level setting for surround

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
is anyone setting levels like this in their home or setting all speakers to the same db level?

why or why not?
It doesn't matter... as either are simply starting points. If you're serious, you will experiment, tweak your settings and decide what you like best in your room with your system in your chair(s).

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

why or why not?
Because requirements for a movie theater are not the same as those for a home theater. Typically in HT it’s recommended that all speakers be set for the same level, although some like a slight boost in the center channel for added intelligibility.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I've always read that one needs to level match all speakers. So, the test tones should produce the same SPL (75dB for a tone level of -30dBR).

B

big O

Junior Audioholic
It doesn't matter... as either are simply starting points. If you're serious, you will experiment, tweak your settings and decide what you like best in your room with your system in your chair(s).
true words. i have been experimenting and i definitely like the 82 dbs for the surrounds. it creates for a more ambient experience.

B

big O

Junior Audioholic

Because requirements for a movie theater are not the same as those for a home theater. Typically in HT it’s recommended that all speakers be set for the same level, although some like a slight boost in the center channel for added intelligibility.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
true. movie theaters dont cross over everything below 80hz to a sub like most home theaters unfortunately do. they also have an array of surround speakers, not just one. they have better speakers usually. what else am i missing?

just from reading on this. it seems the 82 db level for surrounds(vs 85 dbs for mains)is pretty standard for mixing and movie houses. i wouldnt want to boost the surrounds by 3dbs as that would likely make it too distracting. matter of fact, there is evidence that many movie houses turn down the surrounds even lower than the nominal reference level.

btw, great work and posts on the hometheatershack forum.

B

big O

Junior Audioholic
I've always read that one needs to level match all speakers. So, the test tones should produce the same SPL (75dB for a tone level of -30dBR).
ive seen that too but so far my ears are liking the surrounds a bit lower. i tend to find too much info coming from them distracting

Last edited:
agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
ive seen that too but so far my ears are liking the surrounds a bit lower. i tend to find too much info coming from them distracting
I believe that is a symptom of the recording engineer getting overzealous with the surround mix. The Eagles Hell Freezes Over DTS mix comes to mind.

Saving Private Ryan was very well done.

I've been 2.1 for 5 years, so I can't think of any recent movies with good use of surround channels. Others can chime in with good surround sound demo material.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
ive seen these suggested levels in two publications now

• 85 dBC SPL for each screen speaker • 82 dBC SPL for each surround array • Approximately 91 dBC for the subwoofer*

this is the smpte recommendation
https://www.smpte.org/sites/default/files/2013-03-12-Standards-Cinema_Audio-Vessa-v2.pdf

is anyone setting levels like this in their home or setting all speakers to the same db level?

why or why not?
The distance between one or several central listening positions in a home theater and all the speakers must be measured manually or determined by automatic software. They may be similar for the front three channels, but they are rarely the same for the various rear channels. It all depends on your room and your furniture arrangement. Once the receiver knows these distances, it adjusts things so sound from all speakers arrive at the central listening position simultaneously regardless of the distances. Often new HT owners ignore this, and that's a major reason why the automatic systems were developed.

Similarly, volume levels are adjusted so all channels are the same volume – as a start. From that people are free to adjust various channels as they wish. I often see people new to HT have their surround speakers and subwoofer boosted too loud. With time, they usually readjust so these speakers blend in better.

Unless your room at home is identical to movie theaters in length, width, height, and seating-to-front speaker distances, you should ignore what others use for settings. That's why all AVRs or prepros come with manual or automatic systems.

If you adjust things manually with a SPL meter, it doesn't really matter what dB level you choose to adjust to, as long as they are the same. In my home, I found 75 dB works well enough so that noise from the refrigerator in the kitchen or the AC ventilation don't interfere with the meter while I'm doing the adjustments.

B

big O

Junior Audioholic
I believe that is a symptom of the recording engineer getting overzealous with the surround mix. The Eagles Hell Freezes Over DTS mix comes to mind.

Saving Private Ryan was very well done.

I've been 2.1 for 5 years, so I can't think of any recent movies with good use of surround channels. Others can chime in with good surround sound demo material.

i do believe youre right about some overzealous mixes

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis