He wasn't cheap but I have a lot of confidence that he knew his stuff, as a former HH Scott employee. Now the receiver is pulling in stations and sounding great.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis