Latest additions to your Demo collection??

P

Paul F

Audioholic Intern
Just thought I'd check and see if anyone has found some really hot new SACD and/or DVD-A (or DVD concert) releases to include when demo'ing your system for friends . . . I'm having a group over in a couple of weeks and might need to pick up a few things to put on. I currently have:

DVD-A
Blue Man Group - great
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - awesome
Marvin Gaye 'Forever yours' - ok/nice
Lynryd Skynyrd 'Then & Now' - Dissapointing
Kansas 'From the front row live' - crap

SACD
DSOM - great
Diana Krall 'Live in Paris' - very good
Jeff Beck 'Blow by blow' -ok
The Police 'Every Breath you take' - ok
Michael Oldfield 'Tubular Bells' - great
Handel 'Daniel Chorzempa Concerto Amsterdam' - ok

I probably need to pick up some jazz, reggae, fusion and more classical.

What do you think??

Lastly, maybe I'll start a thread on this, but I am not buying anymore DSD recordings I don't think. I don't understand the need to strictly adhere to the IEEE only 5 speakers and all speakers same size, strict placement and no subwoofer format - when that is clearly not the case in the majority of households putting in new HTS listening/viewing rooms. I think it sounds very poor and doesn't do much to show off my 7.1 system. Why are top musicians/recording acts buying into this??? The DTS, DTS 96/24 and Dolby Digital 5.1 logo disks sound fantastic in comparison and are the only ones I look for now. What's up with DSD??

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

Paul F said:
Why are top musicians/recording acts buying into this??? The DTS, DTS 96/24 and Dolby Digital 5.1 logo disks sound fantastic in comparison and are the only ones I look for now. What's up with DSD??
Those specs. are only "ideal" system configurations. I am sure if you were to have a listening room set to those standards you wouldn't be disappointed. I have come close to that set-up in my HT. However, I will not have a tower speaker for the center channel. Other than that I am pretty close to spec. and I must say I am not disappointed.

I have recently purchased:

Santana - Supernatural- DVD-A-------- I don't like all the songs on the disc, overall is sounds really good.

Everclear - So Much for the Afterglow - DTS-ES 6.1 - DVD-A--- This one sounds really good too.

David Sandborn - Timeagain - DVD-A------ Once again I can't complain. The sax sounds incredible.

I am planning on buying Mahler Symphony 9 by San Francisco Symphony. SACD. I have bought all the Mahler symphonies in this SFSO cycle and they all sound great!

I agree on the Kansas DVD-A, I couldn't even give it away to my dad, and he loves Kansas. :(

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
I don't have my setup yet, but I already have a list of SACD discs I want to get.

First on the list is the Beatles: Abbey Road, probably their best engineered album. Then Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon. I'm also looking for a version of the 1812 Overture that uses genuine cannons. I have a vinyl digital album with that and it is just awesome in 2 channel stereo. I'd love to hear how that sounds in surround.

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
Telarc 1812

Telarc has released the 1812 Overture on SACD. It was recorded completely in DSD including the cannons, but be aware, the cannons can destroy thousand of dollars of equipment if you’re not careful

picked mine up at BB

JVC

JVC

Banned
I like the sampler dvd-a disc that came with my Audigy 2 ZS Platinum sound card. It is a mix of different music. It sounds great...........

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

nibhaz said:
Telarc has released the 1812 Overture on SACD. It was recorded completely in DSD including the cannons, but be aware, the cannons can destroy thousand of dollars of equipment if you’re not careful

picked mine up at BB
I have this disc and it is a very good recording. I think I like track 6 "Festival Coronation March" the best, talk about raw orchestral power. It also gives you some pink noise tracks which can be useful when tweaking a system if you don't have one of the other discs. (Avia, DVE)

B

BobbyT

Junior Audioholic
DVDA
Eagles-Hotel California
Queensryche-Empire

D

DISCMAN

Audioholic Intern
DVD-A
Seal-Best Of

SACD
Frankie Goes To Hollywood-best of

sts9fan

sts9fan

Banned
reggae

I have "legalize it" by Peter Tosh on SACD and I think its great. As a huge reggae fan/audio snob I find myself in a conundrum because a lot of the classics that I love were not recorded very well. Its just the nature of the beast. Its peoples music that was recorded cheaply. :(
Anyway is there any other reggae fans out there that might know some well recorded stuff??

Any fans of some good Dub I would recommend Matisyahu "Shake off the Dust......Arise

Its great dub reggae with a twist. Its Hisidic(sp) Jew gospel music. I highly recommend it for reggae fans looking for something fresh. Also considering much of reggae is religous in nature it fits well.

R

rschleicher

Audioholic
great Dub record

STS9fan,

Have you ever listened to Garvey's Ghost by Burning Spear? It is a dub version of their "strait reggae" Marcus Garvey album (more or less). I don't know if it is available in CD form, or if it is even available at all. I bought my vinyl copy in a cut-out bin at an outdoor (thatched-roof) music shop in Ocho Rios, Jamaica, while on my honeymoon in 1978.

The sound is very good - bass and percussion are mixed very loud, and the guitar and horns fade in and out. The vocals are pretty minimalist, and also fade in and out of the mix, in "ghost-like" fashion.

sts9fan

sts9fan

Banned
Burning Spear

He is one of my favorites and my girlfriends absolute favorite. We saw him last week in NYC which was great. Anyway I don'y have that album but I will check it out. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis