JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
Im sure this has come up before but here we go. Im not real computer savvy so the task of choosing a laptop is a little daunting for me. Im thinking about getting a Dell. The reason im posting here is, I intend to use it to run REW. My question is, what inputs and outputs are necessry and or desirable to do this. Do I need to be able to hook up to anything other than the mic? Is it necessary to use a feedback loop, if so is there a sound card anyone would recommend? Is there anything else I should be considering? Im just trying to make the right purchase the first time. Thanks for your input and undoubtedly, your patience.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Make sure it has an hdmi out as its much easier to test individual channels and the setup is easy with USB mic. You will need this driver installed in order for it to work. And this was the tutorial I followed.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I bought several used Thinkpads on ebay and they were awesome.
If you have a displayport or mini-displayport (mini-dp) - these easily convert to hdmi with cheap adapters

btw - just for visual reference - notice how DP port is has only one notch on left, hdmi has two
displayport:

mini-DP:

and Hdmi of course:

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Make sure it has an hdmi out as its much easier to test individual channels and the setup is easy with USB mic. You will need this driver installed in order for it to work. And this was the tutorial I followed.
Thanks for that link too. No joke, my laptop has HDMI but I just have it going to a 22" monitor. You're saying to run audio on HDMI to a rec'r? I'm sure the linked tutorial will be enlightening to say the least.

Hey I have a practical question that might help. How do they overlay graph traces and how do they stack traces so they are on the same graph but not overlaid? That's like the next level of REW-Fu for me. TIA

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for that link too. No joke, my laptop has HDMI but I just have it going to a 22" monitor. You're saying to run audio on HDMI to a rec'r? I'm sure the linked tutorial will be enlightening to say the least.

Hey I have a practical question that might help. How do they overlay graph traces and how do they stack traces so they are on the same graph but not overlaid? That's like the next level of REW-Fu for me. TIA
Yes feed the laptop to the avr, as that will be your audio out and the usb will be audio in. As for graphs ill take a couple of screen shots when i get home if needed. I run a system response then i do individual channels then use the overlay function in the tool-bar to show all ran test on one graph.

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
Sounds like all I really need is HDMI. :cool:
Thanks everyone.

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
Alex, any particular reason you mentioned Vista? I assumed you were joking but, I will probably be running Win 7. Im not too keen on Win 10's spying software.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Alex, any particular reason you mentioned Vista? I assumed you were joking but, I will probably be running Win 7. Im not too keen on Win 10's spying software.
I actually have Vista but I was joking. Everett's link talked about compatibility and Vista wasn't even mentioned. REW works for me but I have an ECM800 mic with an external sound card so the peripherals are different and I don't currently use the drivers Everett linked.

I couldn't add anything of value to a computer discussion if my life depended on it. However I do trust BSA and was taking a peak at the Lenovo laptops he mentioned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThinkPad_T_Series

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
Im pricing new and Lenovo actually came in at a grand under Dell for comparable configuration. And I can get it with Win 7. ;)
Now to search refurb and closeouts to see if I can find same machine for less.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Ive had no issues with REW on win7 ultimate, win 8.1, and 10. Id assume no issues with vista as Alex is taking measurements :p

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Ive had no issues with REW on win7 ultimate, win 8.1, and 10. Id assume no issues with vista as Alex is taking measurements :p
My route to measurements was the cheapest available option 10 years ago or so.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis