listening fatigue, need external amp?

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
Hello Audioholics,

I've just done a revamp of my home theater system and am having a problem I've never had before. When i'm watching movies I get some pretty bad listening fatigue. I know my new tower speakers are pretty power hungry and I upgraded my AVR, but I get the feeling it's not enough. It sounds fine to me, besides the fatigue. I usually only have the volume around -30 on my reciever, so it's not like I'm blasting it at full volume. my current setup is...

AVR: Denon avr-3312 ci
Fronts: Polk Rti a7
Center: Polk Csi a6
Rears: Polk Rti a1

Any ideas?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Hello Audioholics,

I've just done a revamp of my home theater system and am having a problem I've never had before. When i'm watching movies I get some pretty bad listening fatigue. I know my new tower speakers are pretty power hungry and I upgraded my AVR, but I get the feeling it's not enough. It sounds fine to me, besides the fatigue. I usually only have the volume around -30 on my reciever, so it's not like I'm blasting it at full volume. my current setup is...

AVR: Denon avr-3312 ci
Fronts: Polk Rti a7
Center: Polk Csi a6
Rears: Polk Rti a1

Any ideas?
Yes, sell polks and get some good speakers.
In the meanwhile - re-run Audyssey auto config

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
I had polks that were cheaper than this before and I liked the sound of them. Never had any listening fatigue issues with Polk previously.

P

pureiso

Junior Audioholic
What kind of fatigue are you having? Is it too harsh or bright?

What is your room setup? A lot of hard surfaces?

Likely causes: Room is too live or you just do not like the new speakers.

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
I'd say it's too bright. There's a concrete wall behind the speakers that they're about 2.5 feet in front of and another one opposite it. The room is long about 26 feet long by 13 feet wide. Lots of glass with some light curtains on one of the other walls as well.

P

pureiso

Junior Audioholic
I'd say it's too bright. There's a concrete wall behind the speakers that they're about 2.5 feet in front of and another one opposite it. The room is long about 26 feet long by 13 feet wide. Lots of glass with some light curtains on one of the other walls as well.
What about the floor?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Seems so far like you may need some room treatments.

Rerunning Audyssey is a good idea, definitely give that a try if you haven't.

Polks usually don't have a reputation for sounding bright and harsh, which means your room is probably playing a big role in your discomfort.

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
So in your opinion at this point in time try some room treatment instead of the amp? What would be a good website for info on how to do room treatments properly?

P

pureiso

Junior Audioholic
Seems so far like you may need some room treatments.

Rerunning Audyssey is a good idea, definitely give that a try if you haven't.

Polks usually don't have a reputation for sounding bright and harsh, which means your room is probably playing a big role in your discomfort.
Absolutely was my first thought.

Run calibration, maybe try moving the speakers out to 3' from all walls, and invest in acoustic treatments. At minimum, buy some more curtains.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
well I mean aesthetics play a huge part in how you want to treat your room.

You could hang some big heavy curtains, you could do sound absorbing panels, there are a ton of different options for you, but if you're not going to like big crap hanging from your walls then your kind of SOL.

So I guess my question is how do you feel about hanging things from your walls?

Whatever room treatments you do will be big and very visible and you haven't mentioned if this is a living room or a dedicated room either, which may influence how you want to integrate this stuff.

Also to consider, theres a chance that you may treat the room and not notice that much of a difference. I would strongly suggest you keep any room treatment costs as low as possible until you are absolutely sure its making enough of a difference for it to be worth it to shell out real money.

In other words, get cheap ugly stuff first that you can return and if it works, return them and get things that are more suited to your tastes look wise.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Actually, most of the recent generations are. I felt all of the R and RTis were bright. The RTiA line is more neutral, but still not what I would call mellow. I'd guess the speakers are at least partly to blame.

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I have been reading that as well. I haven't had a chance to listen to most of the RTi line, I have the A6 and it isn't bright at all, at least to my ears. I just always remember reading (apparently before the Rti line) that polks were "mellow" and "warm"

It would appear I'm a bit off, and I guess my A6 made me assume that the rest of the line shouldn't be bright.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
So in your opinion at this point in time try some room treatment instead of the amp? What would be a good website for info on how to do room treatments properly?
A amp will not mellow out the speakers - a lot of it is in the
voicing. Some treatment can help. However for the most part,
your ears hear what a lot of us hear. It may come down to the
reality, that these speakers may not be for you.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have been reading that as well. I haven't had a chance to listen to most of the RTi line, I have the A6 and it isn't bright at all, at least to my ears. I just always remember reading (apparently before the Rti line) that polks were "mellow" and "warm"

It would appear I'm a bit off, and I guess my A6 made me assume that the rest of the line shouldn't be bright.
RTi and RTiA have definite differences :)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well I'd research further, but I'm in the process of changing my speakers and the polks aren't in the mix anymore so forget that :)

I'm more than willing to take your word for it and sit here twiddling my thumbs waiting for my new speakers to arrive to banish any thoughts about polk ever again :D

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
This is the Polk RTi A1
First one Stereophile, second one is HT labs.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis