Laptop microphone input equalizer software

S

sspltd

Audiophyte
Hi everyone; I'm new and trying to find the mechanics of this forum. :confused:

I joined because I hope to find someone with knowledge about software equalizers for XP on a laptop. Because nobody makes mike input tone controls for laptops, I am hoping to get the software equivalent so I can get rid of the hi and low frequencies from the headset microphone. :rolleyes:

All laptops I have tried (both mine and friends and new ones in the stores) have the same issue. They produce sound that has too much bass and treble and they mess up VOIP communication. Skype does not have tone control settings so my contacts complain that I sound crappy with too much bass and treble. Nice sound for audiophyles, but lousy for internet telephone communication. :(

Any ideas?

Thanks,:)

David Marshall (sspltd)

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Basically you need an input pre-amp. Not sure if any "on board" sound card will have the feature since the software drivers made for them provide only the basic functions as a cost saving measure. Some out board sound cards might provide the function but you will have to ask around on a computer forum. This may not be the right place for it.

But here is a cheap hardware equalizer. Insert it between the microphone and the input jack on the computer. Down side, it is not very portable and needs a wall outlet.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/130539-REG/ART_EQ351_351_Single_Channel.html

Last edited:
S

sspltd

Audiophyte
Thanks Agarwalro

I will keep plugging and find a solution. The website link is a good one for future projects. I may have to buy a laptop with an aux input and modify a mixer so that the phantom voltage won't mess with the headset mic.

Thanks again.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Laptop mic

You might try a USB or PCMCIA sound card with mic or line input and decent software to solve the limitations of the built in mic input on your laptop.

Did you try a better or different mic to make sure it is not the weakest link?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis