j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

I am not so big on musicals, but I went to this one with the little lady. I did see that it was nominated for and won quite a few golden globes, so there had to be something to it right? I enjoyed this director's previous film, Whiplash quite a bit and I was honestly surprised with this one as well (and he wrote this script too). OK, you REALLY need to get past the opening number and let it dig in a bit because it doesn't get rolling right off the bat. The first number doesn't seem to have anything to do with the film besides introducing the main characters. What i liked about this one is not just that there's depth and weight to the characters and a story that feels ominous in a way yet happy at the same time, it is that it also pokes fun at and pays tribute to movies AND music at the same time. There's whole scenes and songs that pay homage to old Hollywood without feeling cheesy. The trailer sort of makes it look like something it isn't because you don't have the full context.

The story revolves around the two main characters and their struggles as they pursue their dreams (an actress and a musician). It is kind of funny that they are stereotypical characters that you would expect to see living in Hollywood today yet this script makes them very real, honest and human feeling, something this director does very well. These two have pretty good on screen chemistry together. They find each other and discover they have similar determination to reach their goals though they're both sort of "stuck" in a rut at the moment. They each encourage the other and sometimes that's all one needs to take that next step. Sometimes you have to swallow your pride and do what you need to do to get where you want to go.

The music is excellent and well recorded. The songs stayed with both of us and we were still talking about and listening to them nearly a week later. The cinematography is very good as well, shot in many famous and familiar Hollywood locations. The story sounds simple on the surface, but there's a lot going on and I like how it ended. The performances were highly memorable. All in all, this film deserves all of the buzz it is getting. I am not necessarily saying you should see it in the theater, but I am glad I did and for me and I'll be watching this one again.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Wanted to add a few things. I hate what Hollywood has become. Pretentious, pompous, gaudy, self-righteous. This film is not like that. The trailers can make it seem a little bit of a chick flick and it also isn't really that either. Got that impression that my buddies had of it.

Watching the Fred/Ginger-esque sequence, I felt a little like this too:

Leon watching Singing in the Rain lol. OK, the dancing isn't as good as those scenes they're paying homage to, but it was fun to see it done and it fit the film.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis