LG BD550 Low Volume Problem

H

henkster

Audiophyte
Hello I recently purchased a new tv and blu ray player. The Blu Ray player is a LG BD550, and the TV is a LG 42LV3700. I connect my Cable Box and Blu Ray Player with an HDMI cord directly to the TV. I don't have a surround sound system, and I don't plan on getting one (Unless completely necessary).

The Cable Box and DVD's in the Blu Ray Player work great, the sound is clear and I only have to have my TV volume set to 45 or so. When I put a Blu Ray disc in, I have to push the volume of the TV all the way up to 100 and I STILL have a difficult time picking up some audio and I end up having to turn subtitles on. I've played with a few different settings on the Blu Ray Player and the TV and I can't seem to get any difference. If someone knows how to fix this I would be greatly appreciative! Thank you!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

My guess is that your TV is having difficulty with the newer lossless audio codecs on most blu-ray discs (e.g. DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD). Try the following:
  • Set the audio output from the blu-ray player to "PCM Mult-Ch" and see if it solves your issue (see page 27 of the LG owner's manual).
  • If not, set the audio output from the blu-ray player to "PCM Stereo" and see if it solves your issue.
  • Also, with either those audio settings are what you have now, select the Dolby Digital soundtrack on the blu-ray disc (I believe that most discs have that option, in addition to the higher quality audio tracks).
If you let us know the model of your TV, we can look into that, too.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I didn't see anything much to add based on the TV's manual. It doesn't support DTS, which might help you in the future - but you wouldn't get any usable audio in that case.

Please let me know if you get it working.

V

Vicki Hill

Audiophyte
LG BD610 and Samsung Smart TV. Any other suggestions? I've checked everything I know how from first post by Adam.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis