lg black screen flicker

K

karkalec

Audiophyte
Hi! I have an LG LCD TV which I've had about 3 months. Pretty much since the beginning it has had a problem where about 3 times a week when I turn it on the picture flashes on and off with the picture and the black screen that says "no signal". At first I thought it was the cable and had Time Warner come out and tell me there was nothing wrong with it. I found that I could cure it by simply unplugging the HDMI cable in the back and plugging it back in. Is it likely that there are just loose wires on the port?

Thanks,

Justin

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi! I have an LG LCD TV which I've had about 3 months. Pretty much since the beginning it has had a problem where about 3 times a week when I turn it on the picture flashes on and off with the picture and the black screen that says "no signal". At first I thought it was the cable and had Time Warner come out and tell me there was nothing wrong with it. I found that I could cure it by simply unplugging the HDMI cable in the back and plugging it back in. Is it likely that there are just loose wires on the port?

Thanks,

Justin
Have you tried that same port with another HDMI device? If not do so. If you have the problem on multiple sources, then your port is likely damaged. Mechanically and in lots of other ways HDMI is a real mess. The ports are frail and easily damaged and should be handled the minimum possible.

The more likely reason for your problem is that your cable box is not fully HDCP compliant. Cable boxes and satellite boxes are notorious for being out of compliance, especially Time Warner's. These companies never spend the funds to have their products tested for compliance.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan

Thanks,

Justin
In addition to what TLS has said, there are things that are worth taking note of.

When you have this issue, was it the TV or the cable box that was turned on FIRST?

For instance, if TV is on, it may look for the handshake at the beginning only, and so when the stb is turned on a while later, it's not looking for it anymore? I dunno.

If the cable box is going thru a receiver first, then that's another thing to have to pass HDCP along (where cheapo TW boxes are probably missing repeater architecture anyhow). Regardless, I always recommend running that directly to TV anyhow.

Lastly, try component connections instead. Usually, the performance will be identical (hey there's no TV signal/broadcast that is 1080p), but in a few cases it is worse, and yet in a few cases it is better. Try, compare, if favorable, use component.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis