LG Tv problem with LG 5.1 surround sound

G

gridlock

Audiophyte
Another idea

When I have a chance I am going to change my connections.

Right now I have my FIOS DVR STB HDMI out (one) linked to my TV. And my Blue Ray surround system linked with HDMI out (two) linked with my TV.

The Disc player plays 5.1 surround no problem.
But my TV Broadcast is like the symptoms described at the beginning of this thread.

BUT I am using an optical audio cable out from my TV to the Surround Receiver.
I think this may be wrong.
I am going to change the optical audio cable to connect FROM my FIOS DVR STB TO the Surround Receiver.

Any comments???

G

gridlock

Audiophyte
That was the solution

I connected the FIOS DVR STB optical audio output to the Blue Ray Receiver optical audio imput. Then reconfigured the surround sound set up. Then select
function=Optical on the Receiver remote. I have HDMI (one) from the DVR STB to TV for TV broadcasts and HDMI (two) from Blue Ray to TV for DVDs/Blue Ray discs. So I can select based on what I want to see.

This was NOT how the connection diagram looked when I first set up my LG Blue Ray. It showed the optical audio output coming from the TV to the Receiver. This set up did not work. I have been told that the Optical Audio output from the TV connects to the sound bar. I did not have a sound bar with my Home Theater system.

Now I have 5.1 surround on TV Broadcasts and when I play a disc.
I hope this will help you too.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi, gridlock, and welcome to the forum! I'm glad that you got it working.

Do you have an LG TV? If so, you may be able to get the TV to pass 5.1 sound from an HDMI input through the optical output by reading the directions in this thread. The issue that you experienced when connecting the optical output from the TV to your receiver and only getting stereo is that almost all TVs with convert HDMI inputs to stereo when using the optical audio output.

G

gridlock

Audiophyte
Thanks for that info. Another problem though

I am experiencing audio video sync problems. I have tried to advance or delay the audio in the Audio set up menu of my TV. But the results vary. But I can't get it synced just right. The TV Speakers match the the video. But I can't get it to sync when using my external speaker surround system. Is it a problem with how I am routing my connections as described in earlier post? Thanks for your help.

G

gridlock

Audiophyte
An update

Just in case this helps anyone in the future. I did get the video-audio to sync.
First I had the TV speaker only to match the lip movement. It matched up nicely with the TV's audio delay/advance at "0". Then I added the external surround sound speakers. The audio was lagging way behind, so I began to advance it until the sound matched with no echo at all. I had to advance the audio up to +12 out of a possible +15 range. It was fine then.
Then I checked the Blue Ray receiver. I put in a disc that I knew was 5.1 surround and went to the Receiver's video-audio sync adjustment. Then I had to advance the audio just a little to match the lip movements.
So, the point being if you have (2) HDMI's feeding the TV. You need to adjust the audio sync separately. Now, as other posters have said on other threads,
rarely I will get a broadcast that does not sync according to my adjustments. But the problem can go away as fast as it develops. So, I suppose there are certain hidden factors depending on the broadcast. But I am getting Bob Costas and the Olympics in full 5.1. So my nightmare appears to be over.

B

besip

Audiophyte
LG Led 42LS3400 sound advice

Hi i'm new here a because i am not able yet post my new treath i will reply here

i just buy new Lg for 2012 on amazon

LG 42LS3400 42-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Direct LED TV with Freeview (New for 2012)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
my question is
it's i be able some way connect and use 5,1 system
i'm not technical type but i beleive that my new Tv don't have optical input and somebody tell me that this not be possible without the input
but is there maybe some way to made the conection over blue-ray?? or something else??

also with my type of Tv is the recomendation for something chea p on marketwhat can improve the sound from TV????
thx:cool:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis