Listen to radio while watching TV without bypassing the receiver?

L

LiveJazz

Junior Audioholic
Is it possible to listen to the radio or any other non-visual source while also watching TV through the receiver, ie without connecting the cable directly to the TV to bypass the receiver? My basic understanding is that this is not possible, but just want to confirm.

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
Most mid level receivers can do this, every one have some limitation. Last gen receivers only do this for analog sources but current gen are starting to allow digital audio and video sources to be mixed.

Is there a specific receiver you're looking at?

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I own a Yamaha that allows me to select a video source, and then an audio only source, and it will keep the video switched to the video source and only switch the audio. It is an older model, but I think it might still be the case with newer models. You might want to look at the manual for whatever receiver you have, or download the manual if you are in the still looking stage.

L

LiveJazz

Junior Audioholic
I have a Pioneer VSX-823...lower mid-level I guess.

I'm also a little confused on its passthrough capabilities. If it's on standby, and both the TV and cable box are on, it doesn't let he signal through to the TV. Not a huge deal...but I thought that what passthrough is.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
I have a Pioneer VSX-823...lower mid-level I guess.

I'm also a little confused on its passthrough capabilities. If it's on standby, and both the TV and cable box are on, it doesn't let he signal through to the TV. Not a huge deal...but I thought that what passthrough is.
I have not looked art your manual on line as of yet, but if you say it has pass through option , then yes the signal should make it to the tv panel even when the recvr is in standby mode, maybe it will depend as to which input you are using.The definition of pass through is as exactly what you were thinking.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
The pass through will only work when you assign one of the hdmi ports as the standby through mode so you must find standby through setting and select which port you want signal to go through when receiver is in standby mode. Page 56 in the owners manual.

L

LiveJazz

Junior Audioholic
The pass through will only work when you assign one of the hdmi ports as the standby through mode so you must find standby through setting and select which port you want signal to go through when receiver is in standby mode. Page 56 in the owners manual.
Thanks...I was scanning the manual for the keyword "passthrough" with no luck. Hard to find answers when you don't know the directly from which approach the problem in the first place!

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis