Left side of room vs MLP. Conundrum on how to rectify?

K

keenly

Enthusiast
Huge peaks on the left side of my room around desk area, where I do like to listen sometimes. MLP is not bad. 1 sub on right side of room. No smoothing or EQ.
How do I EQ this? MLP has dips where as a few feet to left has huge peaks?

Attachments

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Huge peaks on the left side of my room around desk area, where I do like to listen sometimes. MLP is not bad. 1 sub on right side of room. No smoothing or EQ.
How do I EQ this? MLP has dips where as a few feet to left has huge peaks?
If the distance between you and your speakers isn't equal for R & L, you're not going to eliminate peaks & dips, unless by coincidence. Once that's handled, the sub goes where it needs to go.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
So by optimizing the mlp you end up with a huge mode at your desk. If the desk listening position is against the wall, it's going to load up no matter what. You could try relocating the sub, but don't expect miracles. Maybe a better compromise can be found.

Can we throw your money at this? Multiple subs help ameliorate lumpy modal response over more of the room, although the desk area could still be a challenge. Or perhaps a sub specifically calibrated for the desk area (to go with the new, high quality near-field monitors...hey, I did ask if I could spend your money).

K

keenly

Enthusiast
So by optimizing the mlp you end up with a huge mode at your desk. If the desk listening position is against the wall, it's going to load up no matter what. You could try relocating the sub, but don't expect miracles. Maybe a better compromise can be found.

Can we throw your money at this? Multiple subs help ameliorate lumpy modal response over more of the room, although the desk area could still be a challenge. Or perhaps a sub specifically calibrated for the desk area (to go with the new, high quality near-field monitors...hey, I did ask if I could spend your money).
I have 2 subs, both Rel t/i9. Just one on right now.

All measurements are with no EQ. MLP has a couple of dips but not bad naturally. £8000 of room treatment already in here! 10 RPG modex 32hz plates, 2 carbon filer panels at 40-80hz, 5 gik turbo traps etc.

K

keenly

Enthusiast
If the distance between you and your speakers isn't equal for R & L, you're not going to eliminate peaks & dips, unless by coincidence. Once that's handled, the sub goes where it needs to go.
These measurements are just sub, no speakers.
I can place speakers equal distance from walls, no problem.

highfigh

highfigh

These measurements are just sub, no speakers.
I can place speakers equal distance from walls, no problem.
I would mark the spot where the sub is sitting and move it, watching the response in REW- changing the distance in the AVR's menu won't fix problems that are caused by the sub's placement.

You can also download a Room Mode calculator, to see where the better locations would be- these are for determining modes, AKA 'standing waves' and if you took a Physics class in high school or after, you may remember wave propagation in water- the waves interact after reflecting from the sides of the tank in three ways- constructively, destructively and neutrally- sound works in the same way, except it's in three dimensions, rather than two.
You might be able to smooth the response by moving the sub a short distance, but doorways and furniture placement may not allow perfect location.

K

keenly

Enthusiast
I would mark the spot where the sub is sitting and move it, watching the response in REW- changing the distance in the AVR's menu won't fix problems that are caused by the sub's placement.

You can also download a Room Mode calculator, to see where the better locations would be- these are for determining modes, AKA 'standing waves' and if you took a Physics class in high school or after, you may remember wave propagation in water- the waves interact after reflecting from the sides of the tank in three ways- constructively, destructively and neutrally- sound works in the same way, except it's in three dimensions, rather than two.
You might be able to smooth the response by moving the sub a short distance, but doorways and furniture placement may not allow perfect location.
Tried 7 locations for sub. ALL excite 34hz. Even with sub off, measuring with the mic and speakers that only go to 50hz, there is still a resonance at 34 which is picked up.

I may put some tuned traps over on that side.

highfigh

highfigh

Tried 7 locations for sub. ALL excite 34hz. Even with sub off, measuring with the mic and speakers that only go to 50hz, there is still a resonance at 34 which is picked up.

I may put some tuned traps over on that side.
Try setting the crossover frequency for the main speakers higher, around 80Hz. If they're both crossing at 50Hz, you can't avoid them overlapping and having a peak or dip and crossovers don't act like a brick wall where it goes to a frequency setting and stops. Have you tried using only the sub to look at the response?

What are the room's dimensions? They must be very similar if you have a peak in one range in all locations.

K

keenly

Enthusiast
Try setting the crossover frequency for the main speakers higher, around 80Hz. If they're both crossing at 50Hz, you can't avoid them overlapping and having a peak or dip and crossovers don't act like a brick wall where it goes to a frequency setting and stops. Have you tried using only the sub to look at the response?

What are the room's dimensions? They must be very similar if you have a peak in one range in all locations.
16.6ft across from door to doors
15.2ft long
7.945ft to ceiling, with triangle attic above plasterboard/wood that is 4ft at highest.

The measurements are sub only. New one at desk

Attachments

highfigh

highfigh

16.6ft across from door to doors
15.2ft long
7.945ft to ceiling, with triangle attic above plasterboard/wood that is 4ft at highest.

The measurements are sub only. New one at desk
Your room has two modes that are very close together and 35Hz is right in the middle of them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis