Laptop and phone in the service of music

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Beginners and audiophytes indeed:

Just got it:

It's updating and I'm gonna run out and get breakfast (pizza) but I wanna get iTunes and download CD's into it to be able to listen on Blue Tooth earplugs.

I've got Apple Music for a month but don't see myself paying for the service. $55/year to Pandora seems worth it though. In case anybody missed it, this is the machine:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-E5-575G-53VG-15-6-Inch-Windows/dp/B01DT4A2R4/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1487963762&sr=1-2&keywords=Acer+Aspire+E15

I found this on cNet regarding SSD's:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-ssds-solid-state-drives-work-increase-lifespan/?ftag=COS-05-10aaa0h&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=58c3fbddf6d7a100070e9a79&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

I want to delete whatever anti virus malware protection they offer and go with MSE at some point. I've got a bunch of music on the Vista machine from ripped CD's in Lossless WMA files. I'll probably just let that go in favor of the iTunes/iPhone flavor but we'll see.

I need a printer, maybe fax capable in case I get a land line or is there a way to do that with a smart phone?

It has updated and I'm stuffed to the gills on pizza. More winning.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
For occasional fax I'd rather use some online service. There whole bunch of them (hint it's not just efax)
but this one is free for occasional use:
https://faxzero.com/ with only issue is 3 pages limit, but 5 fax/day means you get free 15 pages per day and it's honestly a lot.
Otherwise you'd need a pots landline or voip->analog service from your cable provider.
If you don't care to print photos - get laser Multi Function Unit(mfu) printer. I like models by Brother. HP brushed me the wrong way with using DRM on toners/ink cartridges. I have old Canon color mfu and tbh - I would pissed if I actually paid money for it. It's painfully slow printer and quite limited. It won't even show toner left percentage. Yes, that bad.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Color printing is sort of nice to have. I hardly use it but I like having it. I checked to see what Consumer reports had to say and a mix of budget and physical size led me to this:

https://files.support.epson.com/docid/cpd4/cpd42851/index.html

100 bucks at Best Buy. Same as Amazon pricing. I'll get the XL sized ink from Amazon.

Why does my AH login read that the connection isn't secure and logins could be compromised? I'm using Firefox and it says it on the Vista and Windows 10 machines.

The manual on the 10 machine doesn't have the interactive contents displayed on the left side bar like the Vista machine does. It's weird. And I have trouble finding the download because of my unfamiliarity. This is proving to be frustrating but not to worry. In a very short period of time I expect to be the AH go-to guy for computer advice. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Color printing is sort of nice to have. I hardly use it but I like having it. I checked to see what Consumer reports had to say and a mix of budget and physical size led me to this:

https://files.support.epson.com/docid/cpd4/cpd42851/index.html

100 bucks at Best Buy. Same as Amazon pricing. I'll get the XL sized ink from Amazon.

Why does my AH login read that the connection isn't secure and logins could be compromised? I'm using Firefox and it says it on the Vista and Windows 10 machines.

The manual on the 10 machine doesn't have the interactive contents displayed on the left side bar like the Vista machine does. It's weird. And I have trouble finding the download because of my unfamiliarity. This is proving to be frustrating but not to worry. In a very short period of time I expect to be the AH go-to guy for computer advice. Stay tuned.
FireFox has another update- two in three days.

I have an ACER (using it now) and it has been very good. The lid is broken- I was using it with my USB camera on a flexible stalk and it fell off the top of my 6' A-frame ladder while I was looking above a basement ceiling. I need to figure out a way to make it secure when I do that. Or, I guess I could get Virtual Reality goggles.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
FireFox has another update- two in three days.

I have an ACER (using it now) and it has been very good.
I'm with you on the Acer experience ... so far. Really, this is a blast. For starters, the battery lasts longer than 20 minutes and super fast boot time compared to the old machine. I've got Pandora and iTunes working through a USB sound card.

I'll need to figure out how to access iTunes from my phone now. I actually have a few albums downloaded into iTunes but am a ways away from being like good at it or being able to burn CD's of playlists. Soon though. I guess I should buy some CD's.

Regarding printers, I want a color printer. This Epson seems like enough based on Consumer Reports, size and budget considerations. Then again, my old printer might just need ink.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm with you on the Acer experience ... so far. Really, this is a blast. For starters, the battery lasts longer than 20 minutes and super fast boot time compared to the old machine. I've got Pandora and iTunes working through a USB sound card.

I'll need to figure out how to access iTunes from my phone now. I actually have a few albums downloaded into iTunes but am a ways away from being like good at it or being able to burn CD's of playlists. Soon though. I guess I should buy some CD's.

Regarding printers, I want a color printer. This Epson seems like enough based on Consumer Reports, size and budget considerations. Then again, my old printer might just need ink.
I had bad luck when I purchased an Epson XP-600 from Amazon. It completely died within 1 week! Several reviews on there had similar complaints, and I had read them before purchase, but figured it would work out OK. Wrong!

So, it went back and I now have a Canon MG6220 instead. It has been a fine printer, but it does seem to use a lot of ink (reviews stated this too), and Canon Ink is not cheap! But, I have started purchasing my ink as refilled carts from a vendor on Amazon, so far I've used about 4 of their carts with no problems.

I agree with BSA--for general printing, Laser is the way to go! And, the Brother laser jets that I have used are bulletproof. But, not a good option for photos.

In general, it seems to me that you have 2 options for printers--buy a cheap printer that uses expensive ink, or buy an expensive printer that uses cheap ink. In the long run, you are better off to buy the expensive printer with the cheap ink.

As a further example--you mentioned that printer for $100. How much does a full set of ink carts cost? Probably $50 or more?

EDIT: I see that as I was responding, BSA was too. Same advice, spend more on the printer and less on the ink! Now, I don't use my printer that often and I did not follow my own advice. I get around that somewhat due to less usage, and the fact that I found refilled carts for a reasonable price.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
My workaround - I got a color laser printer - it ok for colored graphs and occasional color web page/pp slides print-out, but horrid for photos. I use compatible toners at $17 a pop (there are four of them) to save few bucks. but same principle applies - spend more on printer is better long term strategy. I'm not huge fan of my current printer, but I did get for free from few jobs ago. with only minor maintenance was required to bring it to 100%.
But if I had to pay for it - it's msrp was $500 (lets say $350-400 retail)
https://techcrunch.com/2009/10/09/review-canon-color-imageclass-mf8050cn-all-in-one-printer/

Bear in mind, If not used ink does dry and have to be discarded, but not toner.
Speaking of Brother - they make really good color laser printers

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Bear in mind, If not used ink does dry and have to be discarded, but not toner.
Speaking of Brother - they make really good color laser printers
Very good point, and I have personally suffered from dried up ink due to inactivity.

After I learned that lesson the hard way, I will be sure to at least print a test page or do a nozzle cleaning every couple of weeks.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
A quick search produced this Brother copier. It's tall and expensive enough to really make me rethink a small size ink replacement for right now. $35 for a combo ink package may get me past whatever I need for the short term anyway, and don't get me wrong, I need a scanner/color printer right now. The XL sized ink cartridge combo for mine, HP 60 XL, runs at $88. That's practically the price of the Epson xp 830. So 35 bucks is a decent gamble on making it work. I did the clean paper tray feed thing (which was glitchy) and the gambit of clean jet things.

I got some 4 legged cable pants and some CD's to burn too.

That linked Brother is way too tall. I don't print a lot of stuff and my ink may have dried out but I'd rather just buy small ink packs for mine and replace them once a year, or whatever, than have The Borg craft dock in ManTown. :D

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
A quick search produced this Brother copier. It's tall and expensive enough to really make me rethink a small size ink replacement for right now. $35 for a combo ink package may get me past whatever I need for the short term anyway, and don't get me wrong, I need a scanner/color printer right now. The XL sized ink cartridge combo for mine, HP 60 XL, runs at $88. That's practically the price of the Epson xp 830. So 35 bucks is a decent gamble on making it work. I did the clean paper tray feed thing (which was glitchy) and the gambit of clean jet things.

That linked Brother is way too tall. I don't print a lot of stuff and my ink may have dried out but I'd rather just buy small ink packs for mine and replace them once a year, or whatever, than have The Borg craft dock in ManTown. :D
Oh yeah, it wasn't too clear before, but what you are saying, your ink may have dried up on you.

It has happened to me in the past. At that time, the vendor was gracious and replaced my "faulty" ink cart, but they warned me that it was likely my fault due to not using it enough.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

If you're not russian , you could set alert for $260 and wait till it hits it again:
https://thetracktor.com//detail/B016AT5WES/us/

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

If you want music from iTunes on your phone, open iTunes in your computer, connect your phone and press Synch. First, create a playlist.

Read up about saving data from your phone on the apple site and in the Apple community. Also, right click on a song title and click on Info- it will show you the resolution, etc.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
The ink worked. I also got the mouse/keyboard/printer/scanner drivers for the new laptop. Pretty basic, I know but when you just got done eating a banana with your feet ... this is something. Sh!t ... I think I'm done with vista. Like the new machine is hardwired and charging with an HDMI out in use. It's quiet too. It's weird finding my way around to change what happens to the power/sleep/nothing when the lid closes but I knew it was there somewhere so I looked until I found it. Wow ... there's nothing left to do but pull the vista machine out and what? never turn it back on? That's what I did with the xp. Oh well ... so long vista.

*sniff* sniff* :D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The ink worked. I also got the mouse/keyboard/printer/scanner drivers for the new laptop. Pretty basic, I know but when you just got done eating a banana with your feet ... this is something. Sh!t ... I think I'm done with vista. Like the new machine is hardwired and charging with an HDMI out in use. It's quiet too. It's weird finding my way around to change what happens to the power/sleep/nothing when the lid closes but I knew it was there somewhere so I looked until I found it. Wow ... there's nothing left to do but pull the vista machine out and what? never turn it back on? That's what I did with the xp. Oh well ... so long vista.

*sniff* sniff* :D
I hear ya. I got a quite similar feeling of great accomplishment then I repaired old Onkyo avr front display by re-soldering a pair of resistors I got on ebay for $5 or currently repairing my old Panasonic plasma tv by having one of boards serviced by shop in TX (replacing singular component is unfortunately not possible in this case, as its surface mounted chip with lots of legs)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Picture time. I need to put in a couple of those grommet things in on either side of the monitor to be able to drag the monitor and keyboard around. This is good for now and I even got Photobucket working. Proof:

Drawer closed:

Open drawer to access dvd drive:

Open lid to access Power Button ... only, I guess.

The only glitch is that I will have to share a USB port between the printer and sound card. No biggie but is there an adapter cable going from USB 3 to USB 2? It's a different connector, right? I got my scan done and turned the printer off anyway.

No phone syncing yet. I managed to get some music off the vista via an SD card and into itunes and burned onto a disc. I thought it sounded ... weak. It's WAV to Apple Lossless if it matters. It could just be me. Pandora is cranking out some Beth Hart and all is well.

Vista Down

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Picture time. I need to put in a couple of those grommet things in on either side of the monitor to be able to drag the monitor and keyboard around. This is good for now and I even got Photobucket working. Proof:

Drawer closed:

Open drawer to access dvd drive:

Open lid to access Power Button ... only, I guess.

The only glitch is that I will have to share a USB port between the printer and sound card. No biggie but is there an adapter cable going from USB 3 to USB 2? It's a different connector, right? I got my scan done and turned the printer off anyway.

No phone syncing yet. I managed to get some music off the vista via an SD card and into itunes and burned onto a disc. I thought it sounded ... weak. It's WAV to Apple Lossless if it matters. It could just be me. Pandora is cranking out some Beth Hart and all is well.

Vista Down
I'm not too familiar with USB3.0 yet, but I believe you should be able to get a USB hub to solve these issues.

You could also run dual monitors. One internal to the laptop and the 2nd external. That can be really useful if you are actually doing work here. I've seen people run 1 monitor horizontal and the other vertical, quite a useful setup.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
You could also run dual monitors.
Not sure about that. I could on the vista machine but the menu doesn't seem to have that option in the new machine. Maybe I just don't know where to look but I hardly need 2 monitors. The external monitor is bigger with a better picture so that's the ticket.

Even the power options on this machine don't have the computer wake up from sleep when the keyboard or mouse are moved. Not too keen on that but I will live with it until I find a way.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Not sure about that. I could on the vista machine but the menu doesn't seem to have that option in the new machine. Maybe I just don't know where to look but I hardly need 2 monitors. The external monitor is bigger with a better picture so that's the ticket.

Even the power options on this machine don't have the computer wake up from sleep when the keyboard or mouse are moved. Not too keen on that but I will live with it until I find a way.
Well, for what it's worth, Vista was a real piece of crap OS. In my humble opinion, of course. But, I suspect that BSA will agree there too.

I'm assuming you've moved to Win10? I'm fairly certain it has these options, you just haven't seen them yet. It does take a little learning and getting re-adjusted to.

So far, I have personally been quite please with Win10. But, I'm not a power user by any means.

And yeah, I only see the benefit of dual monitors in the work environment. Raw data on screen 1, spreadsheet on screen 2. Or, actively working on screen 1 and monitoring a remote computer on screen 2, stuff along those lines.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis