Legacy Audio Calibre Bookshelf Speaker Demo Report

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
We had an opportunity to take a tour of Destination Hi Fi, one of Legacy Audio’s local dealers in Hollywood, CA. and demo the Legacy Audio Caliber bookshelf speakers. If you have a space constraint, this product gives you the performance and drivers of a Legacy tower folded into a bookshelf cabinet. With 4” AMT tweeter, 7.5” mid-woofer, 8” bass driver, and dual 8” mass loaded opposing pneumatic radiators good things can come in small packages.

Read on to see how these "little guys" perform in a BIG way.

Read: Legacy Audio Calibre Bookshelf Speaker Demo Report

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
They look fantastic, I wish I had the money to get a pair.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
I recently heard the Calibre at the Lone Star Audio Fest in Dallas, powered by a Raven Audio Reflection MKII tube integrated amplifier. It's amazing to hear and feel the bass they get out of these relatively small speakers. The vocals and highs are great as well.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I recently heard the Calibre at the Lone Star Audio Fest in Dallas, powered by a Raven Audio Reflection MKII tube integrated amplifier. It's amazing to hear and feel the bass they get out of these relatively small speakers. The vocals and highs are great as well.
How was the audio fest?

This seems to be a fairly small fest, right? So, not too crowded and plenty of time to listen and schmooze?

I see that you are in E TX. You know that Raven Audio is in Trinity, TX, right? Probably about the only thing worth mentioning about Trinity, TX :eek:

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
How was the audio fest?

This seems to be a fairly small fest, right? So, not too crowded and plenty of time to listen and schmooze?

I see that you are in E TX. You know that Raven Audio is in Trinity, TX, right? Probably about the only thing worth mentioning about Trinity, TX :eek:
Yes, LSAF is very laid back and informal, and it's just the nicest bunch of people you'll ever meet. Lots of time to really sit down and listen to the various setups.

Yes, I know Raven is based in East TX. Dave now has a great show room in Onalaska with all his amps as well as Legacy Audio speakers. If you're ever around Houston, it's worth the short trip to check it out.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, LSAF is very laid back and informal, and it's just the nicest bunch of people you'll ever meet. Lots of time to really sit down and listen to the various setups.

Yes, I know Raven is based in East TX. Dave now has a great show room in Onalaska with all his amps as well as Legacy Audio speakers. If you're ever around Houston, it's worth the short trip to check it out.
Friendly Texans? Who knew?

Yeah, I've been wanting to get up to the LSAF some time. Seems like every time I check on it, it's like 1 or 2 weeks away and not enough time for me to plan to get there.

With your info, I think I may just have to make that a priority for 2018.

A show room in Onalaska? Odd! My sister used to live there. I am very familiar with the area.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I've never met one who is actually from there and not nice. People who move there can be a different story.
Agreed.

Dunno, it's just part of that "Southern Hospitality", I guess.

Now, in general, Texans are friendly!

Maybe some parts of DFW, not as much. But, as compared to other parts of the country, still relatively friendly.

Then, you have Austin. Absolutely some of the most laid back and friendly people that you will ever meet. When a native Texan goes up north, we really just can't even begin to understand how/why the people tend to be a bit more rude and snappy.

OscarJr

OscarJr

Junior Audioholic
I just auditioned the Calibre's (and of course the Aeris and Focus) at Raven Audio's showroom in Onalaska, Tx last week. I can't say that the demo'ing went 100% as I'd hope it have, but overall it was a good experience and Dave is the nicest guy out there. I drove hours and hours to-and-from, and I'd do it again.

Last edited:
OscarJr

OscarJr

Junior Audioholic
I decided to expand a little bit on my previous post.

I just auditioned the Calibre's (mostly, but also listened to the Focus SE and Aeris) about two weeks ago at Dave Thomson's showroom in Onalaska, Tx for his Raven Audio & Legacy line-up's. I guess you can say there is a review buried in here somewhere. Of course the Focus and Aeris sounded amazing. Both set-up's are running off of Legacy Wavelet processors and Raven Audio tube amps. Need I say more? Ok, sure! :D I auditioned the Calibre's both in a near-field setup and in the "big room" where the Aeris lives. The setup in the big room is set-up for the Aeris mid/top-end, but even hooked up like that, the Calibre's sounded great! Fantastic little speakers! Coming from owning both B&W and Focal bookshelf's simultaneously, the Calibre's definitely had that nice "heft" but clarity in the mid-bass and midrange that you can't get from smaller bookshelf speakers. The top-end is nice, clear, smooth. I hesitate to use the word "silky" because it sounds soo cliché in the audio world, but I have to use it now---it was nice and silky. :D

And believe you me, I really put them through their paces. I'm not your "typical" audition'er---I brought the worst of the worst to see if they could handle it----about twenty bare-bones, brutal, pummeling tracks by the fathers of grindcore metal, none other than Napalm Death. I've listened to this music for more than a quarter century and been to plenty of concerts so I know exactly what it is all supposed to sound like. Ultra-low down-tuned distorted guitars that only dogs and I can hear (LOL), hammering double bass drum blast beats, endless snare assaults, crashing cymbals, gut-wrenching distorted bass lines, and growling, guttural vocals from Barney Greenway that would make a Tyrannosaurus Rex cower in fear. All handled with ease. I swear that one those Calibre's grew a pair of legs and arms during the audition, walked up to me in the listening chair, and slapped me hard across the face, and said to me, "Is that all you got, punk?! Give me more, I dare you!". They are fearless little devils! :mad:

Right now I'm just waiting for Dave to work on an invoice for the Black Pearl finish with an upgrade for magnetic grills. I hope to soon be the newest owner of Legacy Calibre's. Long live Bill Dudleston and the Legacy Family. :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I decided to expand a little bit on my previous post.

I just auditioned the Calibre's (mostly, but also listened to the Focus SE and Aeris) about two weeks ago at Dave Thomson's showroom in Onalaska, Tx for his Raven Audio & Legacy line-up's. I guess you can say there is a review buried in here somewhere. Of course the Focus and Aeris sounded amazing. Both set-up's are running off of Legacy Wavelet processors and Raven Audio tube amps. Need I say more? Ok, sure! :D I auditioned the Calibre's both in a near-field setup and in the "big room" where the Aeris lives. The setup in the big room is set-up for the Aeris mid/top-end, but even hooked up like that, the Calibre's sounded great! Fantastic little speakers! Coming from owning both B&W and Focal bookshelf's simultaneously, the Calibre's definitely had that nice "heft" but clarity in the mid-bass and midrange that you can't get from smaller bookshelf speakers. The top-end is nice, clear, smooth. I hesitate to use the word "silky" because it sounds soo cliché in the audio world, but I have to use it now---it was nice and silky. :D

And believe you me, I really put them through their paces. I'm not your "typical" audition'er---I brought the worst of the worst to see if they could handle it----about twenty bare-bones, brutal, pummeling tracks by the fathers of grindcore metal, none other than Napalm Death. I've listened to this music for more than a quarter century and been to plenty of concerts so I know exactly what it is all supposed to sound like. Ultra-low down-tuned distorted guitars that only dogs and I can hear (LOL), hammering double bass drum blast beats, endless snare assaults, crashing cymbals, gut-wrenching distorted bass lines, and growling, guttural vocals from Barney Greenway that would make a Tyrannosaurus Rex cower in fear. All handled with ease. I swear that one those Calibre's grew a pair of legs and arms during the audition, walked up to me in the listening chair, and slapped me hard across the face, and said to me, "Is that all you got, punk?! Give me more, I dare you!". They are fearless little devils! :mad:

Right now I'm just waiting for Dave to work on an invoice for the Black Pearl finish with an upgrade for magnetic grills. I hope to soon be the newest owner of Legacy Calibre's. Long live Bill Dudleston and the Legacy Family. :)
Curious, why did you go out of the way to Onalaska? Was that the nearest place for you to get a demo of these? Or, was the Raven Audio just very acommodating?

OscarJr

OscarJr

Junior Audioholic
You are correct on both accounts. It was the closest place to audition any Legacy Audio product, and Dave from Raven Audio was very accommodating for the audition. Once he set up his laptop with the music and all, he pretty much let me have fun with it for the whole day (within limits of course), without any kind of sales pressure what so ever. It was like having a friend have you over to their house and trust you with all this very nice equipment.

Overall it wasn't that bad of a trip. Texas is a big state, and I've driven for far longer periods of time. It was about, what, 5.5 hrs each way give or take.

Last edited:
OscarJr

OscarJr

Junior Audioholic
My Legacy Calibre's in Black Pearl with magnetic grills are now being built! Man, I'm excited! Can't wait! :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I keep seeing adverts for this speaker. I think the internet wants me to own them...

OscarJr

OscarJr

Junior Audioholic
I keep seeing adverts for this speaker. I think the internet wants me to own them...
You can't deny the internet! :) If you have a dealer close by that has them, I'd say they're worth checking out.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis