linear bistream vs bitstream

J

jordan21

Junior Audioholic
i have a ps3 connected via hdmi to my receiver and then my receiver to my plasma tv

my receiver is the pioneer 9120....it is hdmi 1.3

now what is a better audio option

bistream...which produces dd dts etc

or linear pcm....which produces pcm audio

thanks guys

A

asahikasei

Banned
You need bit stream to support DTS master HD or have they fixed that yet? For your hi def lossless audio there is no difference between LPCM and bitstream.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
i have a ps3 connected via hdmi to my receiver and then my receiver to my plasma tv

my receiver is the pioneer 9120....it is hdmi 1.3

now what is a better audio option

bistream...which produces dd dts etc

or linear pcm....which produces pcm audio

thanks guys
The PS3 cannot pass any of the HD Audio Formats (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA) as bitstream. In order to enjoy Dolby TrueHD or Uncompressed PCM tracks, you'll need to set it to Linear PCM. If you select bitstream you'll get the lossy DD and DTS core tracks.

THe PS3 won't currently pass DTS-HD as bitstream or PCM, so that's a moot point. If a movie (usually FOX) is in DTS-HD MA only, you will only get the Core DTS track using the PS3. However, only a few movies I can think of have only this option.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Bitstream is quite literally a stream of bits one after another. PCM is transported as a bitstream too.

In the context of settings on the player, setting it to bitstream tells the player not to touch the data it reads off the disc, just send it on and the receiver will decode it. The PCM (or LPCM - same thing) setting tells the player to decode and downmix DD/DTS and send the resulting 2 channel PCM to the receiver.

Either setting will work if you are playing a CD or other source that is already 2 channel PCM.

I don't think the PS3 can pass any of the new HD formats as bitstream so LPCM is probably the best setting to use.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis